Oshawa city council brawl leads to assault charges

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The first fall meeting of Oshawa city council turned bloody on Tuesday after the mayor asked that several members of the public be removed from the council chamber for being disruptive.

The incident was captured on amateur video as a security guard attempted to grab the arm of a man seated near the back of the room.

In the video, the two men grapple and fall to the floor as a pair of plainclothes officers jump in to arrest the man.

Another video posted on YouTube shows the same guard, as well as a second guard, dragging a different man towards the door of the council chamber.

The camera pans away momentarily as a plainclothes officer puts the man in a headlock and pins him to the ground.

The camera operator is repeatedly heard yelling, "stop assaulting him," and later refers to the man as "Dan" outside, as police place the arrested man in the back of a cruiser.

Daniel Hammond, 52, and Bill Steele, 46, are both facing charges for assault and failing to leave the meeting.

"I'm very angry, this is not my city. It doesn't reflect my city," said Oshawa regional and city councillor Tito-Dante Marimpietri.

At a staff appreciation picnic on Wednesday, Oshawa Mayor John Henry said he ordered the removal because some members of the public didn't comply after being asked to quiet down.

"I was just happy we dealt with it the way we did and protected those people in the room including those staff," Henry said.

At last night's meeting council was considering the findings of an investigation by the auditor general that raised concerns that city staff had misled council about a land deal.

video

Oshawa city council brawl leads to assault charges - Toronto - CBC News