Walmart worker fired over discrimination

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Well, it is Walmart........

An incident of racial discrimination against three Guelph students has led to the termination of a Walmart cashier.

On Tuesday evening, Yasamin Zia took to social media to publicly express her disgust with the way she was treated by an employee at the big-box retailer on Stone Road.

“Today my friends and I were at Walmart and as we approached the cashier she immediately started disrespecting us and giving us attitude,” Zia wrote in the post.

The employee refused to cash them out and told them they weren’t citizens, she said.

“You’re not Canadian citizens, I need to see pictures of your citizenship, you can’t pay for this,” Zia wrote, quoting the cashier in the online post.

This is when a manager got involved and cashed them out, assuring Zia and her friends the situation would be dealt with.

“I'm appalled, this was my first time getting discriminated against my skin colour,” she wrote.

On Wednesday, the Mercury Tribune contacted Walmart Canada about the incident. Company spokesperson Anika Malik responded with an email statement.

“Respect is a core value at Walmart Canada and we do not tolerate any behaviour which contradicts this value. We are taking this matter very seriously and can confirm that the associate in question is no longer with the company.”

Zia's friends, Sunny Nakra and Prithika Coomaraswamy, were with her when this incident occurred.

Nakra said he feels the discrimination was based on race. He said he is Hindu Punjabi, Coomaraswamy is of Sri Lankan descent and Zia is of Iranian descent. All three of them were born and raised in Canada. He described the cashier as a middle-aged woman of Caucasian descent.

"We were all deeply upset by the disrespectful and discriminatory behaviour of the cashier. This is completely unacceptable, especially from a widely well-reputed corporation like Walmart," he said.

After filing a complaint, the students received an apology from the store manager and the district manager. They were also informed that the cashier was no longer with the company.

"We feel like these are steps in the right direction, but that there is clearly much room for improvement in Walmart’s hiring and training standards

Employee fired from Guelph Walmart over discrimination complaint

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Why do these millennial snowflakes always run to social media to report these alleged transgressions?

Seems like the situation was handled properly. Why couldn't they just leave well enough alone. So there's arsehole employees that work for companies? Gee, I had no idea.

Why is this even news?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Why do these millennial snowflakes always run to social media to report these alleged transgressions?

Seems like the situation was handled properly. Why couldn't they just leave well enough alone. So there's arsehole employees that work for companies? Gee, I had no idea.

Why is this even news?

It's news because the media loves to point out and shame the people they love to call 'racist'.

The irony is that it points out that all Canadians are not swallowing the BS propaganda that 'Canada welcomes ALL immigrants' and 'Canadians want more immigrants'.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Why is this even news?

because they want the employee to be Aryan. gagging for it.

perhaps even 'liked' an old stock Canadian group or trump or rob ford fb page sometime. :lol:

they're searching for doxx stuff I'm sure.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Why do both sides of this argument try simplify it when it is not a simple situation?
First I trust the store manager and regional managers did some investigation on
this matter and fired the employee. By the same token we don't know what in fact
transpired prior to the incident.
Another thing I have seen personally some pretty crappy treatment of people cause
of their color or custom dress and the people transgressed upon said nothing
In other cases I have seen people shout racism or favoritism when such claims were
not warranted. When judgements are made the outcome or end of an event should
not be the only factor considered what precipitated the incident shout also be taken
into account.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Wonder if this one got discriminated about

Betcha she don't take no sh*t from nobody!

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
That's what i don't get, "Oh My God a White Person told me to go back to the Middle East" which ends up becoming a CBC exclusive where the investigative journalists label the entire city the incident occurred in as racist.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That's what i don't get, "Oh My God a White Person told me to go back to the Middle East" which ends up becoming a CBC exclusive where the investigative journalists label the entire city the incident occurred in as racist.

One, it's not a "CBC exclusive".

two, nowhere in the article can I find where the writer has stated or implied that the entire city is racist.

So, is it your normal "modus operandi" to lie?

Wonder if this one got discriminated about

Betcha she don't take no sh*t from nobody!

and this has what to do with the OP?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
One, it's not a "CBC exclusive".

two, nowhere in the article can I find where the writer has stated or implied that the entire city is racist.

So, is it your normal "modus operandi" to lie?

I'm not going to lie i got triggered by the CBC article i quoted in a previous thread and that's why i'm writing like this regarding this topic only. And i'm aware im being snifily snifily or however canuck says it.

My beef is that they didn't hold the Muslim community in the same regard during the previous two lone wolf attacks as they're doing to Quebecois after the Mosque shooting incident.

Now obviously Zehaf-Bibeau for example represents a fringe element and his actions don't reflect upon the Muslim community as a whole while on the other hand the CBC found that the Mosque Shooters actions justified generalizing a whole province which i think is bull****. I know what im doing is disingenuous and petty but generalizing a whole province is just as petty. I didnt appreciate it

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm not going to lie i got triggered by the CBC article i quoted in a previous thread and that's why i'm writing like this regarding this topic only. And i'm aware im being snifily snifily or however canuck says it.

My beef is that they didn't hold the Muslim community in the same regard during the previous two lone wolf attacks as they're doing to Quebecois after the Mosque shooting incident.

Now obviously Zehaf-Bibeau for example represents a fringe element and his actions don't reflect upon the Muslim community as a whole while on the other hand the CBC found that the Mosque Shooters actions justified generalizing a whole province which i think is bull****. I know what im doing is disingenuous and petty but generalizing a whole province is just as petty. I didnt appreciate it

and that has what to do with an ignorant, bigoted walmart employee?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Nonsence, a Wallmart Worker cannot discrimate between farts and freshair.If they would rise above the mushrooms and organize thery could suck Walmart Dry. Common Core though cannot think about next week.