City struggles to find Handicapped meeting space

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Toronto city planners thought they’d found the perfect place to hold a public meeting on an accessible, affordable housing project in Toronto’s east end.

The only trouble? The Legion Beaches Branch isn’t accessible.

We tried to find an alternative, Lazy Daisy’s, but there was no accessible washroom.”

“I wanted to check out the meeting but found out the (legion) was not accessible,” said Ball, who for the last 11 years has lived with the effects of multiple, progressive auto-immune disorders and has used a power wheelchair for the last six.

“I was very concerned for my safety and for the other (differently abled people) who would have been attending. It wasn’t a very good idea to book that building.”

She was also unimpressed that the alternative venue, Lazy Daisy’s, didn’t have accessible washrooms.

“I told (the city) that this is still not accessible. How am I supposed to sit through a three-hour meeting and not use the washroom,” said Ball, who was considering filing a complaint with the Ontario Human Right Commission if the situation wasn’t addressed.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ing-project-booked-at-inaccessible-venue.html