Human rights tribunal set to hear complaint over Mississauga team names

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Human rights tribunal set to hear complaint over Mississauga team names
By Jenny Yuen, Toronto Sun
First posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 07:41 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 07:54 PM EDT
TORONTO - It all began with an offer for his daughter to play on the Mississauga Chiefs.
Brad Gallant had been following the #notmymascot movement and told a coach from the minor league hockey team he found the name offensive to aboriginals. That’s when the coach told him, “Buddy, get over it. That’s never going to change.”
It was that complacency which eventually sparked the status Qalipu Mi’kmaq to file a human rights complaint against the City of Mississauga — which the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario will hear beginning on Nov. 21 — over its sponsorship of five of its minor hockey clubs whose names and logos Gallant says are culturally insensitive.
“All I’m seeking is change, nothing for me,” Gallant, who’s in his late 40s, said Wednesday. “I’m trying not to blame anyone. This is an inconsistency in our society. Let’s fix it and move on and do better.”
Gallant said he approached the city in early 2015 to cut funding to the teams until they changed their names. When the city instead deferred the issue to the clubs, only offering to be a mediator, Gallant determined it wasn’t good enough. In April of that year, he filed a formal complaint with the tribunal.
Two of the teams have already changed their names — the Lorne Park Ojibwa are now the Lorne Park Clarkson Wild and the Meadowvale Mohawks team changed its name to the Meadowvale Hawks.
“Right now, indigenous people are not proud of being Canadian because of all the stuff they have to put up with,” Gallant said. “If you have a welcoming environment, and — at the very least — not made fun when he comes off the reserve into the city, it’ll be better for all of us.”
The City of Mississauga said its recreation department tries to be as inclusive as possible when promoting youth sports programs and supporting local hockey teams by granting them preferred access to facilities.
“With respect to the selection of team names, mascots and logos, the city is not involved in any way in this process,” city lawyer Graham Walsh said in a statement. “It is our hope that the HRTO will be able to bring all sides of this matter together to find a solution that is beneficial to all while maintaining the valuable service that these teams provide to the people of Mississauga.”
The hearing is expected to last three days.
jyuen@postmedia.com
Brad Gallant, who filed a human rights complaint against Mississauga, took notice of protests against aboriginal-based sports team names, including the Washington Redskins. (Getty Images files)

Human rights tribunal set to hear complaint over Mississauga team names | Toront

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The name "Vikings" is discriminatory, because it implies that all Scandanavians are brutal, murderous, sea wolves. Most of them are rather nice people.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The Mississauga "Ice Dogs" is speciesist, the Jack Russell Terrier in the logo was found to be insulting by Poodles and Pommeranians and they finally shut them down.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The nice thing about going to Georgetown or Virginia Tech is nobody can figure out what a "Hoya" or a "Hokie" is.

I'm sure it don't stop 'em from complaining, though.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Is that even within the jurisdiction of the HRC?
Probably not. Nobody's ever gone hungry over an "inappropriate" team name ... but call somebody a name that isn't theirs....

Tax dollars at work

Are they "of colour"?
Cows are brown, black, white ... horses pretty much the same ... veggies are mostly GREEN. Lives are involved ... but of no concern to someone who's looking for ways to offend themselves

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
control language
control thought
and cause balkanism and make certain no one can unite

its all about control by the undeserving

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The name "Vikings" is discriminatory, because it implies that all Scandanavians are brutal, murderous, sea wolves. Most of them are rather nice people.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish implies all Irishmen are scrappy leprechauns. I know some Irishmen and they aren't very scrappy

Probably not. Nobody's ever gone hungry over an "inappropriate" team name...

Is it inappropriate though. Didn't chiefs exist? Don't they still? I'm a Fire Chief. I don't find it offensive and it's a good thing I don't. I'd make all the injuns quit using the term

the maple leafs team name is offensive to winners.

Laine BABY!!!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Notre Dame Fighting Irish implies all Irishmen are scrappy leprechauns. I know some Irishmen that aren't very scrappy

The San Diego Padres, by any chance?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
well hillary embodies all the sexist minorities in one body
if she gets elected cic of the us armed forces
the good bi us jokes will be rampant

instead of the Washington red skins
they will be hence forth known as the
washingmachinington spincycle carpet burns