Ontario bans cities from removing fluoride

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The Ontario legislature voted Thursday to ban cities from removing fluoride from their water supplies.

Though the motion brought forward by a Liberal MPP is non-binding —meaning it’s more symbolic than prescriptive —it could send a clear signal to cities and suggest where the government is headed next.

Mississauga-Streetsville MPP Bob Delaney brought the issue to the floor of the legislature because Peel region, which includes his riding, has a motion on its book to remove fluoride form its water. The negative ion has been added to drinking supplies since the 1950s after it was discovered areas with more naturally occurring fluoride had better dental health. Stratford, Ontario, is one city where there’s enough natural fluoride it doesn’t need more added, Delaney said, but other cities need a bit more for the dental health benefits to take effect.

And Peel is far from alone in considering what Delaney called the “junk science” behind anti-fluoridization campaigns.

From Prince George, British Columbia, to Moncton, New Brunswick, cities across the country have opted to remove fluoride from their water. Dentists and public health experts in the Atlantic province have urged city councillors to reverse course in a statement this week.

The call follows the release of a study earlier this year examining dental health in Calgary, which stopped fluoridating its water in May 2011. The study found grade 2 students’ dental health declined measurably within three years of the cessation.

Ontario Minister of Health Eric Hoskins, himself a medical doctor, said earlier this year. “The benefits of water fluoridation are well documented and have been endorsed by groups ranging from the Canadian Dental Association and Public Health Agency of Canada to the World Health Organization and U.S. Centers for Disease Control.

“In fact, the Centers for Disease Control has called the use of fluoride in drinking water one of the greatest public health achievements of the 20th Century,” he said.

Ontario legislature votes to ban cities from removing fluoride from their water supplies | National Post

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Good.

Next they need to ban children from schools if they aren't properly vaccinated.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The Ontario legislature voted Thursday to ban cities from removing fluoride from their water supplies.

Though the motion brought forward by a Liberal MPP is non-binding —meaning it’s more symbolic than prescriptive —it could send a clear signal to cities and suggest where the government is headed next.

Mississauga-Streetsville MPP Bob Delaney brought the issue to the floor of the legislature because Peel region, which includes his riding, has a motion on its book to remove fluoride form its water. The negative ion has been added to drinking supplies since the 1950s after it was discovered areas with more naturally occurring fluoride had better dental health. Stratford, Ontario, is one city where there’s enough natural fluoride it doesn’t need more added, Delaney said, but other cities need a bit more for the dental health benefits to take effect.

And Peel is far from alone in considering what Delaney called the “junk science” behind anti-fluoridization campaigns.

From Prince George, British Columbia, to Moncton, New Brunswick, cities across the country have opted to remove fluoride from their water. Dentists and public health experts in the Atlantic province have urged city councillors to reverse course in a statement this week.

The call follows the release of a study earlier this year examining dental health in Calgary, which stopped fluoridating its water in May 2011. The study found grade 2 students’ dental health declined measurably within three years of the cessation.

Ontario Minister of Health Eric Hoskins, himself a medical doctor, said earlier this year. “The benefits of water fluoridation are well documented and have been endorsed by groups ranging from the Canadian Dental Association and Public Health Agency of Canada to the World Health Organization and U.S. Centers for Disease Control.

“In fact, the Centers for Disease Control has called the use of fluoride in drinking water one of the greatest public health achievements of the 20th Century,” he said.

Ontario legislature votes to ban cities from removing fluoride from their water supplies | National Post
Bunch of retards. Fluoride is not extracted from the water, it is added. Simply quit adding the poison. OF course if they believe the waste from making Aluminum is good for you there is not much hope.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Good for Ontario. The science is clear. Let the nutters buy bottled water if they can't wrap their heads around the science.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Rotten teeth are deadly dangerous but most of the centegenarians out there have been drinking fluorodated water for most of their lives, by now.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I see the flat earth,anti science,retarded conservatives are ready to jump. No sense confusing them with facts,it just pisses them off.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I see the flat earth,anti science,retarded conservatives are ready to jump. No sense confusing them with facts,it just pisses them off.

Why? What dies your science say? Yay or Nay?

I used to share an office with a guy who died quite suddenly of a heart valve infection linked to a dental abcess but I know of no one who has succommed to Fluoride poisoning. That ain't science, I'll grant you but it is true observation.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Fluoride or no fluoride it won't change an infection from going septic nor will it help anyone who doesn't bother with oral hygiene.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Hehehe lets be a fool and partake of bait?

If Ontario's ordained it, it's gotta be bad for us ... or a revenue stream for someone else

Or it could just be a great public health policy but lets not let sound policy interfere with irrational fears m'kay?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sound policy my ar's.... I hear nothing. Troll elsewhere m'kay. Your rep for twisting argument to suit your agenda (or tiny talent) is too well known in here.

Now, spin for us, Clunk

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Sound policy my ar's.... I hear nothing. Troll elsewhere m'kay. Your rep for twisting argument to suit your agenda (or tiny talent) is too well known in here.

Now, spin for us, Clunk

Of course it's sound policy. The science is clear. I understand your irrational fears tell you otherwise but science really doesn't care about your fears