City of Toronto to reintroduce black bears into the Don Valley

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
According to the World Wildlife Fund, over the past 40 years the number of wild animals on earth have been cut in half. As global cities and populations expand, habitats for wild animals are being destroyed.

Which is why Hogarth Breslin, a Toronto City Councilor, says it's time to reintroduce black bears into the Don Valley before it's too late.

"Bears used to run freely in this area, it's vital to the ecology that we bring them back" says Breslin.

"There will be some adjustments, but we will do everything in our power to make sure the bears are safe."

When asked if he thought there was enough room for people and bears in the park, Mr Breslin responded by saying: "For the most part black bears want to keep to themselves, I doubt they will be concerned about people rollerblading."

Listen to his interview to learn about what other animals the city would like to bring back to the GTA.

Thiiìiiiiis iiiiìs thaaaaaat!

City of Toronto to reintroduce black bears into the Don Valley [SATIRE] - Home | This is That with Pat Kelly and Peter Oldring | CBC Radio

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Agreed. It would bring bear and hunter closer together and so save the environment by reducing the need drive so far to hunt.That said, with bears so close by, we'll definitely need to loosen gun laws somewhat so Rollerblades can defend themsevles against pesky bears.

However, I think this could bring the community closer together as they barricade themselves together into tighter higher-density defensive communes and so counter suburban sprawl, also good for the environment and a sense of community.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Black Bears Matter!

Damn rights they matter. Do you realise how many homeless people they can feed?

The soup kitchen staff could just walk out back, shoot a bear, drag it into the kitchen, gut it, skin it, sell its fur, and make lots of soup to feed the community.

My only concern is that reintroducing the bears every year could get expensive.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You only want to kill 'em cuz they're black!

The soup kitchen staff could just walk out back, shoot a bear, drag it into the kitchen, gut it, skin it, sell its fur, and make lots of soup to feed the community.

Nonsense. You just say "Bear, this is the city of Toronto. Toronto, meet bear."

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
What a goddam stupid idea. Considering the average city dweller is f*cking clueless when it comes to wildlife, I have a nasty feeling there's going to be some dead black bears over this because of morons who'll do stuff like leave their garbage out in unsecured trash bins.
If the granola munching, nature loving hippies of Revelstoke can't figure it out, I doubt the people in the Don Valley area will clue in.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think it's a great idea. Atlantic Salmon are now swimming up the Don, why not do the Eco thing and reintroduce fish eating Bears?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I think it's a great idea. Atlantic Salmon are now swimming up the Don, why not do the Eco thing and reintroduce fish eating Bears?

I didn't know that Altantic Salmon were back. Our local creek gets introduced Coho that get to be the size of small submarines in Lake Ontario. The Lamprey wiped out what was left of the Atlantic Salmon, here.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I was off. Chinooks.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I was off. Chinooks.

It's a damned shame. Atlantic Salmon are pretty nice but gone from here, forever. They used to come here to spawm from the Atlantic. Our immigrant salmon from BC just hang around the lake. They're great for sport fishing but you'd better not eat them very often, or at all if they are old and big.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Better yet feed the homeless to the bears.