Libs would win Ontario again if they shed Wynne

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Ontario’s governing Liberals could well win another majority — if they send leader Kathleen Wynne packing.

A new poll from Mainstreet Research for Postmedia, released Thursday, asked respondents how they’d vote if the Liberals called an election with somebody other than Wynne leading the party. It found 39% would pick the Liberals, a four-point lead over Patrick Brown’s Progressive Conservatives.

Breaking out Toronto, that lead extends to a staggering 22 points, with a Liberal sweep likely in the 416.

“The bad news for current premier and party leader Kathleen Wynne is that it is all but impossible right now with her at the helm,” said Quito Maggi, president of Mainstreet Research.

Liberals could win majority if they ditch Wynne as leader: Poll | Ontario | News

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
This is the story of an Ontario politician, who grew up in one of those quiet, leafy suburbs north of Toronto, and who came to prominence by being one of the most noteworthy ministers of education in the province’s history. In fact, this politician’s tenure was so noteworthy, the MPP rode that wave of success right into the premier’s office.

This cabinet minister inherited a troubled situation from the previous premier, but made some significant changes in the early days, convincing enough the electorate a tired party was worth a second look.

But before long, the new premier got into trouble. A constant stream of scandals chipped away at the new leader’s brand. No one doubted the premier was a good person whose heart was in the right place. But issue after issue, things just seemed to go south.

The new premier’s poll numbers started sinking like a stone, so much so that when a by-election took place in what had been a safe Toronto riding for three decades, the premier’s party actually lost the seat to the official opposition in a huge upset.

Suddenly, party members were second guessing themselves. “Maybe we did pick the wrong leader at that convention a few years ago,” they started saying to one another.

This is the Kathleen O’Day Wynne story, more than three and a half years into her premiership, right? Well, yes it is. But it’s also exactly the same story of another premier: William Grenville Davis.

We know how the Bill Davis story turned out. Somehow, in the depths of his unpopularity, he managed to find a way to hang on to the reins and win a minority government. But he negotiated those politically tricky waters for six straight years, eventually becoming popular again and returning to majority rule. He’d go on to become the second-longest serving premier in Ontario history.

Can Wynne pull off the same feat? With 18 months to go before facing her second election as premier, is there a way back for her?

And if there is, what might be required to get Ontarians to take a second look at Canada’s least-popular premier?

In December I wrote a column asking why Wynne’s polling numbers were so low. I got a terrific amount of feedback. Some of the responses were predictable: she was suffering the consequences of rising electricity prices, or there was a sense that the Liberals, at 13 years, had been in power for too long. Some complained that Wynne was a reckless spender (even though the government remains confident the budget will be brought back into balance next year, for the first time in nearly a decade), and others still weren’t comfortable with the partial privatization of Hydro One, which Wynne green lit to pay for infrastructure and pay down some of the province’s more than $300-billion debt.

But we got some other kinds of feedback, as well. “In brief, nobody wants to be governed by a schoolmarm that has no clue about how business and the economy actually work and instead never met a homeless person she didn’t want to save,” said one senior manager in the resource sector. The same observer added: “She nevertheless runs a powerful election machine and I wouldn’t underestimate her.”

Despite the similarities between Wynne and Davis, one thing Davis did do differently was give his ministers more of a say on the files under their purview. The great advantage of that approach was that if there was too much public push back on an issue, Davis could always ride in on his white horse at the 11th hour and shuffle the minister out of the portfolio, thereby rebooting the matter, or simply giving them orders to dial things back. He thereby came across as a wise leader whose judgment would protect Ontarians if his government ever got too ambitious.

Wynne has not taken that approach and as a result, far too many Ontarians think she’s far too interventionist.

For example, she has been front and centre on the $160-billion, 12-year infrastructure plan (meaning she also wears the cost overruns, the delays, and the less popular light-rail transit lines in Hamilton and Brampton which may never be built). She has also taken centre stage on her government’s cap-and-trade plan, which went into effect this week and which too many citizens see as a naked, nearly $2 billion tax grab, rather than a contribution to tackling climate change. Same with the partial privatization of Hydro One, which has revealed that many Ontarians like their public institutions left the way they are: namely, in public hands.

Had Wynne not been so singularly associated with these issues, she would have retained the option of scaling them back, rendering them less divisive and potentially less unpopular.

But she made other choices. Times have also changed since Bill Davis, who never had to worry about 24/7 news coverage, social media run amok, and a kind of unhinged hatred of political leaders we see more and more of nowadays that feels unprecedented.

So Wynne’s big decisions now have to focus on what she’s able to do over the next 18 months to become more competitive politically with the Tories, who have had a commanding lead in the polls for months now (although some observers have suggested he not take that huge lead to the bank just yet).

Governments often do the nasty stuff early in their terms, suffer the consequences in popularity, then hope to lower the public's temperature and communicate the benefits of their decisions before the ensuing election; Wynne clearly hopes to follow that playbook.

But what if the Liberal brand is so damaged, she needs to do more? Another reader, not a Liberal but a former MPP and business executive who respects Wynne’s political smarts, suggested the following, much bolder prescription, focusing laser-like on the economy:

• Yes, a cut in the land transfer tax for first time homebuyers gets implemented this week, but this observer’s view was, it’s not a dramatic enough cut — a maximum of $4,000 — to make a difference economically or politically. He suggests cutting the tax by half to spur on even more housing development across the province.
  • Delay implementing the cap and trade scheme until unemployment drops to 5 per cent. The latest from Statistics Canada suggests Ontario’s jobless rate is at 6.3 per cent, so we’re not far off. It’s also possible too many Ontarians think the cap and trade tax increases will render business less competitive and harm job creation prospects.
  • Delay balancing the budget by another couple of years and subsidize electricity prices. True, the 8 per cent provincial portion of the HST came off hydro bills this week, but this emailer thought that wouldn’t be enough to get people’s attention. And given that the government has already cancelled the “Clean Energy Benefit” cutting electricity prices by 10 per cent, the net effect is actually a 2 per cent increase.
  • Get the premier to focus on economic development, job creation, and pocketbook issues, not social justice issues such as legislation protecting rights for transgender people.
On that last point, I have heard even many Liberals express fears that Wynne’s deep-seated concern for social justice issues may very well be genuine, but has the unwanted consequence of alienating many voters who feel scapegoated for social inequities. We just saw south of the border what can happen when, as CNN commentator Van Jones described it, white voters can stage a “whitelash.”

To be clear, I’m not advocating that Wynne follow any of this advice. One thing I learned having just written a nearly 600-page book about Bill Davis is that the media observers at Queen’s Park four decades ago wrote with a complete lack of humility and accountability. Their predictions and prescriptions for Davis were almost uniformly wrong, and yet they continued to do both with no apparent awareness of their shortcomings or interest in the consequences of their mistakes. They thought their proximity to decision-makers and superior knowledge of issues made them smarter than the general public at divining the future.

It didn’t. It made them arrogant and they constantly got egg all over their faces. Wynne has been premier for nearly four years. At this point in Davis’s career, virtually all members of the press gallery were predicting he was a spent force. They urged him to quit and give someone else a chance to repair Tory fortunes. Davis disregarded their advice and somehow managed to serve another 10 years as premier.

I’m not predicting that will happen to Wynne. I don’t make predictions. But if history teaches us anything, it’s that the cocky forecasters who think they know 18 months ahead of time how any story will end ought to take a giant dose of humility.

How Ontario's premier can get her groove back | TVo_Org

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The problem is, as outlined in the following article, is the alternatives are not offering anything regarding Hydro costs. But then again maybe they are laying low not wanting to reveal their solutions until an election is underway....

The latest Forum Research poll shows half of all voters (49 per cent) don’t know enough to have a view of him. Notwithstanding not knowing him, he merits a 28-per-cent approval rating (oh, and his surname is Brown).

The NDP’s Andrea Horwath does better (36-per-cent approval) but worse (the party she leads still trails in most polls). Four in 10 Ontarians still don’t know her, eight years after Horwath became leader.

By contrast, everyone knows the premier. And almost everyone dislikes her, the latest surveys suggest.

Wynne merited a 13-per-cent approval rating, “the lowest value we have ever recorded for a sitting premier,” Forum noted dryly.

That late-November poll showed the Tories would win a majority government with 43 per cent of the vote, leaving the Liberals and NDP tied at 24 per cent each. After 13 years of Liberal rule voters are clearly looking for change, but looking isn’t the same as deciding.

Sometimes voters leap before they look — see Rob Ford and Donald Trump. Other times, fear trumps loathing — remember Tim Hudak’s loss to the hated Liberals?

Most of the time, people hate hydro: Ontario Hydro, OPG, Hydro One — you name it, you change the name, you privatize it, they still demonize it.

Now, more than ever, electricity is a lightning rod for Ontarians. Electricity bills are rising rapidly outside the big cities, for a variety of reasons (no, it’s not due entirely to wind turbines or a couple of cancelled gas plants). It’s not just that rates are high (after being kept unsustainably low for years), it’s the rapidity of the rise that enrages ratepayers — and even urban voters are complaining.

Electricity has become Ontario’s political meme, spreading across the province and drowning out any upbeat Liberal agenda for infrastructure or education or child care. Wynne is also facing heat over new carbon taxes added to fuel and natural gas prices (via cap and trade) on Jan. 1.

Against that backdrop of bad news and hydro blues, how does the premier bounce back from her record-low approval ratings? In the new year, the Liberals are hoping to counter the negative pocketbook stories with their own good news government giveaways.

Recognizing the growing political problem, Wynne has announced major rate rebates. Realistically, she will never win the day on hydro; the goal is merely to cut her political losses (at the cost of billions of dollars to the treasury).

If the Liberals can somehow smother those hydro fires, they hope to talk up their talking points: Tuition freezes and rebates (which add up to “free tuition” for families with modest incomes), expanded child care and transit building will all gather steam in the months ahead, but won’t electrify voters the way electricity rates do.

Wynne’s ambition as premier is to be transformational. Now transactional is what counts, with pocketbook issues pre-eminent.

For all the bad news, the Liberals point hopefully to one provincial poll that got little attention last September, just days after the government announced its hydro rebate. In that Ipsos survey, the Liberals captured 40-per-cent voter support, with the PCs at 35 per cent and the NDP at 20. Asked who would make the best premier, 28 per cent chose Wynne, not quite so far behind Brown (35 per cent) and Horwath (37 per cent) — suggesting she is down in the polls, but not necessarily out.

What does all this mean? When it comes to politics, polling tells us everything and nothing (just ask Justin Trudeau, written off before the last federal campaign). With a provincial election looming in mid-2018, the only certainty is that it can’t get any worse for Wynne — though the odds are it won’t get much better.

No one can predict the political future, but history offers its own lessons. More on that in my next column.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...looms-how-low-can-kathleen-wynne-go-cohn.html

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
One of the most senior figures among the Ontario Liberals, Greg Sorbara, believes the party is in grave danger of losing the 2018 election and is urging Kathleen Wynne to consider stepping down.

Sorbara served as finance minister, Ontario Liberal Party president and campaign chair during his 30-year career in politics.

"There's a whole lot of people in the Ontario Liberal party who think that it's all over," Sorbara said Tuesday night in an interview on TVO's The Agenda with Steve Paikin.

Sorbara said Wynne has not sought his advice but he would tell her that it is "extremely unlikely" that she will win the next election.

"You have to ask yourself premier, whether given that scenario, it's better to step down before the next election," Sorbara said. "The (polling) numbers do not lie and the ability to win the next election is in grave grave doubt."

On the same program, one of the current Liberal campaign co-chairs, Tim Murphy, defended Wynne.

"I talk to lots of Liberals and not one of them wants her to go. Not a single one," said Murphy. "She's our best asset."

Sorbara was Liberal campaign co-chair when Dalton McGuinty resigned as premier in 2012, triggering the party leadership race that Wynne won.

In his memoir, "The Battlefield of Ontario Politics," Sorbara says he used his influence behind the scenes on the day of the leadership convention to help Wynne, including encouraging candidate Eric Hoskins to take his delegates to Wynne after the first ballot. He also told reporters that Wynne's speech was "the best leadership convention speech" he had ever heard.

Sorbara served on Wynne's transition team. but he soon stepped down as the party's campaign chair and fundraising chair and played no role in the Liberals' 2014 election win.

'Extremely unlikely' Liberals can win election under Wynne, says Greg Sorbara - Toronto - CBC News

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
An important thing that has not been considered by anyone watching Ontario politics is the number of votes Patrick Brown will drive toward the Liberals.

He has wishy-washy political support amongst Conservatives. Of the three political leaders, he is the least popular with voters. How many votes will shift because voters simply won't want him as premier?

His public record isn't. He complains about Wynne but provides no solutions. He just says that the Cons will be releasing their plan, proposal or solution shortly. But nothing appears.

Personally, it's too early to speculate about how the Ontario election will play out, but to me at least, Brown better get his act together, or he will single-handedly get the Liberals re-elected.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Getting rid of Wynne won't stop what's happening. It's all been Ontario Liberal party policy since the McNuggets days. Voting Liberal sans Wynne will just mean more of the same anyway.
Sad to say, none of the other parties has been able to portray themselves as a viable alternative leaving Ontarians with a "Better the devil you know" attitude.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I think the point of the story is, if the Liberals wish to remain in power, they have to dump Wynne.

If their poll is true, people are willing to let the Liberals govern again because they believe Wynne is the cause of the trouble in Ontario, not the Liberal party. A fair number of Ontarians believe that high hydro rates and broken promises are Wynne's fault alone. Fire her and we will still support you.

The fact that even one person would think that is sad beyond belief.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
After many months of trailing in the polls – years, even – a new survey by Campaign Research suggests the Grits could have managed to claw their way back into contention using promises of pharmacare and lower hydro bills.

But Premier Kathleen Wynne’s approval rating is up only slightly in the poll (provided exclusively to QP Briefing; it can be viewed below), to just 19 percent, a two percentage point improvement over a Campaign Research survey done in April.''

The latest poll asked if voters think Wynne will still be Liberal leader come the next election, scheduled for June 7, 2018. Of those surveyed, 42 per cent said Wynne will still be leading the Grits, while 26 per cent predicted she would be gone and 34 per cent weren't sure.

“What happens in the future, I can’t tell you for sure," Yufest said. "But I can tell you the Liberals are clearly on the right track with their recent announcements, and the results of the poll clearly show that."

Ontario Liberals could be on comeback trail, new poll suggests – QP Briefing

Musky

Time Out
May 19, 2017
Anyone who votes Liberal in the next Ontario election is either misinformed or dumb.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Kathleen Wynne doesn’t want to be your friend; she just wants to be your premier.

Languishing at historic lows in personal popularity polls, even as her government’s initiatives appear to be gaining traction, Wynne says Ontarians don’t have to love her when they vote on June 7, 2018.

Asked earlier this week by CP24’s Cristina Tenaglia why Liberal policies are popular while polling suggests she, herself, is not, the premier smiled gamely and interjected.

“You know what, you’re going to have to determine what it says about me,” Wynne said at a campaign-style event Tuesday at the Berkeley Street Theatre.

“Here’s what I do in the morning: I get up. I read the newspaper. I listen to you guys. I go for my run and then I come to work and I do my job,” she said.

“And my job is about creating a fair Ontario, creating an Ontario where kids and adults, seniors have the opportunity to live a life that is the very best life that they can live.

“That’s my job.”

That moment of candour at first seemed as though it may have been a slip of the tongue.

But Wynne and her aides have retweeted video of her response to Tenaglia to tens of thousands of people on Twitter and posted it on Facebook

The Liberals have done so because they want voters to be thinking about policies, not personalities, when casting their ballots nine months from now.

“Whether people like me or not, I’m really glad that people think that free tuition for kids who live in low income families is a good idea,” said Wynne.

“I’m really glad that people think that having free medications for kids from zero to 25 is a really good idea,” she said.

“I’m really glad that people think that increasing the minimum wage is a good idea, and that that makes for a fairer Ontario.”

The premier, who trails both Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown and NDP Leader Andrea Horwath in personal approval ratings, indicated she has no illusions about winning a popularity contest.

“The people who love me are my family and I go home to them.

“My job is to make sure that the people of Ontario have the best opportunity possible.”

Internal government polling obtained by The Canadian Press through a Freedom of Information request suggests the Liberals are rebounding thanks in part to support for increasing the $11.40 hourly minimum wage to $14 in January and $15 in 2019.

Last month, 71 per cent of respondents said they supported the policy, which is opposed by many business groups concerned about labour costs

“Increasing the minimum wage, along with protection for temporary and part-time workers, serves to increase confidence in government even more than increases to healthcare spending,” the Gandalf Group pollsters wrote.

Gandalf, which is headed by David Herle, Wynne’s campaign manager, also found Ontarians like the 25 per cent cut in consumer electricity rates, which is being paid for through increased borrowing.

One insider confided Wednesday that Liberals still have an uphill climb to ensure the premier, herself, is seen as the face of popular policies.

“It’s great that people like the minimum wage, the hydro plan, and pharmacare, but we aren’t yet getting much credit for it,” said the senior official, speaking on condition of anonymity in order to discuss internal strategy.

“We still have a long way to go.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...e-wants-you-to-like-her-policies-not-her.html

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Unless the conservatives pull a Hudak and win it for the Liberals again

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The Liberal party has never been good for ON no matter who is premier.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Proposed welfare reform plan includes 22% boost to payments

They are really over confident that they will win or in panic mode to put programs in place if they don't

Ontario is considering an “urgent” 22-per-cent increase to welfare over three years and a new housing benefit to begin as early as 2019 as part of a 10-year roadmap to overhaul the province’s antiquated and rule-bound income security system, the Star has learned.
The proposals are included in a 180-page report by a provincially-appointed panel of community activists and experts being released Thursday by Community and Social Services Minister Helena Jaczek.
Although the panel says it is impossible to provide a 10-year price tag for the reforms, early measures are expected to cost $3.2 billion annually by 2021, according to the report obtained by the Star.
Jaczek, who set up the panel in July 2016, said she wanted the group to tackle the province’s “confusing, complicated and intrusive” welfare rules and to consider a broader approach to income security that includes housing, child benefits, health benefits, training and employment supports.
At the time, Jaczek predicted there would be a commitment to help vulnerable Ontarians in the 2018 budget and said the Liberals are prepared to fight the next election on the issue.
The panel, headed by former Ontario provincial court judge George Thomson calls on the government to create a system that treats individuals with dignity and respect and helps them reach their full potential through a comprehensive system of income and in-kind support.
The plan includes simple and easy-to-access social assistance, seamless and integrated employment and training support, access to prescription drugs, dental, vision and hearing care services for all low-income Ontarians, affordable child care, a portable housing benefit and an “assured income” for people with disabilities.
“Failing to reform the income security system comes with a heavy price tag. Moreover, it is a cost that will lead to ever-worsening outcomes for low-income people and the economy as a whole,” the report argues.
As a first step, the panel says the government should adopt a minimum income standard “a floor below which no one should fall” to be achieved within 10 years based on the provincial poverty line of about $22,000 for a single person. The standard for people with disabilities would be 30 per cent higher.
It also recommends starting work immediately to define a “market basket measure” that includes a basket of goods with prices reflecting the true costs and adjusted for all regions of Ontario, including the north. The measure would be used to evaluate the adequacy of the minimum income, the report says.
“The combination of social assistance and other income supports, in the absence of earnings and private income, should provide enough resources to cover essential living costs such as housing, nutritious food, transportation, disability related costs and other necessities, so people can avoid poverty, protect wellbeing and focus on employment goals and social inclusion,” the report says.
In the short term, the working group suggests a 22-per-cent increase to Ontario Works by 2020 to $893 a month, up from $721.
It recommends a 15-per-cent hike to the Ontario Disability Support Program to $1,334, up from $1,151.
For those who may balk at the cost, the reports says the “urgent, yet modest” increases to social assistance over the next three years amount to only 63 per cent and 70 per cent of the amounts being provided to participants in the basic income pilot for non-disabled individuals and people with disabilities respectively.
But this is only a starting point, the report says. Over subsequent years the “minimum income standard” will be achieved through a combination of social assistance and other income security reforms, it says.
A housing benefit should be available to low-income households starting in 2019 and initially cover 25 per cent of the gap between the actual cost of housing and a person’s ability to pay. Coverage would increase in subsequent years to cover 75 per cent by 2027-28.
The report recommends boosting supports for families with children, particularly grandparents and other relatives raising kids in the care of children’s aid to align with payments received by foster parents.
The panel also wants the government to help all low-income people, including those living in First Nation communities, access benefits paid through the tax system, such as the national child benefit.
With Ottawa signaling improvements to the federal Working Income Tax Benefit, the panel calls on Ontario to ensure changes boost incomes for low-wage workers in this province.
The report recommends adding coverage for dentures for people on social assistance by 2018 and expanding health benefits to all low-income adults over the next 10 years, starting with prescription drug coverage and then following with dental, vision and hearing care coverage.

“No matter our background, our successes or our challenges, we all have a shared interest in supporting everyone’s ability to thrive and contribute to the social fabric of our communities and the economic well-being of our province,” the report says.
“These are not investments into the system as it exists today,” the panel notes. “Rather, these are investments that will create the system of tomorrow — one that reflects the fundamental changes necessary to help people achieve social and economic inclusion,” the report adds.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Unless the conservatives pull a Hudak and win it for the Liberals again
It's not unusual for an opposition party to intentionally throw an election. It's not a routine occurrence but it does happen.
Let's face it, would you want the job of Premier after 15 years of Liberals f*cking up everything they can? At this point, I think it's easier to be the opposition and castigate the Liberals than it is to fix the complete mess they made of everything.