Wynnetario urged to cancel water bottlers permit

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Environmentalists are urging the Ontario government against renewing one of Nestle's water-taking permits in a southwestern Ontario town, saying "water should be for life, not for profit."

Wellington Water Watchers says the permit for Nestle Waters in Aberfoyle, Ont., expired on July 31, but the company has been allowed to keep extracting water from a local well even in the midst of a severe drought.

The group says the Ministry of Environment did not post Nestle's renewal application for the usual 30 days of public comment, and instead granted the company an automatic extension without consulting people who live in the area.

But the ministry says a water-taking permit remains in force if a renewal application is made at least 90 days before it expires, and it plans to post Nestle's application for comment once the supporting documents have been reviewed.

Nestle Waters Canada says it's committed to "a continued engagement with the community" while it waits for the decision on its renewal application in Aberfoyle, where it operates a water-bottling plant.

"The continuation of this permit allows for thorough public consultation on the Ontario Environmental Registry, and provides (the ministry) time to conduct, review and report on the public commentary before a decision on the permit renewal application is made," the company said in a statement.

Documents on a ministry website show Nestle Canada has three permits to take up to 8.3 million litres of water every day for bottling, while Nestle Waters Canada — a division of Nestle Canada — has a half dozen Ontario permits allowing it to take an additional 12 million litres a day.

Other bottled water companies with large water-taking permits in Ontario include Gold Mountain Springs at 6.1 million litres a day, Gott Enterprises at 5.8 million litres and St. Joseph Natural Spring Water at 5.5 million litres.

Ontario charges companies just $3.71 for every million litres of water, after they pay a permit fee of $750 for low- or medium-risk water takings, or $3,000 for those considered a high risk to cause an adverse environmental impact.

Former environmental commissioner Ellen Schwartzel took the Liberals to task in her annual report for not acting on recommendations to raise the amount it charges to take large amounts of water, which she called " a drop in the bucket."

Schwartzel pointed out even the ministry conceded that the $3.71 per-million-litre charge recovers only about 1.2 per cent of the government's total water-quantity management costs

The ministry lists about 6,000 water-taking permits on its website, which can be difficult to navigate, with multiple permits issued to many companies, often for similar time periods but with different expiry dates. An interactive online map that shows all of the permit locations is a sea of overlapping blue dots in the southern half of Ontario.

The permits allow municipalities, mining companies and golf courses — in addition to the water-bottlers — to take a total of 1.4 trillion litres out of Ontario's surface and ground water supplies every day.

The commercial water-taking permits can be valid for up to 10 years, even longer in some cases, and can allow the removal of several million litres a day. The Ministry of Environment has issued multiple water-taking permits for some rivers.

Activists urge Ontario to refuse Nestle water-taking permit | Metro News

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Wellington Water Watchers says the permit for Nestle Waters in Aberfoyle, Ont., expired on July 31, but the company has been allowed to keep extracting water from a local well even in the midst of a severe drought.

Businesses are expected to be legit and to pay their operating expenses, then selling their products: that is how the world goes round

Nestle's is famous for ripping of municipalities where they draw water
and As if, with a company like that, it's accidental...every time
no, a grade nine could do the paper work on time
its only corporate rape:
just lie back and enjoy it

but just you try this at home:
not paying for what ever permits you are supposed to have for what ever
and see how far it gets you

oh, and also don't worry about the drought
the farmers could always do like in nestlefournia, and irrigate with fracking water, instead of their own ground water, which nestle appears to be stealing

Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I must say that $3.71 for a million liters sounds like a steal.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
yeah and they charge $3.75 for what, 6 liters?
want to bet they pay effe all for taxes either?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I don't buy thier crap ever Walter
I gets my water from high priced Ontario grown vegetables
I get my milk chocolate from milk and chocolate and I mix it nice and slow

You do know every dime they don't pay in fees and taxes
gets ripped right out of yours mine and all our own TAxholes every April right?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I don't buy thier crap ever Walter
I gets my water from high priced Ontario grown vegetables
I get my milk chocolate from milk and chocolate and I mix it nice and slow

You do know every dime they don't pay in fees and taxes
gets ripped right out of yours mine and all our own TAxholes every April right?
And if every one did as you do then Nestle would shut down and you can pay E.I. to all the employees .

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I always found it funny that a lot of people who complained about paying $1/L for gas, didn't think twice about paying $1.50 for half a liter of something that you basically get for free from your tap.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
And if every one did as you do then Nestle would shut down and you can pay E.I. to all the employees .
oh I dunno
If you do the math...
small potatoes compared to nestle's ill gotten gains
and the raised costs to the farmers...and the employees layed off there and their EI
if you do the math

i notice you din't
i take it your better half does the grocery shopping eh?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
oh I dunno
If you do the math...
small potatoes compared to nestle's ill gotten gains
and the raised costs to the farmers...and the employees layed off there and their EI
if you do the math

i notice you din't
i take it your better half does the grocery shopping eh?
She does the shopping but doesn't buy Nestles .

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Environmentalists are urging the Ontario government against renewing one of Nestle's water-taking permits in a southwestern Ontario town, saying "water should be for life, not for profit."

The group says the Ministry of Environment did not post Nestle's renewal application for the usual 30 days of public comment, and instead granted the company an automatic extension without consulting people who live in the area.

But the ministry says a water-taking permit remains in force if a renewal application is made at least 90 days before it expires, and it plans to post Nestle's application for comment once the supporting documents have been reviewed.

Nestle Waters Canada says it's committed to "a continued engagement with the community" while it waits for the decision on its renewal application in Aberfoyle, where it operates a water-bottling plant.

"The continuation of this permit allows for thorough public consultation on the Ontario Environmental Registry, and provides (the ministry) time to conduct, review and report on the public commentary before a decision on the permit renewal application is made," the company said in a statement.

Documents on a ministry website show Nestle Canada has three permits to take up to 8.3 million litres of water every day for bottling, while Nestle Waters Canada — a division of Nestle Canada — has a half dozen Ontario permits allowing it to take an additional 12 million litres a day.

Other bottled water companies with large water-taking permits in Ontario include Gold Mountain Springs at 6.1 million litres a day, Gott Enterprises at 5.8 million litres and St. Joseph Natural Spring Water at 5.5 million litres.

Ontario charges companies just $3.71 for every million litres of water, after they pay a permit fee of $750 for low- or medium-risk water takings, or $3,000 for those considered a high risk to cause an adverse environmental impact.

Former environmental commissioner Ellen Schwartzel took the Liberals to task in her annual report for not acting on recommendations to raise the amount it charges to take large amounts of water, which she called " a drop in the bucket."

Schwartzel pointed out even the ministry conceded that the $3.71 per-million-litre charge recovers only about 1.2 per cent of the government's total water-quantity management costs

The ministry lists about 6,000 water-taking permits on its website, which can be difficult to navigate, with multiple permits issued to many companies, often for similar time periods but with different expiry dates. An interactive online map that shows all of the permit locations is a sea of overlapping blue dots in the southern half of Ontario.

The permits allow municipalities, mining companies and golf courses — in addition to the water-bottlers — to take a total of 1.4 trillion litres out of Ontario's surface and ground water supplies every day.

The commercial water-taking permits can be valid for up to 10 years, even longer in some cases, and can allow the removal of several million litres a day. The Ministry of Environment has issued multiple water-taking permits for some rivers.

Activists urge Ontario to refuse Nestle water-taking permit | Metro News

Proof that greenies really are stupid. If the government charged more for the water it would just be added to the end price which means the consumers pay the excess taxes. Since virtually everyone uses bottled water at some point, especially in cities because their chemical water isn't fit to drink, where would all the yuppies get their water if not for Nestle?
So is the problem with the tax on water which in one sentence the greenies say must not exist yet they want Nestle to pay more, or is it just with the company.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Wish I could buy stock in Nestle but my brokerage doesn't have access for some reason or other.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
She does the shopping but doesn't buy Nestles .
she got any sisters?

Wish I could buy stock in Nestle but my brokerage doesn't have access for some reason or other.

lol
Walter's would stock

well, bizness IS bizness
soemtimes brokers only sell the losers
hence that old stock broker at the yacht club joke:
what customer yachts?

possibly there are funds or hedges that contain things like nestle stocks

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Proof that greenies really are stupid. If the government charged more for the water it would just be added to the end price which means the consumers pay the excess taxes. Since virtually everyone uses bottled water at some point, especially in cities because their chemical water isn't fit to drink, where would all the yuppies get their water if not for Nestle?
So is the problem with the tax on water which in one sentence the greenies say must not exist yet they want Nestle to pay more, or is it just with the company.

I'm all for charging Nestle or any other company doing the same with water and passing the cost onto the end user.

Let's start with 10 cents per liter to the water bottlers. And since we have the numbers for Nestle, we will use them.

Nestle takes 20 million liters per day giving Wynnetario $74.00 per day.

10 cents x 20,000,000.00 = $2 million a day = $10 million a week x 50 weeks (assuming they shut down for xmas and other stat days) = $500,000,000.00 a year for Wynnetario..

Would those who pay $1,50 for half a liter in the store not pay $1.60? I think they would.

Of course the solution is an in home system as I have because of the well.

And if you are looking for a quality system.....

While reverse osmosis as a technology may be known to have the ability to remove certain contaminants under laboratory settings; a commercial system, especially a residential system, may not have similar capacity. When looking at a residential RO system, read the fine print, product specifications and contaminant reduction claims carefully.

When in doubt, look for a system that meets NSF/ANSI Standard 58.

Is Reverse Osmosis The Best Water Filter For Your Home? - Elua - Elua

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Unfortunately, the story (link is external) keeps getting worse.

Corporate giant Nestlé continued its privatization creep on Thursday as it won approval to take over another Canadian community's water supply, claiming it needed the well to ensure "future business growth."

Nestlé purchased the well near Elora, Ontario from Middlebrook Water Company last month after making a conditional offer in 2015, the Canadian Press reports.

In August, the Township of Centre Wellington made an offer to purchase the Middlebrook well site to protect access to the water for the community. Consequently, the multinational—which claimed it had no idea the community was its competitor—waived all its conditions and matched the township's offer in order to snag the well for itself.

Happily, this is not going unnoticed by the Council of Canadians, which has proposed a boycott (link is external) of the company, one that I encourage everyone to sign. Part of the boycott reads,

"Groundwater resources will not be sufficient for our future needs due to drought, climate change, and over-extraction. Wasting our limited groundwater on frivolous and consumptive uses such as bottled water is madness. We must not allow groundwater reserves to be depleted for corporate profit."

For her part the extraordinarily unpopular Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne, who has often acted as if she is surprised by Nestle's pillaging, is now sounding a cautious note.

“As we look at the water bottling industry, that has to be a question because we’re talking about what we could argue is our most precious resource,” she said.

“There is much pressure on our water, so as we have this discussion about our water, the status of and the treatment of water bottling companies, that needs to be taken into consideration.”Hardly a stinging rebuke.

For its part, Nestle has this to say:

Nestle, which has 2,500 employees in Ontario, has said it is prepared to pay more if rates were increased, but only if all companies with water-taking permits face the higher fees.

The fact that this multinational company feels free to stipulate conditions on government decisions tells you all you need to know about who is really running the show, doesn't it?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm all for charging Nestle or any other company doing the same with water and passing the cost onto the end user.

Let's start with 10 cents per liter to the water bottlers. And since we have the numbers for Nestle, we will use them.

Nestle takes 20 million liters per day giving Wynnetario $74.00 per day.

10 cents x 20,000,000.00 = $2 million a day = $10 million a week x 50 weeks (assuming they shut down for xmas and other stat days) = $500,000,000.00 a year for Wynnetario..

Would those who pay $1,50 for half a liter in the store not pay $1.60? I think they would.

Of course the solution is an in home system as I have because of the well.

And if you are looking for a quality system.....

While reverse osmosis as a technology may be known to have the ability to remove certain contaminants under laboratory settings; a commercial system, especially a residential system, may not have similar capacity. When looking at a residential RO system, read the fine print, product specifications and contaminant reduction claims carefully.

When in doubt, look for a system that meets NSF/ANSI Standard 58.

Is Reverse Osmosis The Best Water Filter For Your Home? - Elua - Elua

Interesting link. For us RO would work because we are on a deep well in a relatively remote ares.but have a high mineral content. NOT the system for polluted water. But there others besides chlorine that work.

There is a bottling plant a few miles down the road from us. All for export. Except what the local fire depts. get sometimes for free or at a low price. Labels are in Chinese or Japanese. They just expanded and there has been no public outcry.