500 minks set loose in alleged vandalism in southern Ontario

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
500 minks set loose in alleged vandalism in southern Ontario
Nicole Thompson, THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 07:33 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, April 30, 2016 09:34 PM EDT
BRANT COUNTY, Ont. -- Police are investigating what they're calling an act of vandalism -- and what a farm spokesperson is calling an act of animal rights extremism -- after some 500 minks were set loose in southwestern Ontario overnight Friday.
Early Saturday morning, Ontario Provincial Police were called to the Brant County, Ont., farm. It had been broken into -- holes were cut into the walls, and the mink inside were set loose, investigators said.
"It seems like an organized attack by animal rights extremists who have attacked many farms in southern Ontario in the last several years," said Nancy Daigneault, vice president of the International Fur Federation. "They break into a farm at night and they open all the cages to release the minks."
Daigneault said that last year, a self-identified animal rights group made threats against the farm. She said the threats were reported to police.
But police wouldn't say whether there's anything that suggests activists were involved in this case.
The farm owner declined an interview, but said that Daigneault was his spokesperson.
The affected farm is one of about 300 fur farms in Canada, according to Statistics Canada, and mink is the most popular farmed fur.
Daigneault said most of the animals were recovered, but many of them had recently given birth. The newborns, called kits, were separated from their mothers, she said.
Provincial police Const. Ken Johnston said there's no guarantee the babies would be able to find their way back to their mothers to nurse, and Daigneault added that even if they could, there's no guarantee the babies could survive the trauma of separation.
"The farmer's saying he thinks they may lose three-quarters of the babies," Johnston said. "I think that whoever did this, that should weigh heavy on their conscience."
Police are continuing their investigation, and they're asking anyone with information to come forward.
500 minks set loose in alleged vandalism in southern Ontario | Ontario | News |

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Hope there are no free range chickens near by
If they are like weasles you will need something more secure than your average hen-house.
I wonder how mink like rat meat? We are a rat free Province but I'll bet most people would like to see a fat ferret wandering the halls that a scurrying rat. There is no place a rat could hide from these 'hunters' and because they are 'people friendly' they could be trapped once an area is clear and moved to another area that has rats.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
...certainly won't be any free-range eggs
I have some contact with mink farmers , and understand in conversation with them that farmed mink cannot last long in the wild ,and released or escaped mink generally starve in short order .

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I guess the hooligans better be delivering food bundles close to where they released them. Hunger should make them return to 'the scene of the crime' at least once.
With the zoos and aquariums closing due to a lot of issues there seems to be a place that could offer sanctuary to a large group of mink that need to be fed daily. If they are social they will become an attraction that is more entertaining than monkeys and on-line profiles could be created for 'fans' as a way of funding the operation. The natural death rate would still supply enough furs to the fashion industry. Mink lined gloves seem like would be a decent gift for those who live where the reindeer do roam.
Down south they may make great selling insoles for almost any shoe/boot at the price of people giving up wearing socks.

If you were a farmer with an overcrowding issue and no buyers would you tank your own business just to collect the insurance?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Next year's model might be more expensive. I wonder why dairy cowhide hats never caught on?

Is this going to affect the price of that sweet black mink Cossack hat I've had me eye on? :)
Considering the hair is the softest part you would want that against your skin would you not, after all cashmere and silk are meant to be worn as the inside layer rather than as an outer layer

Better not let the ladies know or they will be wearing them as stockings.

Does mink come as a yarn? A toque of knitted mink (or rabbit) that is soft on the inside and on the outside and waterproof at the same time. Add in some socks and you have a gift set. Turn the socks inside out and gave a shake and you have a dry side for your footies. After a proper wash and tumble dry they are back to that 'new sock' feel, unlike any sock on the market today.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
If they are like weasles you will need something more secure than your average hen-house.
I wonder how mink like rat meat? We are a rat free Province but I'll bet most people would like to see a fat ferret wandering the halls that a scurrying rat. There is no place a rat could hide from these 'hunters' and because they are 'people friendly' they could be trapped once an area is clear and moved to another area that has rats.
If you are a rat free province why are you still there megapsycho?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
These environmental terrorists are retarded and are motivated by emotions over logic.

These animals will not survive on their own. And if you think starving to death or getting half run over by a car is a more humane death than what the laws requires of the farmers...... stoopid