Ontario's Basic Income Experiment Coming This Fall

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Ontario's Basic Income Experiment Coming This Fall

TORONTO — A single paragraph buried in the Ontario budget could mean big changes in the lives of some of the province's most impoverished residents by giving them a guaranteed minimum income.

Last month's provincial budget promised a pilot project to test "that a basic income could build on the success of minimum wage policies and increases in child benefits by providing more consistent and predictable support."

The concept is on the radar of the federal Liberals, too — a Liberal-dominated parliamentary committee called on the Trudeau government to explore the concept of guaranteeing people a minimum income in a pre-budget report tabled Friday.

Charles Sousa, Ontario's finance minister, said the province has not decided which community will be the test site for a basic income guarantee.

"It's something that many people seem to have an interest in us testing out, so we're looking at something in the fall," he said. "Other jurisdictions are using it, and I want to see if it makes sense for us, so it's important for us to pilot, to test it out, and see what happens."

Proponents say a guaranteed minimum income, which would see families living below the poverty line topped up to a set level, would be more efficient and less costly than administering the existing series of social programs that help low-income residents.

They also say poverty is one of the biggest determinants of health, and a guaranteed minimum income could mean reduced health-care costs.

"Poverty costs us all. It expands health-care costs, policing burdens and depresses the economy," Sen. Art Eggleton said last month as he called for a national pilot project of a basic income guarantee.

About nine per cent of Canadians live in poverty, but the numbers are much higher for single mothers and indigenous communities.

If Ontario's basic income pilot project is designed correctly, it could help eliminate some of the "perverse incentives" that institutionalize poverty, said Danielle Martin, vice president of Women's College Hospital in Toronto.

"We want to design programs that will give people who need it income security, but will not discourage them from entering the workforce," said Martin.

"And it's entirely possible, if we design this pilot right, that we can actually have a major impact on the health outcomes for some of the most vulnerable people in the province, and that can save tremendous amounts of money in the health-care system down the road."

Canada experimented with a guaranteed minimum income in Dauphin, Manitoba in the early 1970s. The so-called Mincome project found it did not discourage people from working, except for two key groups: new mothers, and teenaged boys who opted to stay in school until graduation.

The Mincome project also found an 8.5 per cent reduction in hospital visits in Dauphin during the experiment, said Martin.

"People had fewer visits because of mental health problems," she said. "There were fewer low birth-weight babies, so very concrete and immediate impacts in terms of people's health."

The Income Security Advocacy Centre said care must be taken to ensure no one is worse off as a result of the Ontario pilot for a basic income guarantee.

People on social assistance in Ontario also get their prescription drugs and dental bills paid for, as well as help with child care, and they should not lose those benefits with a basic income guarantee, added Martin.

"It's called the welfare wall, a phenomenon where people, even if they could find part-time work or lower paying work — they're actually better off in some ways by staying on social assistance because of those other benefits," she said.

"For some people, that makes it basically impossible to get off of welfare."

People should not be concerned that a guaranteed minimum income would mean those on social assistance are suddenly living on easy street, said Eggleton.

"This wouldn't be the good life," he told the Senate. "It would provide a floor, a foundation that low-income people can then build upon for a better life."

Social programs should lift people out of poverty, not keep them there, and a basic income is a new approach that could work, added Eggleton.

"How we have dealt with poverty has failed," he said. "We need to test a different approach."

Source: Ontario's Basic Income Experiment Coming This Fall

LOL who needs to work anymore.. just move to Ontario.. take not Liberals in Alberta, time to move back home...

Give us our Province back..

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
Cool, it's like welfare, except you don't actually have to be looking for work to get the benefits. More people will be collecting government benefits, and fewer people will be looking for work, and this has the added bonus of lowering the "unemployment" figures because people who aren't looking for work don't count.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
So a Province that is already getting handouts from other Provinces because they can't meet the existing bill just gave it's whole population a 'raise' in pay? What's not to love about that deal??

I guess we know what the carbon tax will end up funding now.
We need to start sending Ontario some O2 as it would appear they are running dangerously low.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I don't have a problem with this. But, as I mentioned in the other (duplicative, unnecessary, attention whoring) thread, I'd like to see what the methodology for this experiment is.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
They're going to change from Left hand drive to right hand drive too. Cars will switch in April and if it works, in September trucks and buses will switch too. Stupid Ontario....

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I find it hard to believe that a province that doesn't even pay disabled couples a total of $1700/mo is suddenly going to pay every individual a mincome of $1700/mo.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I gotta find out where the sign up place is. I don't need the money. I am healthy. Everything is good. I'm a shoe in for the cash!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Bottom line, how much? In AB, AISH is considered to be living high on the hog. It is about $5k below the poverty line. I'm thinking that viewpoint wasn't put in by somebody on AISH.

The direct deposit should have public transportation on it as well as a discount at the till of any major grocery store for items that are close to the expiry date.

I'm more qualified to work in an AISH office than the few workers I've been assigned to. They are there to hinder the client rather than push the limits for the client, legal limit of course.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Cool, it's like welfare, except you don't actually have to be looking for work to get the benefits. More people will be collecting government benefits, and fewer people will be looking for work, and this has the added bonus of lowering the "unemployment" figures because people who aren't looking for work don't count.

I think the point of it is that the people who want to, will start working part time, which they aren't allowed to do on welfare.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
On welfare in Ont you are allowed to keep half of your earnings after the first two months of dollar per dollar deductions, and medical, and a small amount of dental are covered.
However when homeless you don't get the housing allowance (about half the check) which makes it difficult to get people off the street once they wind up there.
(PS: weed is NOT covered under the medical allowance)