Sad tale moves volunteer to transport beaver

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Sad tale moves volunteer to transport beaver
By Sam Cooley, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 04:00 PM EST | Updated: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 08:21 PM EST
An Ottawa woman is heading to Northern Ontario with a sick, dehydrated and underweight beaver strapped in the back seat so it can keep a doctor’s appointment 400 km away.
It all started with a social media campaign.
“I saw it on Facebook this afternoon,” Mary Herbert told the Sun. “I saw it and I just thought that I can do it. It’s a drive I know.”
The sick beaver was scooped out of a backyard by volunteers at the Rideau Valley Wildlife Centre in North Gower on Friday.
When rescuers found the beaver, it was dehydrated and nowhere near water, which it requires to survive.
After feeding it and giving it warm fluids, the beaver’s condition improved but it was clear the sanctuary would have to transfer the animal to another sanctuary, said Heather Badenoch, a volunteer board member.
But the Aspen Valley Wildlife Centre is nearly 400 km away, in Rosseau, Ont.
So local volunteers took to the Internet around 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday.
In less than an hour, Herbert became the sanctuary’s impromptu beaver taxi driver.
“It’s just a volunteer organization that needs assistance with animals; this is just something that I knew I’m available to do it,” she said.
The beaver weighs about 25 lbs., according to Badenoch.
Herbert told the Sun she might give the beaver a nickname while she’s driving, once she thinks of one.
“She’s lovely. She has no other reason for going. She used to have some beavers near her house,” said Badenoch, who added she initially thought it was somebody making the drive for Christmas vacation.
The Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary took in about 980 mammals and turtles throughout the summer, including a river otter nicknamed Oscar who, at one point in time, also needed a cab ride, Badenoch said.
Even turtles that have been run over by cars can be patched up by the sanctuary if they aren’t too squished.
“Once they’re strong and healthy, they’re released back into the wild,” Badenoch said.
Twitter @samcooley
This sick, dehydrated beaver at the Rideau Wildlife Centre needs a ride to Rosseau for care and treatment. (Submitted image via Twitter)

Sad tale moves volunteer to transport beaver | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun