Toronto woman assaulted after her scarf is mistaken for hijab

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
by News Staff and Avery Haines
Posted Nov 20, 2015 6:57 pm EST
Last Updated Nov 21, 2015 at 1:33 pm EST
A Toronto woman’s efforts to stay warm ended up giving her a chilling glimpse into Islamophobia after she was assaulted by a man who mistook her scarf for a hijab.
Kayla Gerber, a 24-year-old actress, had just left a rehearsal near Bloor and Bathurst streets on Monday when a man approached her as she walked.
“He told me to take off my f****n hijab and get the f**k out of his country and he just kept repeating that over and over and over again, screaming at me while he had me pinned up against the wall,” she explained.
Gerber, who isn’t Muslim, said she had wrapped her scarf around her head to keep her ears warm.
“I remember saying to him that I’m not even wearing a hijab bro and he just kept shaking me and screaming at me to get out of his country and I’m like, ‘I’m not Muslim.’ ”
“I would never think that someone could be so hateful because he didn’t know me, I didn’t know him, he doesn’t know my life.”
Gerber posted about the incident on Facebook and was flooded with messages of support from around the world.
“It’s so beautiful to see positivity come out of negativity,” she added.
It’s the latest in a disturbing string of incidents in the Greater Toronto Area following the deadly terror attacks in Paris.
On Friday police revealed that a minor is being sought for allegedly shoving and accosting two women wearing hijabs at Sherbourne subway station.
On Monday, a Muslim woman was attacked by two men while picking up her child from Grenoble Public School in Flemingdon Park.
Another Muslim woman has come forward saying she received an ominous threat on the CityNews Facebook page.
Toronto woman assaulted after her scarf is mistaken for hijab - CityNews
Video: Toronto woman attacked by man who thought scarf was a hijab
CityNews reporter Avery Haines spoke to the woman about the frightening ordeal.
Nov 20, 2015, 6:54 PM
CityNews CFTR - Main Video Gallery player - GRCN Redesign 2015

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Sure. Very believable. Happens all the time. No one would make up a story like this.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Awesome, Walter, that you're starting to believe stuff like this happens! It's a good step towards actually being compassionate.

/s
Serryah, serious question. What happened with that young Muslim women in the grocery store, who complained that no one got in the checkout line after her of something like that.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I never use colours.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
A Toronto woman’s efforts to stay warm ended up giving her a chilling glimpse into Islamophobia after she was assaulted by a man who mistook her scarf for a hijab.
Kayla Gerber, a 24-year-old actress, had just left a rehearsal near Bloor and Bathurst streets on Monday when a man approached her as she walked.
“He told me to take off my f****n hijab and get the f**k out of his country and he just kept repeating that over and over and over again, screaming at me while he had me pinned up against the wall,” she explained.
Gerber, who isn’t Muslim, said she had wrapped her scarf around her head to keep her ears warm.
“I remember saying to him that I’m not even wearing a hijab bro and he just kept shaking me and screaming at me to get out of his country and I’m like, ‘I’m not Muslim.’ ”
“I would never think that someone could be so hateful because he didn’t know me, I didn’t know him, he doesn’t know my life.”
Gerber posted about the incident on Facebook and was flooded with messages of support from around the world.
It’s the latest in a disturbing string of incidents in the Greater Toronto Area following the deadly terror attacks in Paris.
On Friday police revealed that a minor is being sought for allegedly shoving and accosting two women wearing hijabs at Sherbourne subway station.
On Monday, a Muslim woman was attacked by two men while picking up her child from Grenoble Public School in Flemingdon Park.
Another Muslim woman has come forward saying she received an ominous threat on the CityNews Facebook page.
Any witnesses ?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Consider how Quebec was going to ban the hijab altogether regardless of whether it was worn as a religious obligation or not. Non-Muslim hijabis do exist by the way and they choose to wear it for various reasons, nost for fashion. One I'd read about was a rape victim and believed wearing the hijab helped to turn away unwanted attention.

I imagine some bald women or women who just don't like their hair might wear hijab too.