Glengarry Musing, St. Raphael

Rosebud

Nominee Member
Feb 6, 2012
The St. Raphael Ruin campaign doesn't appear to be winding down soon.

I'm reminded of the Laval toll overpass scandal. It was contracted on the understanding that the travellers would toss a quarter in the bag at the toll booth on crossing, and in a few years the bridge would be paid for. As such things go, people get on with their lives, and the coin toss just became another habit of Montreal travel and life. Then someone asked the obvious question, "Hey, when is that bridge ever going to be paid for?." So an investigation was made, and it was discovered it was paid decades ago. So the booths came down in a hurry before anyone else dared asked the next question, "Where did all the over contributions go.?".

I recall someone canvasing for the St. Raph ruins way back in the 70's. I recall reading about each successive successful year and about the thousands of dollars raised. It spoke of that grand day when, sleeves rolled up, we would get to work rebuilding. We all envisioned that Majestic House of God, fully restored to it's original state. "Certainly deserves a few dollars from me" I recalled.

So now we're in the next century, and that tower bell displayed on platform in front of the ruins seems to be sinking under the burden of the weight of hopelessness. For certain, St. Raphael must be patient, and of course evidently attributed with a "great" sense of humour. Time to get a non conflicted accountant in to do an audit, retroactively of course.

It will be interesting to see if the cost of rebuilding has long been recovered.