Cab driver's fare refusal may have cost Muzik victim her life: Friend

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Cab driver's fare refusal may have cost Muzik victim her life: Friend
By Chris Doucette, Toronto Sun First posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 08:41 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, August 08, 2015 12:52 AM EDT
TORONTO - The city’s taxi industry is under fire in the wake of allegations cabbies out front of Muzik refused to drive a group of friends home early Tuesday because it was only an $8 fare.
Moments later, gunfire erupted in the nightclub, spilled out onto Dufferin St. and killed, Ariela Navarro-Fenoy, 26.
“I am deeply concerned,” City Councillor Jim Karygiannis said Friday, after news reports surfaced with the claim made by the innocent victim’s friend. “In my view, taxi drivers have a responsibility to pick up customers and take them to their destinations, regardless of the cost the taxi fare.”
Franca Abate told reporters she, Navarro-Fenoy and another friend knew trouble was brewing as they left the club in Exhibition Place after enjoying Drake’s OVO Fest after-party.
The friends decided to hop in a taxi, she said. But several cabbies parked on Dufferin St. allegedly refused to take them the short drive home to Bathurst St. and Lake Shore Blvd. W.
The trio decided to head up Dufferin to a nearby parking lot in the hopes of catching a ride in a friend’s car.
By then, bullets were flying inside Muzik and Duvel Hibbert, 23, was dead on the patio.
When the second burst of gunfire erupted, Abate said she looked back and saw her roommate on the ground.
She’s convinced Navarro-Fenoy would still be alive if one of the cabbies had just driven them home.
According to city bylaws, cabbies are “not permitted to refuse a fare based on limited distance.”
However, it seems drivers often pass on small fares and wait for a bigger fish to come along.
Since January 2014, the city has received 286 complaints about cabbies refusing low-fare rides.
“We have received a number of complaints about short fare refusals and we investigate all of them, but the problem that we’re having is that some of the information we’re provided isn’t enough for us to get any substantive charges,” a city staffer said, explaining it’s important to get the cab number, date, time and location.
So far no such complaints have been filed regarding the Muzik shooting, which also left three wounded.
But if a complaint were filed, the cabbie could face a $200 fine.
The iTaxiworkers Association, which represents cab drivers, tweeted about the issue suggesting “stricter penalties and enforcement” are needed.
Personal injury lawyer Sandra Zisckind said the cabbies who allegedly refused to drive Navarro-Fenoy could face much more than a fine.
“If it’s true she wouldn’t have died had she been able to get into a taxi, then the drivers are responsible for her death,” she said, adding the drivers, vehicle owners and taxi companies could all face a civil suit.
And while identifying the cabbies is an obstacle, Zisckind pointed out there’s a good chance they were captured by Muzik’s cameras or the 4,000 or so smartphones at the event.
— With files by Nick Westoll
Ariela Navarro-Fenoy, 26, was shot outside the Dufferin Gates Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2015 during the gunfire that began at Muzik nightclub during OVO Fest after-party.

Cab driver's fare refusal may have cost Muzik victim her life: Friend | Toronto

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
No, attending a Rap/Hip Hop show caused her to die..........

No; attending a Rap/Hip Hop show caused her to die........

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
OVO Fest after-party victim 'beautiful young lady'
Jeremy Appel, Toronto Sun
First posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 06:54 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, August 09, 2015 07:00 PM EDT
TORONTO - A young woman who helped bring out the beauty in others was remembered Sunday for her own beautiful nature.

Ariela Navarro-Fenoy’s family and friends gathered at DeMarco Funeral Home, on Keele St. near Finch Ave., to remember the 26-year-old gunned down outside Muzik nightclub last week.

“I just want her parents to know that they raised a beautiful young lady and I’m so sorry. I wish there were more young people in the world like her,” Kelly Mikolovich said.

Mikolovich’s autistic daughter, Patricia, befriended Navarro-Fenoy at the Sephora cosmetic store where she worked. Patricia often came in to get her makeup done.

The helpful clerk was not at all bothered by Patricia’s disability, her mom said.

“She was my best friend. I really liked her a lot and I’ll miss her,” said Patricia.

Another mourner, who works security at Five Points Bar and Grill, near Vaughan Rd. and Oakwood Ave., where Navarro-Fenoy also worked, said there wasn’t a “negative bone in her body.”

“If you were a customer that had never been there before, you would always leave laughing and smiling,” said Dave, 39, who declined to give his last name.

Navarro-Fenoy was one of two people fatally shot at an after-party for Drake’s OVO Fest in Toronto early Tuesday morning.

Duvel Hibbert, 23, was gunned down on the nightclub’s patio while Navarro-Fenoy was caught in the ensuring gunfire near the Dufferin Gates of Exhibition Place.

She was allegedly turned down by a cabbie shortly before bullets started flying because the fare was only $8. Three other people were wounded in the melee. No arrests have been made.

Andrew Souza, a friend from elementary and high school, would not speculate on the circumstances surrounding Navarro-Fenoy’s death.

“She was very outgoing. She didn’t care who you were. She’d talk to you,” he said.

Her funeral will be held Monday at 10 a.m. at St. Judes Roman Catholic Church, 3265 Weston Rd.
OVO Fest after-party victim 'beautiful young lady' | Toronto & GTA | News | Toro

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'I want answers now': OVO Fest after-party victim's dad
By Jenny Yuen, Toronto Sun First posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 10:12 AM EDT | Updated: Monday, August 10, 2015 06:00 PM EDT
TORONTO - There was no hiding their heartache.

The family of the young woman slain last week following the OVO Fest after-party at Muzik nightclub were overcome with grief as they laid Ariela Navarro-Fenoy to rest Monday.

Her emotional father also demanded answers in the shooting death of his 26-year-old daughter.

“I have so many questions,” said Victor Navarro, who appeared distraught as he spoke to media following the funeral service at St. Jude’s Roman Catholic Church on Weston Rd. “I want answers now. Thank you to everybody for the respect and I need answers now.”

Overcome by grief, the man had to be physically supported by family members.

About 350 people attended the service. Many friends and family donned white T-shirts that featured the bright and beaming face of the Sephora sales clerk. The shirts read: “In loving member of Yang,” a homage to a nickname Ariela had from friends who felt she was the balance of “yin.”

Marcia Barroilact, a long-time friend of the family, carried one of the shirts. She said her children grew up with Ariela.

“We’re wearing it for peace,” Barroilact said. “We need to stop killing innocent people. They’re destroying us. We’re like family. That is why we’re so hurt.”

Ariela was leaving Drake’s OVO Fest after-party with a friend on Aug. 4 around 3:20 a.m. and was allegedly denied a ride by cab drivers because it was only going to be an $8 fare.

She was fatally shot near the Dufferin Gates of Exhibition Place.

Another person at the after-party, 23-year-old Duvel Hibbert, had been shot and killed moments earlier on the Muzik patio. Three others were wounded in the gunfire.

Police are looking for two suspects, and no arrests have been made.

Ariela’s emotional sister also addressed the media and required support as she spoke.

“My sister Ariela was a beautiful girl inside and out,” Aluen Navarro-Fenoy said, hyperventilating. “She was a free spirit and lived life to the fullest. On behalf of our family, thank you for the endless love and support that you have provided us.”

Then, in Spanish, she said a few phrases translated to “We carry you always in our hearts. We thank you for everything, my little brunette.”

jenny.yuen@sunmedia.ca
'I want answers now': OVO Fest after-party victim's dad | Toronto & GTA | News |

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Cabbies who allegedly turned down Muzik victim still sought
By Don Peat, City Hall Bureau Chief First posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 04:48 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 04:58 PM EDT
TORONTO - City officials have yet to identify the taxi drivers who allegedly refused Ariela Navarro-Fenoy and her friends an $8 ride before she was killed in crossfire near Muzik nightclub.

A friend of Navarro-Fenoy, 26, says several cabbies parked on Dufferin St. on Aug. 4 refused to take them the short drive home to Bathurst St. and Lake Shore Blvd. W. moments before gunfire erupted.

Under the city’s rules, taxi drivers are “not permitted to refuse a fare based on limited distance.”

City spokesman Rosalynd Rupert confirmed municipal licensing and standards (ML&S) hasn’t identified or charged any taxi driver with an offence.

Rupert said licensing has received eight complaints about short fare refusals since Aug. 2, but none were from the area around Muzik.

“ML&S has not received any information from members of the public that would assist in identifying any taxi drivers who may have been operating in this area of the city at the time of this event,” she said. “ML&S welcomes any information from members of the public and will follow up on all information.”
Cabbies who allegedly turned down Muzik victim still sought | Toronto & GTA | Ne

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
No, attending a Rap/Hip Hop show caused her to die..........

No; attending a Rap/Hip Hop show caused her to die........

Actually, the coward that shot the gun caused her to die.

The cabbie, if it is proven that he didn't pick them up due to the small fare, should be tossed. Your job is to provide a service to everyone that deserves it, small fare or large.