Former NCAA basketball player charged in fatal shooting of mom of four

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Former NCAA basketball player charged in fatal shooting of mom of four
By Maryam Shah ,Toronto Sun
First posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 09:34 AM EDT | Updated: Sunday, April 13, 2014 07:41 PM EDT
TORONTO - A former NCAA basketball player is one of two young men charged with first-degree murder in the drive-by shooting of a mother of four.

Andrea White, 33, was with her family and friends Saturday night in the garage of her Grace Hartman Housing Co-operative home — near Morningside and Old Finch Aves. — when she was shot, police said Sunday.

Her loved ones had to carry her inside, where she collapsed and died shortly after.

Former college basketball player Alwayne Bigby, 23, faces charges along with Michael Davani, 21.

According to Toronto Police, White was shot around 11 p.m. after a white Land Rover drove past her home and a firearm was discharged from the passenger side.

Det. Dave ****inson said multiple gunshots were fired.

Calls to 911 led Ontario Provincial Police officers to pursue a suspect vehicle, he said.

OPP attempted to stop the SUV at Hwy. 401 and Avenue Rd. but the driver refused and headed northbound on Bathurst St., police said.

The two occupants then fled on foot.

Davani was arrested nearby a short time later. Bigby turned himself in around 5:30 a.m. Sunday, police say.

A firearm was also found in the 401-Avenue Rd. area, according to police.

****inson said White was not known to police and had no criminal record.

“We believe the address was targeted but I don’t have a motive for the shooting,” he said.

Bigby captained Toronto’s Eastern Commerce Collegiate Institute high school team for three seasons, winning the provincial championship in 2009. He went on to play college basketball at Northeastern University and at the University of Rhode Island.

He was also once a member of Canada’s junior national team.

Bigby and Davani are scheduled to appear Monday in court at 1911 Eglinton Ave. E.

Neighbours and friends who knew White and her common-law husband said they were shocked at the brazen shooting.

“She’s not the kind of person with problems or beef or anything,” friend Melvin, 36, said, calling her a “loving” person who was involved in her community.

“I wonder why it had to happen to her, why didn’t the bullet go somewhere else?” Melvin said as he stood outside her home.

The father of White’s four children — the youngest about age four or five and the oldest a teenager — was “really hurt” by the sudden loss of his wife, Melvin said.

“The kind of person that I know she is, I don’t think it was meant for her,” he added.

As children continued to bike and play basketball outdoors, residents of the complex spent most of Sunday watching in silence as officers probed the scene and knocked on doors.

A single father to two sons, John-Mark Boivin cut his vacation short when his children texted him Saturday night that shots had been fired a few doors away from their own home.

The 53-year-old said he loves the “tight-knit” nature of his neighbourhood but has concluded it’s time to move on.

“I’m outta here, absolutely,” he said. “This neighbourhood here, I don’t know why they say it’s safe. It’s not.”

Others blamed outsiders for creating trouble.

One resident in his 40s — who did not want to be identified — said it is “not like an unsafe community.”

“Everything that happened in here over the years, it was always people who come into the area from outside,” he stressed.

Police say anyone with information should call the homicide squad at 416-808-7400.

Former NCAA basketball player charged in fatal shooting of mom of four | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well, if you think stand your ground somehow applies to Canada, I suppose it does.

Hey if you want to be absolutely ridiculous comparing what happened in Kansas to Stand Your Ground... turn about is fair play homey.

Or do you think only people like you get to say stupid sh*t and not get called on it.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ex-NCAA player in court on murder charge
By Maryam Shah ,Toronto Sun First posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 09:24 AM EDT | Updated: Monday, April 14, 2014 09:47 PM EDT
TORONTO - Andrea White’s grandfather wanted to see the two young men accused of killing his granddaughter with his own two eyes.
That’s why 74-year-old Don White drove Monday from his Cambridge home to an east Toronto courthouse where former NCAA basketball player Alwayne Bigby and co-accused Michael Davani briefly appeared on first-degree murder charges.
Bigby, 23, was remanded into custody till April 22. Davani, 21, was remanded till May 6, with Davani’s lawyer requesting a publication ban on the proceedings.
The senior said he could not take his eyes off the pair, who appeared separately.
“I just felt hatred towards them, I’m not kidding,” he said afterward.
Bigby and Davani were arrested after a fatal drive-by shooting claimed the life of White — a 33-year-old mother of four with no criminal record — late Saturday night.
White was standing in the garage of her Grace Hartman Housing Co-op home, having a cigarette with her husband, when gunshots rang out from the passenger side of a white Land Rover just after 11 p.m., police said.
Shot once in the abdomen, Andrea was dead minutes after her family carried her inside.
Toronto Police Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsinga said investigators believe White was not the intended target.
“It’s literally a drive-by shooting,” he said. “It’s an idiot with a gun firing indiscriminately at a group of people and he happens to hit her.”
But while the complex was targeted in general, Idsinga couldn’t say if anyone was targeted in particular.
“If they did have a specific target, I don’t know who it was, but I don’t believe it was her at all,” he said.
While her grandfather admitted he hadn’t seen White since she was 15, her violent death hit him hard.
“She was a good kid,” he said. “She didn’t do anything illegal or bad. I don’t know what to say. She was just a good mother, she loved her children, she’d do anything for them.”
White’s grieving family spent Monday arranging for a private funeral service.
In a brief statement at 42 Division, cousin Tammy Wilkinson — flanked by an aunt and another female relative hugging and weeping softly — had a message for those behind White’s death.
“Your actions have left Andrea’s children (two sons and two daughters) – ages six, nine, 14, and 16 – without their mother, and her husband Bobby without his wife,” she said.
“Your actions have both shattered and united a grieving family, and through the chaos and grief you have created, your actions have strengthened the community,” she said.
The ongoing investigation means family would not discuss details of the case, Wilkinson said.
A candlelight vigil is scheduled for 6 p.m. Wednesday at the complex, and a trust fund for the children is in the works, she added.
Before walking into court, White said Andrea’s husband and children are currently staying with a relative.
“They don’t want to go back in the house where their mother died,” he said.
Ex-NCAA player in court on murder charge | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Former teammates 'in shock' over ex-NCAA player's murder charges
First posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 10:17 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, April 14, 2014 10:27 PM EDT
TORONTO - For a few years the Toronto native was a basketball star living the dream of playing in the NCAA and enjoying the educational opportunity of a lifetime.
On Monday Alwayne Bigby, 23, was in shackles and an orange jumpsuit.
Several family members and friends sitting in the courtroom refused to speak with reporters outside afterward.
One woman burst into tears in court. Another had to be helped out by two women.
Two former teammates who played basketball with Bigby said they were in shock at the allegations against him.
Bigby played for Northeastern University and the University of Rhode Island, and was once a member of Canada’s national junior team.
Mat MacDonald, 23, said the man in shackles wasn’t the Alwayne he knew.
“You can see that everyone is in shock because this is not the Alwayne they know and love,” he told the Toronto Sun in an e-mail.
“We are all here to support Alwayne because the reality is, if we were down, he would be the first one there to pick us up. He was our leader.”
MacDonald fondly recalled when he moved to Toronto from Halifax in 2006 and joined Eastern Commerce Collegiate Institute’s basketball team. Bigby — who captained the team for three seasons and led it to a provincial championship in 2009 — was one of the first people to welcome him with open arms.
“He dedicated everything he had into being successful on the basketball court,” MacDonald said.
Another former teammate, Alex Hill, said he’s “never had one negative experience” with Bigby, whom he described as “well-spoken” and a role model for younger basketball players.
“Alwayne was a success story, he was someone coaches could point to and say: there is someone to look up to,” Hill wrote in an e-mail to the Sun.
Having known him since 2004, Hill said Bigby “always lit up” any room he walked into.
“I was and still am devastated by the news,” he said.
Former teammates 'in shock' over ex-NCAA player's murder charges | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Accused in drive-by slaying convicted of role in armed robbery
Judge gave chance to not head down 'bad road'
By Terry Davidson ,Toronto Sun
First posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 10:13 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, April 14, 2014 10:47 PM EDT
TORONTO - One of two young men charged with murdering a Scarborough mother of four had recently been given a chance by a judge to turn his life around.
In January, Michael Davani stood before Justice Robert Clark to be sentenced for his role as the getaway car driver in a 2011 armed robbery of an Etobicoke employment agency by a group of young men.
Clark told Davani he was headed down a “bad road,” but — based on Davani’s success at high school, the support of his family, and his desire to one day attend university — the judge had enough faith in the 21-year-old to give him credit for the two and a half years he had spent in pre-trial custody.
Clark released Davani to live with his mother and two sisters, serve three years probation, complete community service, possess no illegal weapons — and hopefully turn his life around.
A jury convicted Davani of robbery for the July 26, 2011, crime but he was acquitted of possessing a firearm — the latter of which may have meant being handed additional jail time if he had been convicted.
Clark told court he had been “very seriously contemplating giving (Davani) more (jail) time,” but, in the end, decided against it.
“You are going down a bad road, sir, and I hope that the time you’ve spent in custody has caused you to reflect on your misguided ventures,” said Clark, who called the robbery “deliberate” but “reckless” and poorly thought out during sentencing. “You are not a very good criminal. So you’re on the road to a bad life unless you straighten yourself out. And you’re the only one that can do it ... You are going to be released from custody today, but the rest of your life is in your hands.”
This past Saturday, Davani was once again in the hands of Toronto Police — this time charged with first-degree murder along with former NCAA basketball player Alwayne Bigby, 23, in the shooting of Andrea White, a 33-year-old married mother of four.
— With files from Sam Pazzano
Accused in drive-by slaying convicted of role in armed robbery | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Cops speaking in riddles in Andrea White slaying
By Joe Warmington ,Toronto Sun
First posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 11:27 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, April 14, 2014 11:36 PM EDT
TORONTO - You should be bloody scared if some “idiot with a gun” shot and killed an innocent mother of four in her garage just to send a message to the neighbourhood.
“It’s literally a drive-by shooting,” Toronto Police Homicide’s Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsinga told the Toronto Sun’s Maryam Shah Monday. “It’s an idiot with a gun firing indiscriminately at a group of people and he happens to hit her.”
An idiot with good aim, as it turns out.
Andrea White, 33, was struck from a shooter inside a vehicle that sped off.
She then bled out after her family pulled her into her Forest Creek Pathway home, in the Grace Hartman Housing Co-operative in Scarborough.
Petrifying!
This comes just two weeks shy of being one year since 20-year-old Kwado “Kojo” Mensah, a former Don Bosco Eagles high school football player, was shot and killed on the same street.
Related? Retribution? A coincidence?
Police were talking in riddles.
“We are aware of that previous investigation,” said Det. Dave ****inson.
So why was a mother of four kids just out for a smoke in her garage gunned down like this?
“I don’t believe it was random, I believe it was targeted,” ****inson told the media Monday.
So White was targeted?
“Not necessarily,” police say.
Said ****inson: “It’s fair to say that it could be a coincidence that she was hit.”
Said Idsinga: “If they did have a specific target, I don’t know who it was but I don’t believe it was her at all.”
OK.
So who was the target?
Her husband, Bobby Lewis? A neighbour? A friend?
Police are keeping it close to the vest.
“Whether the house was targeted or the community was targeted, I do believe it was targeted,” said ****inson.
Stay tuned.
It kind of has a Danzig Street feel to it. Or even Boxing Day on Yonge Street when Jane Creba was slain.
It’s disgusting and unacceptable, whatever it is.
Two men are in custody and when it appears the person they are charged for killing is innocent, I don’t know how much I want to hear about what a promising basketball star one of them was. The four children without their mother is top of mind for me.
Whatever the reason, it takes a special kind of atrocious to gun down a defenceless woman having a cigarette in her garage with her children on site as witnesses.
And if it was payback to an area for the previous incident, it’s unimaginable to think somebody could kill a person just because she was standing there.
This “idiot with a gun” reminded me of the Eaton Centre shootings in June of 2012 when then acting deputy chief Jeff Maguire said “one idiot with a gun doesn’t speak to the state of affairs of Toronto.”
Police then said “even though there are several persons who have now been identified in this case as being known gang members, or who have gang associations, I do not believe this to be a gang-motivated shooting.”
Police in the White slaying also say they know of no gang activity, even though it’s a “targeted shooting” that was “planned.”
What should be added to the “idiot with a gun” explanation is “idiot with a gun” shooting into places where there are children and innocent people.
Statistics show there are too many idiots who will use their guns in Toronto.
Many of them connected to gangs.
We may not soon know the story on this one.
“I imagine if I ever identify the motive, which I think I will, it’ll be a matter for the courts as opposed to the media, unfortunately,” said Idsinga.
Somehow in Toronto we are told that Mayor Rob Ford urinating in a park is of public interest but two guys unloading a weapon into a suburban garage is something the public is forced to connect the dots on themselves.
Police think court and convictions and it’s a daunting task. However, it would be better, in my view, to tell the public exactly what this is all about so they understand if they are safe, or not, to have a cigarette in their garage.
Until then, rest well residents of Forest Creek Pathway, since your neighbourhood may or may not have been targeted by people who may or may not have been involved in gang activity.
Cops speaking in riddles in Andrea White slaying | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Slain Mom was random victim: Cops
First posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 09:26 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 09:49 PM EDT
TORONTO - A mother of four shot dead over the weekend was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, Toronto Police alleged Wednesday.
Andrea White — a 33-year-old killed last Saturday night while standing in her garage smoking with her husband – was an innocent victim and had nothing to do with the two men accused in her death, homicide Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsinga alleged at a press conference.
The accused men allegedly drove into White’s housing complex at Morningside and Old Finch Aves., firing six shots in her general direction with one hitting her in the abdomen, police said.
One of the men recklessly fired a gun — in the same community where a friend was gunned down a year ago — out of anger, Idsinga alleged.
The two drove to the Grace Hartman Housing Co-op around 11 p.m. intending to cause harm and target the community in general, after attending a west-end memorial service for Kwado Mensah, a 20-year-old who was shot and killed last April in the same complex, he alleged.
Either one or both of the accused knew Mensah, who was born on April 12, 1993, exactly 21 years to the day fore White was killed, Idsinga said.
The pair “acted out their anger by discharging a firearm in the co-op housing complex where Mensah was killed in 2013,” he alleged.
Sheldon Scrubb of Milton was arrested for Mensah’s death last year. Neither of them resided in the co-op.
There is nothing to link White to the shooters, other than the fact that White lived in the same complex where Mensah died, Idsinga said.
“I have no connection between anyone in that garage, anyone in that residence, let alone anyone in that complex, and the shooters,” he said.
Michael Davani, 21, and former NCAA player Alwayne Bigby, 23, are charged with first-degree murder in White’s death.
The homicide detective’s update came at the same time as White’s loved ones remembered her in a candlelight vigil outside her home.
Through tears, Andrea’s mother Wendy White told reporters she was “very angry” at those responsible for her daughter’s death.
“Why would you just ruin your whole life to do something like this and take away somebody so innocent like my daughter?” Wendy White said.
She also felt the pain of the mothers of the accused, she added.
Deputy Chief Peter Sloly alleged White died in a “tragic and random act of violence.”
Police patrols have increased in the area to “restore confidence and calm in the neighbourhood and provide direct support to the family,” Sloly said.
“This homicide is tragic on so many levels,” Sloly said. “Ms. Andrea White did not deserve what happened.”
— Files from Jack Boland
Slain Mom was random victim: Cops | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun