Chara's Hit on Pacioretty

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
YouTube - NHL 3/8/11 - Zdeno Chara KILLS Max Pacioretty into the stanchion (HD)

Concussion and fratured vertebrae.

Intent....given the history of these two players this season I'd side with yes.

Like Price said after the game: Montreal goalie Carey Price said that no matter how fast the game moves, every player knows -- or should know -- where they are on the ice.

My guess yet another wrist slap for the NHL and another player goes down indefinately.

Anyone remember a kid named Sid?.....still not skating.

This game is getting pathetic.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Re: Montreal Canadians

chara is a huge man, and after watching the hit many times, I see that he was just rubbing him off
along the boards, and it was the glass partition that was the culprit.

the responsibility should be with the NHL to pack all of those partitions with something so that
they are softer, because it is amazing that this hasn't happened many times before, well it actually
has, but not with quite the impact of last night.
Those partitions are just serious injuries waiting to happen, and last night it did.

being hit on the boards at a high speed by chara is not a small matter, the
speed they were going is the problem, and apparantly the hit was late, but many hits after the
fact, like that one, are not even called as interference, that call is so different all over the
league, depending on what referee the game has.

I don't think chara should be suspended at all, he did a legal body check, with no intent to injure,
and if they wanted to call interference fine, but that was it in my opinion.

There is no way he was intentionally trying to ram him into the glass partition.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

I disagree.

He clearly shoved him into the bar and gave him no room to avoid it.

They got into a scrap earlier this year and their is some bad blood their.

Someone is going to be killed and the careers of Savard, Crosby and Max are in jeopardy.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

I disagree.

He clearly shoved him into the bar and gave him no room to avoid it.

They got into a scrap earlier this year and their is some bad blood their.

Someone is going to be killed and the careers of Savard, Crosby and Max are in jeopardy.

if he intentionally shoved him into the glass partition, then he was actually trying to kill him,
as he would know that could happen, but at the speed they are going, (and I don't care what happened
to them previously, things happen to players previously all the time over the years.)the impact is
huge, and chara would not have been trying to kill him, chara is not a dirty player, doesn't have
previous incidents of dirty play, so 'no', I don't think he even saw the partition at that speed,
and i'm sure he had other things on his mind, other than trying to injure or kill him, he is just
competing at a high level, and at high speed, and the game is rough, and stuff happens.

The partitions are hazardous and could cause a death.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

He gives him that extra shove to the head at the end of the check. Looks pretty intentional.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

if he intentionally shoved him into the glass partition, then he was actually trying to kill him,
as he would know that could happen, but at the speed they are going, (and I don't care what happened
to them previously, things happen to players previously all the time over the years.)the impact is
huge, and chara would not have been trying to kill him, chara is not a dirty player, doesn't have
previous incidents of dirty play, so 'no', I don't think he even saw the partition at that speed,
and i'm sure he had other things on his mind, other than trying to injure or kill him, he is just
competing at a high level, and at high speed, and the game is rough, and stuff happens.

The partitions are hazardous and could cause a death.

Sorry, don't buy it.

A veteran hockey player knows where he is on the ice.

The league will agree with you though.

I'm just glad he's not dead, but I'm getting a greater sense now that it is only a matter of time before it happens right in front of or eyes.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I honestly don't think that hitting him into the stanchion was intentional; looking at the overhead shot, he finished the check off with a shove, the same as they all do. Chara didn't do anything different than 99% of the checks out there. Still, he is responsible for what happened, and I think it's only right that he be out unitl Pachioretti returns. And if that's forever, so be it.

Have tickets to the Montreal-Boston game in Boston in a couple of weeks, that's going to be an interesting one...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

I think he was given 5 games suspension, so I guess the league saw some intent, I will watch
the hit again, don't know how, at the speed they were going, he could have shoved his head
at the last second, he body checked him at a very high speed, didn't elbow him, and was gone
at a high rate of speed, and of course the hit was intentional, bodychecking is legal in the
game.

I will still support chara, because after seeing this many times, I don't see the intent to
injure, chara is 6'9", and not just tall, very very big.

From time to time ugly incidents will happen in hockey because of the speed, body contact and the
size of the players, it can't be stopped, unless they take body contact out of the game all together.

Of course the montreal supporters will be against chara, and feel he was trying to injure, but I
don't see it that way.

Just let someone push you into the boards at the slow speed one skates around the rink, and feel how
hard it is, then bang your head on the edge of the glass at the same speed, and feel how much
it hurts, then magnify it by 'whatever' needs to match the size of them, and the speed they are
going, and it is more like being hit by a car.

I just watched it again, no elbowing, a clean body check, but right where the glass
partition is, if that had not been there, the check would have been harmless but
hard, the penalty is interference, because he made the hit 'late' after the puck
was gone.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Whether it was intentional or not, the fact is that yet another promising player is side-lined with a severe concussion. How many more players is the league willing to lose before they start giving them some real protection? Good idea of talloola's about the padding but the NHL could go even further by putting some real teeth behind their rules and do something, for pete's sake, about bringing some consistency to the refereeing - from what I have seen this season, it appears to be a whim of the particular referee whether to call a penalty or not. How is a player to know whether they will be penalized for any given hit when the outcome is so up in the air?

The latest I hear about Sidney is that they are still evaluating him but it doesn't look good for him to be back this season. :-(

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I honestly don't think that hitting him into the stanchion was intentional; looking at the overhead shot, he finished the check off with a shove, the same as they all do. Chara didn't do anything different than 99% of the checks out there. Still, he is responsible for what happened, and I think it's only right that he be out unitl Pachioretti returns. And if that's forever, so be it.

Have tickets to the Montreal-Boston game in Boston in a couple of weeks, that's going to be an interesting one...

He will get 1 or 2 games.

Stanchion....thanks, I was trying to remember what that thing was called.;-)

I wouldn't go as far as suspending him indefinately but 5 to 10 would be nice and a reveiw of the rules and safety of the rinks.

I think he was given 5 games suspension, so I guess the league saw some intent, I will watch
the hit again, don't know how, at the speed they were going, he could have shoved his head
at the last second, he body checked him at a very high speed, didn't elbow him, and was gone
at a high rate of speed, and of course the hit was intentional, bodychecking is legal in the
game.

I will still support chara, because after seeing this many times, I don't see the intent to
injure, chara is 6'9", and not just tall, very very big.

From time to time ugly incidents will happen in hockey because of the speed, body contact and the
size of the players, it can't be stopped, unless they take body contact out of the game all together.

Of course the montreal supporters will be against chara, and feel he was trying to injure, but I
don't see it that way.

Just let someone push you into the boards at the slow speed one skates around the rink, and feel how
hard it is, then bang your head on the edge of the glass at the same speed, and feel how much
it hurts, then magnify it by 'whatever' needs to match the size of them, and the speed they are
going, and it is more like being hit by a car.

I just watched it again, no elbowing, a clean body check, but right where the glass
partition is, if that had not been there, the check would have been harmless but
hard, the penalty is interference, because he made the hit 'late' after the puck
was gone.

What you are saying is Chara didn't know where he was hitting Max....I can't agree with that.

He knew exactly where he was.

If it's 5, I'll be happy with that.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't like the idea of suspending a player the length of time the injured player is out injured.

Some players are easily injured with a light hit, some seriously injured with a legal hit, etc.

The other team should not have control over the suspended player, as to how long he stays out.
That is a league decision, and should have a time for suspension to end.

Not sure why chara got 5 games, probably because the injury is serious, and also so that they
do not get too much uprising from the montreal side, I don't think he deserves 5 games.
If he hadn't hit him late, the hit would not have happened at all, and the glass partition
would not have come into play at all, but as I said before, the refereeing is so bad, that
hits that are late, are 'sometimes' called, and 'sometimes' not, so players really don't know
where the cut off time is, we talk about that all the time.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Hockey is a blood sport. I used to like Gordie Elbows Howe. Hockey injuries can be serious. I wonder how many Canadians have their dreams and bodies crushed by crosschecks in any given Canadian hockey season?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think Charo did this intentionally. He meant to rub the guy off on the partition. That was about as close as I've seen
to somebody getting killed in the game. It would not have surprised me if the Montreal player died. It is not as if
Charo didn't know about the damned partition..

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Chara did give the guy an extra shot at the end, as hundreds of players have in hundreds of other occasions. It was worth a penalty for boarding or interference. To me, thats temper. The kid was getting under Chara's skin a bit and he gave the extra shot back, which is what guys are hoping for: they WANT to draw that undisciplined call. For us to say that there was intent to injure, implies a cold bloodedness in Chara that has not been in evidence to this point in his career. Yes, he's big and physical but not noted for giving a lot of cheap shots. I would say "no" to supplemental discipline but thats me.

I think the villain that is going undiscussed is one that the much villainized Don Cherry has brought up: the design of stanchions and boards in the NHL. Guys have been hurt by them before. Guys will be hurt by them again. What will it take to get some structural engineering types to look at some way to make them safer for the guys on the ice and those off it?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What will it take to get some structural engineering types to look at some way to make them safer for the guys on the ice and those off it?

I'm a housewife and I can explain to them for free, no engineers involved, how to build the stanchions properly.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
From the Boston Globe....

Let us begin with the simple fact that Zdeno Chara had every intention of running Max Pacioretty into, as Carey Price called it "the turnbuckle." What Chara did not expect was for Pacioretty to clip the glass the way he did, his head struck at such a frightening angle that Pacioretty was carried away on a stretcher.

Full column here.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Should have been a 2 minute interference penalty and nothing more. I do understand the whining from Habs fans....they're Habs fans...it's what they do best.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The simple thing here is that we are responsible for our own actions. There is no doubt in my mind that
Chara intentionally ran Max's head against the stanchion. When Max hit the verticle structural member
Chara's left hand was in the region of the back of Max's head.

Someone suggested that Chara should be out as long as Max is.......That sounds completely reasonable to me.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
There is no doubt in my mind that Chara intentionally ran Max's head against the stanchion.

Then you are either incredibly arrogant or incredibly stupid. How in the hell could you have no doubt about his intentions. Are you the Amazing Kreskin? Did Chara call you last night and confirm his intentions to you?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Then you are either incredibly arrogant or incredibly stupid. How in the hell could you have no doubt about his intentions. Are you the Amazing Kreskin? Did Chara call you last night and confirm his intentions to you?
Without getting into a screaming match with you, I have my reasons,
not the least of which is that Chara took his left hand off his stick and
used it to drive Pacioretty into the stanchion. Chara looked back at
Pacioretty lying on the ice and skated away.

Last edited: