2010 Stanley Cup Predictions And Why

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
2010 Stanley Cup Predictions And Why

Toronto Maple leafs are in last place and I feel that they are the underdogs this season and may have a shot at the Stanley Cup in 2010.

The big question is if the captain can put some fight into players and if the coach can bring the best out of the players.

There is a lot of potential here and this new Toronto Maple Leafs can go all the way in 2010

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
Sure wont be the Canadians,why? most of the team is sub par and management cant seem to get whats needed, moves like letting Souray and Striet go to other teams,the few players who did work last year,Schneider and Lang gone,
its like they just shuffle the deck every year with the same caliber players and expect the team to do better,Also is the requirement for only a bilingual coach or GM really handicaps the selection for any change in upper manegement.
My prediction?wont get passed 2nd round of playoffs.
By mid season i might have to amend that prediction to wont make the playoffs.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
For the sake of hockey in general lets hope Brian Burke fails miserably. There is no bigger prick in Canada than him.

As for the Habs, is it time to shelve Gainey? Every year he rearranges the deck chairs on the Titanic.

The cup will stay south of the boarder, unfortunately.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Pittsburgh. I think they will repeat this year. They lost a few players, but the new additions should fit well.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Keep your eye on washington, they are very strong this season, along with
philly, and of course, again san jose is strong, but they now have the reputation
of choking in the playoffs.
Pittsburg will do well, but don't think they will repeat.
canucks, calgary, rangers, anaheim, detroit and chicago are all strong, so we'll see where they all end up.
l.a., colorado, atlanta, who were the doormats last season, are looking much better, along with tampa bay.

Injuries play such a big part of 'just' how strong teams finish.

There are goons in every walk of life, but not so much in the NHL any more,
but they are closer than we sometimes imagine.;-)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Keep your eye on washington, they are very strong this season, along with
philly, and of course, again san jose is strong, but they now have the reputation
of choking in the playoffs.
Pittsburg will do well, but don't think they will repeat.
canucks, calgary, rangers, anaheim, detroit and chicago are all strong, so we'll see where they all end up.
l.a., colorado, atlanta, who were the doormats last season, are looking much better, along with tampa bay.
Injuries play such a big part of 'just' how strong teams finish.
There are goons in every walk of life, but not so much in the NHL any more,
but they are closer than we sometimes imagine.;-)

I don't think I would bet serious money that the Canucks will make it past the second round of the play-offs but they will be stronger than last year. They have more depth. The idea of losing one of the Sedins would have once been a disaster but while the team last night did miss the second Sedin, they found a way to win. Kestler is coming into his own now, playing more aggressive and getting goals for his efforts.

My prediction......Probably Pittsburg.......

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think the Charlestown Chiefs will win because they're awesome! :D

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Lets keep to the Thread Topic. Several Posts have been removed.
This Thread is about the "2010 Stanley Cup Predictions & Why."

Congratulations, Ron, you took all the fun out of this thread.

So, to follow your bland and boring criterion, here is my prediction: Either the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Manitoba Moose.

WHY?? Why NOT??

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't think I would bet serious money that the Canucks will make it past the second round of the play-offs but they will be stronger than last year. They have more depth. The idea of losing one of the Sedins would have once been a disaster but while the team last night did miss the second Sedin, they found a way to win. Kestler is coming into his own now, playing more aggressive and getting goals for his efforts.

My prediction......Probably Pittsburg.......

I think canucks will have lots of problems without daniel, and dimitra has had a
serious set- back with his rehab, so we won't see him for a while, so they need to
figure out how to replace that scoring, and they need to take
bernier off of that first line, he doesn't help them at all, maybe put samuelsson
there with henrik and burrows, and put bernier with raymond and kesler, seems
like a better fit to me, and maybe bring in another player, either with trade, or
from the moose, too bad sharokov and grabner weren't a bit more ready, because
they are both high end offensive players, but not quite ready for NHL level.
That game last night was scrambly for both teams, glad we managed to win, but
could have been either team, time just happened to run out, and we looked
awsome on shoot out, and luongo did too.

I wouldn't bet money on 'any' team for the cup, so much time till that happens
anything can take place to either boost a team, or sink a team, so I give lots
of teams a chance, and a few, more of a chance.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Not the Hamilton Kaiyoots!

Or the Winnipeg Thrashers...that will have to wait til next year.

Philly/Chicago final. I would pick the Sharks but if they haven't come close with what they've had, there is no reason to believe they can do it this year.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
The Vancouver Canucks are going to drink from the cup in 2010 because the Olympic spirit will inspire the hometown boys and set every fibre of their beings on fire to bring the cup home!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The Vancouver Canucks are going to drink from the cup in 2010 because the Olympic spirit will inspire the hometown boys and set every fibre of their beings on fire to bring the cup home!

They will finally all be healthy by march, and just slip into the playoffs by a
'hair', and win the first series in the 7th game, then the second series in the
7th game, also the third, and breeze through the finals 4 straight. :?::-?:cool::roll::-|,
yeah, they can do that.:-? um sure they can:-|:canada:

GO CANUCKS GO

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
Didn't know anyone still watched hockey after the players strike. Its all but dead south of the border.

For American teams I'd have to say the Caps and Colorado are looking really strong. Canadian I'd like to say the Sens but it looks like the Flames are the only team with a shot, bar injuries.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Didn't know anyone still watched hockey after the players strike. Its all but dead south of the border.

For American teams I'd have to say the Caps and Colorado are looking really strong. Canadian I'd like to say the Sens but it looks like the Flames are the only team with a shot, bar injuries.
Seems like you haven't kept up to date, San Jose seems like the strongest team
right now, canadians don't say the sens, not for a long time, it was montreal
a couple of years ago for a while, but now they have lost a step or two, when
vancouver get all of their players back they will be up there, and philly and
buffalo are doing really well, and rangers are getting better now with gaborik
on the team, so there are quite a few prospects, and some of the poorer teams
are looking better this year, (not toronto though lol), although they did win
last night against detroit, who do not have as good a team as usual.
Canadians will never lose interest in 'their' game, but many of the teams in
the u s shouldn't even be there, as most of the u.s. couldn't care less about hockey.

JakeElwood

~ Blues Brother ~
Nov 27, 2009
3,963 miles from Chicago
Devils in 2010...

My Devils will beat the Capitals in the East, and then beat either the Hawks, Sharks or Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Final.

Why? Brodeur, Eliáš... enough said.

Last edited: