Flames Fans and Others...


MrJ
#1
Do you think they have what it takes this year? Do you think they can go all the way?..

I think they have a good chance this year. Not just because I'm a life long fan. I really think the coaching changes, as well as other changes; may give them what they need...

If we don't make it though, just make it any Canadian team, PLEASE! We need to bring it home already.
 
talloola
#2
Well as a canuck fan, of course I'm wishing for my team, but I'm certainly with you on the
canadian factor, after the canucks, any canadian team, (except toronto)
Calgary should do better this season, but after Vancouver finally got their
game together last night, I still think flames are a step behind, canucks started
off very tight and shaky and stayed that way then a few stupid penalties made
it worse, but as they made their way 'into' the game, you could see them take
over the play, then calgary looked vulnerable, but I do think they will be better than last season
 
DurkaDurka
#3
Calgary will probably battle for the top of the western conference along with Vancouver.
 
gerryh
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Calgary will probably battle for the top of the western conference along with Vancouver.


Which is what basically happened last year.

I think that what the Calgary organisation is looking at is a long term strategy. I don't think either Sutter (GM or Coach) is looking at winning the cup this year, just a good showing and concentrating on building the team. I believe what's wanted is a team that is consistantly in the top and able to take a solid run at the cup year after year, rather than a one timer like in '89, or the runs we had in '86 and '04.
 
gerryh
#5
As for a Canadian team winning the cup....it is way past time that Lord Stanleys cup came back to Canada where it belongs. The reasoning I used to use, as in the majority of players are Canadian anyways, has wore thin.
 
Cannuck
#6
The Flames are unlikely to win the cup until they move either Phaneuf or Iginla. There is too much tension in the dressing room. With Sutter behind the bench, it'll be interesting to see what happens now. I know he is partial to Phaneuf but he's the guy I would trade if I had the chance.
 
Cannuck
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

I believe what's wanted is a team that is consistantly in the top and able to take a solid run at the cup year after year, rather than a one timer like in '89, or the runs we had in '86 and '04.

That's another reason Calgary's chances of winning the cup are slim. Cup champions are created because teams are willing to gamble in order to win now. Look at Dallas trading Iginla for Niewendyk. They traded a big part of their future to fill a hole and win the cup. Calgary has not been willing to do that.
 
gerryh
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

That's another reason Calgary's chances of winning the cup are slim. Cup champions are created because teams are willing to gamble in order to win now. Look at Dallas trading Iginla for Niewendyk. They traded a big part of their future to fill a hole and win the cup. Calgary has not been willing to do that.


Calgary has already won the cup once..... we don't need another one timer. We need a team that is consistantly in the top, a cup contender. This will keep the seats in the stadium full and the team liquid.
 
#juan
#9
Flames fans?? a bunch of red necks all.

Hey...I just hit a milestone...12,000 posts....Isn't there a huge prize or something?
 
Cannuck
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Calgary has already won the cup once..... we don't need another one timer. We need a team that is consistantly in the top, a cup contender. This will keep the seats in the stadium full and the team liquid.

There is no doubt that Calgary is satisfied with perennial also-rans...that's why they are.
 
gerryh
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

There is no doubt that Calgary is satisfied with perennial also-rans...that's why they are.

I guess this is one more thing you and I disagree on.
 
MrJ
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Flames fans?? a bunch of red necks all.

Hey...I just hit a milestone...12,000 posts....Isn't there a huge prize or something?

I think you should get a t-shirt, or something...
 
Cannuck
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

I guess this is one more thing you and I disagree on.

On the contrary, we do agree. Flames fans are content with being contenders
 
MrJ
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

On the contrary, we do agree. Flames fans are content with being contenders


Not this one, lol!
 
talloola
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Flames fans?? a bunch of red necks all.

Hey...I just hit a milestone...12,000 posts....Isn't there a huge prize or something?

No prize, but welcome to the 'talk too much' catagory along with myself and others, don't think I've talked quite as much as you, i'm just under 8000. Congrats anyway, I enjoy your
posts, and recipes.
 
Cannuck
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by MrJView Post

Not this one, lol!

Would you trade Phaneuf?
 
talloola
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Calgary has already won the cup once..... we don't need another one timer. We need a team that is consistantly in the top, a cup contender. This will keep the seats in the stadium full and the team liquid.

It's hard to be consistently on top, unless the organization is very deep with their
minor players, like detroit. The only other way to get top players is to sit on
the bottom for ab out 5 years, and get top 3 or 4 draft picks, eg. pittsburg,
chicago, tampa bay and a few others.
Canucks, with Gillis are now building a good base of minor league players, he
has allready shown how 'being patient' and 'not' trading away your #1 draft picks
will pay off. He also isn't trading away good team players, eg. kesler etc.
Calgary needs to contend soon, as Iginla is now past his peak years, although
he is still good, he won't get better each year now, same with Kiprisoff, they
need to go for it soon, or they will be traded away for younger players.
 
Chev
#18
Will be interesting to see how the Oilers do this year, with new G.M., coaches, and some new players. Glad Sheldon is still here. He should be captain...
 
#juan
#19
Looks like Luongo had an interesting debut in the net. Like most Canucks teams they show promise in the training camp but can't seem to put it together in a real game on the ice. Vancouver has to get some snipers who can put the puck in the net when they need to. I'm willing to give them a bad game or two but how many are they going to need? Isn't Shanahan available?
 
MrJ
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Would you trade Phaneuf?

Personally I like having him on the team. It probably is time for him to move on though... Yes, I would trade him.
 
talloola
#21
The chat seems to be that Phaneuf will pull it together under the coaching of
Brent Sutter, and he will stop him from roaming around so much, and play a
much more structured game.
Phaneuf is still very young seems kind of nonconstructive to trade him now that
he is approaching his prime, and should be the best he can be for a few years.
Top defencemen are hard to acquire, so if a team builds their own to a point
where they are very desireable to other teams, what is the point of letting them
go.
 
talloola
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by ChevView Post

Will be interesting to see how the Oilers do this year, with new G.M., coaches, and some new players. Glad Sheldon is still here. He should be captain...

They still seem too small up front.
I like Souray, good pick up for Edmonton, they really need him, as long as he can
stay healthy.
 
Cannuck
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

The chat seems to be that Phaneuf will pull it together under the coaching of
Brent Sutter, and he will stop him from roaming around so much, and play a
much more structured game.

His play on the ice is irrelevant. He is a cancer in the dressing room. As long as Iggy and Phaneuf hate each other the chemistry will be poor. I believe the the Flames would be a better team if they simply released Phaneuf. Trading him is the answer. The Sutter's like him (particularly Brent) so I don't see him going anywhere. Does this mean the status quo continues or perhaps Iggy asks for a trade? Time will tell.
 
gerryh
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

His play on the ice is irrelevant. He is a cancer in the dressing room. As long as Iggy and Phaneuf hate each other the chemistry will be poor. I believe the the Flames would be a better team if they simply released Phaneuf. Trading him is the answer. The Sutter's like him (particularly Brent) so I don't see him going anywhere. Does this mean the status quo continues or perhaps Iggy asks for a trade? Time will tell.


I asked my son about this, and he's as much of an NHL fanatic as talloola if not more, and he hasn't heard anything about this.....where dd you get it from?
 
Cannuck
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

I asked my son about this, and he's as much of an NHL fanatic as talloola if not more, and he hasn't heard anything about this.....where dd you get it from?

I sit beside one of the player's mothers on the odd occasion I attend a game (a company I deal with has seasons tickets). My family is from Edmonton and knows the family of one of the Flames players. I got confirmation. The Flames have done a masterful job of keeping it hush hush and kudos to Iggy and Phaneuf for keeping it in the dressing room at least.
 
talloola
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

I asked my son about this, and he's as much of an NHL fanatic as talloola if not more, and he hasn't heard anything about this.....where dd you get it from?

I don't agree with that 'cancer in the dressing room thing' at all, for one thing
no one knows what happens in dressing rooms, as it 'stays there'.
Players don't talk to anyone outside the dressing room about what happens in
there.
Same as Casey Printers for the lions, he had the same reputation, but when they
interviewed Geroy Simon re: that problem, he said printers was always a good
teamate, and was 'never' a problem, "IT WAS ALL THE MEDIA", he said.
 
Cannuck
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

Players don't talk to anyone outside the dressing room about what happens in there.

Wrong

Iginla, assistant coach argue during a video session (external - login to view)
 
talloola
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Wrong

Iginla, assistant coach argue during a video session (external - login to view)

This is not dressing room stuff, coaches only go into dressing rooms for
pre game or post game chat, not video stuff, that is part of team/coach
instruction time.
I am talking about the 'team' and the 'dressing room'.
And coaches even say on interviews that they do not interfere with the
'room' very much, that is the teams space.
 
talloola
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I sit beside one of the player's mothers on the odd occasion I attend a game (a company I deal with has seasons tickets). My family is from Edmonton and knows the family of one of the Flames players. I got confirmation. The Flames have done a masterful job of keeping it hush hush and kudos to Iggy and Phaneuf for keeping it in the dressing room at least.

players parents shouldn't be shooting off their big mouths to other people about
things that aren't even their business to begin with.
players shouldn't be talking to people outside the 'room' about anything that goes
on 'in the room', that is gossipy and tacky.
It is extremely difficult to know anything that goes on in the canucks 'room',
as the media are always sticking their nose into everything they can, but
to their frustration, they cannot find out anything about 'inside the room', and
they say how private that area is.
 
Cannuck
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

players parents shouldn't be shooting off their big mouths to other people about
things that aren't even their business to begin with.
players shouldn't be talking to people outside the 'room' about anything that goes
on 'in the room', that is gossipy and tacky.

It doesn't matter what people should or shouldn't do. What's done is done. Players have discussed dressing room stuff outside the dressing room. Because you feel it shouldn't happen, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
 

Similar Threads

4
Flames come back
by #juan | Apr 14th, 2008
1
Oilers no 'gimme' for Flames
by CBC News | Mar 3rd, 2007
0
Senators stifled by Flames
by CBC News | Oct 13th, 2006
5
Ducks over Flames
by Kreskin | May 4th, 2006
6
Canucks @ Flames
by tawker | Feb 4th, 2006
no new posts