Flames Fans and Others...

MrJ

Oct 2, 2009
Calgary
Do you think they have what it takes this year? Do you think they can go all the way?..

I think they have a good chance this year. Not just because I'm a life long fan. I really think the coaching changes, as well as other changes; may give them what they need...

If we don't make it though, just make it any Canadian team, PLEASE! We need to bring it home already. 8O

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well as a canuck fan, of course I'm wishing for my team, but I'm certainly with you on the
canadian factor, after the canucks, any canadian team, (except toronto);-)
Calgary should do better this season, but after Vancouver finally got their
game together last night, I still think flames are a step behind, canucks started
off very tight and shaky and stayed that way then a few stupid penalties made
it worse, but as they made their way 'into' the game, you could see them take
over the play, then calgary looked vulnerable, but I do think they will be better than last season

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Calgary will probably battle for the top of the western conference along with Vancouver.

Which is what basically happened last year.

I think that what the Calgary organisation is looking at is a long term strategy. I don't think either Sutter (GM or Coach) is looking at winning the cup this year, just a good showing and concentrating on building the team. I believe what's wanted is a team that is consistantly in the top and able to take a solid run at the cup year after year, rather than a one timer like in '89, or the runs we had in '86 and '04.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
As for a Canadian team winning the cup....it is way past time that Lord Stanleys cup came back to Canada where it belongs. The reasoning I used to use, as in the majority of players are Canadian anyways, has wore thin. ;)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The Flames are unlikely to win the cup until they move either Phaneuf or Iginla. There is too much tension in the dressing room. With Sutter behind the bench, it'll be interesting to see what happens now. I know he is partial to Phaneuf but he's the guy I would trade if I had the chance.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I believe what's wanted is a team that is consistantly in the top and able to take a solid run at the cup year after year, rather than a one timer like in '89, or the runs we had in '86 and '04.

That's another reason Calgary's chances of winning the cup are slim. Cup champions are created because teams are willing to gamble in order to win now. Look at Dallas trading Iginla for Niewendyk. They traded a big part of their future to fill a hole and win the cup. Calgary has not been willing to do that.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That's another reason Calgary's chances of winning the cup are slim. Cup champions are created because teams are willing to gamble in order to win now. Look at Dallas trading Iginla for Niewendyk. They traded a big part of their future to fill a hole and win the cup. Calgary has not been willing to do that.

Calgary has already won the cup once..... we don't need another one timer. We need a team that is consistantly in the top, a cup contender. This will keep the seats in the stadium full and the team liquid.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Flames fans?? a bunch of red necks all. ;-);-);-):lol:

Hey...I just hit a milestone...12,000 posts....Isn't there a huge prize or something?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Calgary has already won the cup once..... we don't need another one timer. We need a team that is consistantly in the top, a cup contender. This will keep the seats in the stadium full and the team liquid.

There is no doubt that Calgary is satisfied with perennial also-rans...that's why they are.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Flames fans?? a bunch of red necks all. ;-);-);-):lol:

Hey...I just hit a milestone...12,000 posts....Isn't there a huge prize or something?

No prize, but welcome to the 'talk too much' catagory along with myself and others, don't think I've talked quite as much as you, i'm just under 8000. Congrats anyway, I enjoy your
posts, and recipes.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

It's hard to be consistently on top, unless the organization is very deep with their
minor players, like detroit. The only other way to get top players is to sit on
the bottom for ab out 5 years, and get top 3 or 4 draft picks, eg. pittsburg,
chicago, tampa bay and a few others.
Canucks, with Gillis are now building a good base of minor league players, he
has allready shown how 'being patient' and 'not' trading away your #1 draft picks
will pay off. He also isn't trading away good team players, eg. kesler etc.
Calgary needs to contend soon, as Iginla is now past his peak years, although
he is still good, he won't get better each year now, same with Kiprisoff, they
need to go for it soon, or they will be traded away for younger players.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Will be interesting to see how the Oilers do this year, with new G.M., coaches, and some new players. Glad Sheldon is still here. He should be captain...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Looks like Luongo had an interesting debut in the net. Like most Canucks teams they show promise in the training camp but can't seem to put it together in a real game on the ice. Vancouver has to get some snipers who can put the puck in the net when they need to. I'm willing to give them a bad game or two but how many are they going to need? Isn't Shanahan available?;-)