NHL Playoffs '09

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
This season seemed kinda wierd to me but I had a lot going on myself so I didn't pay attention as closely as I usually do to the regular season. Some things never seem to change: my beloved Isles struggled mightily; the Maple Leafs continued in futility even though the media circus up here never stopped around them; more big money free agents failed to produce (especially in Manhattan); people lobbied for changes to fighting/instigator rules on both sides; some young players thrilled crowds (Ovechkin et al), some didn't live up to their hype (Fabian Brunstrom) and 8 months later, we're starting another tournament to determine who deserves Lord Stanley's Cup in their trophy case. Here are my picks, feel free to add yours!

The West

San Jose (1) vs Anaheim (8) - This *should* be an easy win for the Sharks but I have some doubts, namely in goal for San Jose. Nabokov looked stellar in the regular season (again), but this is a guy who habitually disappears in the playoffs. The Ducks seemed to be missing a step this season but have all the pieces to make a run and they have a lot of experience as well if they can gel. I can't call the upset as much as I would like to. Sharks in 7.

Detroit (2) vs Columbus (7) - The NHL's version of Team Energizer Bunny vs a Never Been There Before. Osgood and Moss don't give me a lot of confidence as far as netminding tandem go, but I thought Hasek was overrated in his tenure in Hockeytown, USA: I thought the Wings' team defense was what won them games and championships and really I think it still can. The offensive spark seems to be lacking a little and at Stevie -2 years I think they do miss some of that drive and leadership... but they're still the Extremely Talented Red Wings. Columbus has nothing to prove really and while the regular season will be hailed a success, their playoff hopes will be shortlived despite the play of Rick Nash and Steve Mason. Wings in 5*

Vancouver (3) vs St. Louis (6) - Surprising St Louis vs the enigmatic Canucks. Vancouver's offense has made a history of keeping the legend of disappearing Europeans in April alive. St Louis is a lot like Columbus in that they're a surprise to be here... unfortunately there's not enough Blues team to beat Roberto Luongo in net and as great as Chris Mason has been (good year for goaltending Masons :p) , this will be a learning experience for him. Canucks in 5

Chicago (4) vs Calgary (5) - A resurging Blackhawks with a young cast against a scrappy but battered veteran Flames squad. If they were healthy I'd be sorely pressed not to take the experience of the Flames but the injuries, especially in the Flames defense compell me to say youth triumphs. 'Hawks in 6.

The East

Boston (1) vs Montreal (8) - The ghosts of Original 6 match ups of the past wiegh heavily on Montreal's side... unfortunately for them, there are no such things as ghosts. Montreal may lead the all time playoff match ups 24-7 over the Bruins but this 32nd installment heavily favours the Boys from Beantown. Boston is a complete team, Montreal is an organization in disarray (which seems strange to see from the Habs). Bruins in 5

Washington (2) vs New York Rangers (7) - The mismatch of the round. A struggling club lucky to make the playoffs against another of the new generation powerhouses. This series can be summed up in one sentence: Ovechkin knows how to raise the puck over Lundquist. The real question is can Sean Avery keep his stupidity under wraps and I say not any longer: the stress of the playoffs will see him revert to his true form and he'll need his mates to be sharp against that Washington powerplay. Caps in 5*

New Jersey (3) vs Carolina (6) - An interesting match up of teams who have championships not too far in their pasts but in the NHL at this time of year one position on the ice dominates all others and though he was hurt a lot this year, Martin Brodeur is still the King of the Crease and will outperform Cam Ward. Devils in 6

Pittsburgh (4) vs Philadelphia (5) - the Battle Of Pennsylvania (Cold War Edition). The Flyers seemed like a team struggling to find an identity to me, the Penguins have rediscovered theirs and are on a roll. Sorry Flyer fans but your boys are gonna be bounced hard and fast by Sid, Malkin and Co. Pens in 5.

* I never predict sweeps or this could be one

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Boston over Montreal in 6 - Pitts. over Philly in 6 - Washington over Rangers in 6-
Carolina over N. Jersey in 7

Anaheim over San Jose in 6 - Detroit over Columbus in 5 - Chicago over Calg. in 5
Vancouver over St. Louis in 7 (overtime).

canucks are my team, and that is the
only reason I give them the edge. St. Louis are a very tough team right now and
don't think Canucks will have any easy wins at all. Maybe Luongo will outplay Mason.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Boston over Montreal in 6 - Pitts. over Philly in 6 - Washington over Rangers in 6-

Anaheim over San Jose in 6 - Detroit over Columbus in 5 - Chicago over Calg. in 5

don't think Canucks will have any easy wins at all. Maybe Luongo will outplay Mason.

Canucks will take them in 6 partly due to home ice advantage- trust me talloola:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I lost interest in hockey when it became the game of goons, by goons and for goons, when the Philadelphia Bullies debased the Stanley Cup by winning it under the greatest goon of all times, Fred Shero. The years were 1974 and 1975.

Since then the League expanded, got deluted and got more and more violence oriented and less and less mindful of skill, talent and execution.

And someone PLEASE, tell me, how can a League with six divisions and thirty teams can - in any normal way of thinking - have SIXTEEN teams in the playoffs, some with negative win/loss record?

Is there nobody who finds it ridiculous that the hockey play-offs are still going on when there are talks about the Baseball All Star Game, in the middle of Summer?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I lost interest in hockey when it became the game of goons, by goons and for goons, when the Philadelphia Bullies debased the Stanley Cup by winning it under the greatest goon of all times, Fred Shero. The years were 1974 and 1975.

Since then the League expanded, got deluted and got more and more violence oriented and less and less mindful of skill, talent and execution.

And someone PLEASE, tell me, how can a League with six divisions and thirty teams can - in any normal way of thinking - have SIXTEEN teams in the playoffs, some with negative win/loss record?

Is there nobody who finds it ridiculous that the hockey play-offs are still going on when there are talks about the Baseball All Star Game, in the middle of Summer?

You're in the wrong thread, I'm sure there are lots of baseball threads around
somewhere, for people who care, we are hockey people on this thread, and
we love what we talk about, we love our hockey, no more goons, good fast
high intensity hockey, playoff time, very exciting for all of us, obviously
not you. See ya.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
talloola, I leave when I am told in no uncertain terms that I am not wanted. I understand.

So, like you say, see ya.

Just on thing: who is that on the beach with you? Chocolate lab or Chessie?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC

I have not had much time to watch too many games this year but those I have watched left me wondering..

We all know the series are a new season so consider this a new start..

The Habs games were either hot and cold and with this bunch of guys it's been a hit and miss season for sure.. Yah Boston has been great but when Montreal was firing on all cylendars man what great games they had..
Boston over Montreal in 7 but this could be the upset of the playoffs..

Vancouver has also seen a weird season of the games I caught. So I will say..
Vancouver over St. Louis in 7 only due to Luongo.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
talloola, I leave when I am told in no uncertain terms that I am not wanted. I understand.

So, like you say, see ya.

Just on thing: who is that on the beach with you? Chocolate lab or Chessie?

My very handsome chocolate lab 'Joe', I used to breed labs, and he was the first
born of the last litter, 10 years ago. I showed them in the dog shows and they
earned their hunting titles as well. I took the picture, it is my husband on the
beach with him.
Joe was the only male in a litter of 9. He was actually spoken for, sight unseen,
no deposit, and when I saw him, for the first few days, I changed my mind, and wouldn't let him go, and very happy I did that.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't really get too up or too down over playoff hockey, but I do enjoy watching
the good hockey that we see during playoff time.
Who wins and who loses isn't that important to me, but the quality of hockey that
is played is what I enjoy.
I'm looking forward to 'all' of the playoffs, including canucks, hope they do well, so
that the fans and media don't trash them all summer, because that seems to be
the 'drill', if they go down in the first round, irrespective of 'how' it happens, they
will be dead meat for months.
If they are defeated by St. Louis, but both teams play excellent hockey, and games are close, they will have nothing to be ashamed of.
I wish 'all' of the players in the playoffs 'well', and hope they have fun and take the
time to 'enjoy' the experience, and from what I hear over the years from interviews,
they don't forget anything about any of the games they play in, win or lose.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
today - Boston/Carolina @ 4:00 p.m.
Detroit/anaheim @ 7:00 p.m.

Carolina still leads this series 3-2, so boston is facing elmination tonight.

Detroit leads anaheim 3-2, so anaheim is facing elimination.

No idea in the carolina series, bit if boston play like they did in the last game, carolina will
not win this one.
Detroit seems to be on a mission now, I will be surprised if anaheim pull it off.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
In the first round, I was 7 for 8 with my picks (Never dreamed Anaheim would beat San Jose). In this round, I'm wrong on the one series so far.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Game 7 in boston will be very exciting, either team will not go out easy.

Franzen finally put detroit on the board late in the game, but detroit lost
2-1 to anaheim, so back to detroit for game 7, who knows.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Game 7 in boston will be very exciting, either team will not go out easy.

Franzen finally put detroit on the board late in the game, but detroit lost
2-1 to anaheim, so back to detroit for game 7, who knows.

Boston has all the momentum heading into game 7. I think Boston will take it.

I think that Detroit will pull it out, just due to the fact that they are playing at home.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
K-W. Cyotes..

Chicago - Vancouver are my favorites teams ..I had to go Canadian and pick Vancouver like a true Canadian ..Good series ..Chicago is goin to the cup...!With help off Vancouver momentum!!..:)....Go Chicago!

......Come on Mr. Bettman ..Canada needs another nhl team...K-W Coyotes..

For Canadians/ontarians/kw'ers/Jim Balsilliens.

Go K-W Coyotes....Just what we need...We'll even build a new Areana!

;-):lol:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I am so lost :p

I have a feeling Washington will come out on top tonight: home game for the Caps, no or at best limping Gonchar for the Pens... but with the way everyone is playing, who knows? I just hope all the Crosby haters take note of Sid's performance in the post season: he's been the most consistent of any player in the post season thus far and has played with a lot of energy even when he hasn't scored. I'm not a big fan of his per se but I get a little irked when people crap all over a young guy like so many have been on him this year.

Boston and Carolina, which 'Canes team will show up in game 7? Which Bruins club? They've both shown split personalities in this series. I thought the Bruins were done but they never said die.

Detroit and Anaheim: I knew this one would be tight, and I think the Wings will win at home (but I'm cheering for the Ducks :p).

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Boston has all the momentum heading into game 7. I think Boston will take it.

I think that Detroit will pull it out, just due to the fact that they are playing at home.

Although carolina badly outshot boston, and thomas saved the day, but yes,
in boston, they will probably pull it off.

If Detroit lose in detroit, I will be sad, especially who they could lose to.