have you changed alliances ?

mapleleafs67

Electoral Member
Jul 7, 2007
soon chicago
spent my first nine years growing up a oiler fan then when most of the team was disbanded meaning gretzsky,messier and fuhr left i too stopped cheering for them.i fell out of love with hockey for so long after that but now i love watching oveckin and his goals

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I kinda figured by your handle you weren't much of a hockey fan...at least not a knowledgeable one.

For my part, I pick my team based on the players. I like Jersey, Phoenix and Chicago this year.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
When I was a young man, I voted NDP.....then my brain stem grew and became completely attached, and I've voted right ever since. And I do mean right. :)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've never been a hockey fan. But I have to admit to being a bit in awe of certain greats. My husband's career involvement with one of Canada's legends has given me a bit of a soft spot for the Flames, even if it's just a smidge that rubbed off from hubby. :lol:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
When I was a young man, I voted NDP.....then my brain stem grew and became completely attached, and I've voted right ever since. And I do mean right. :)

Colpy, you do realize he is talking about which hockey team you root for, don't you?:p:lol::p

I've been a Maple Leaf fan for as long as I started watching hockey. I am not a bandwagon jumper, so I will root for them no matter how they do in the standings.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Colpy, you do realize he is talking about which hockey team you root for, don't you?:p:lol::p

I've been a Maple Leaf fan for as long as I started watching hockey. I am not a bandwagon jumper, so I will root for them no matter how they do in the standings.

Being a Leafs fan and not being able to change is like looking at a horrible...horrible car crash and not being able to look away.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I'll go along with that, I too voted N.D.P. for about 30 years, but now only when the best candidate in my constituency is N.D.P. I basically vote for the man/woman ahead of the party. As far as Liberals vs. Conservatives go, it's a dead heat. ALL political parties are rife with corruption.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The title of the thread wasn't specific, so I think Colpy (understandably) just took it in general terms. Actually hockey can get pretty political too.....:lol::lol::lol:

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Having grown up in Montreal it broke my fathers heart for me to be a Canucks fan.. I guess it was only a sign on times to come. But in all honesty one could never take out the Habs out of a Montreal kid at any cost even if it is his second choice as a team. But changing team, never.. Losing interest some seasons perhaps..

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Yeah (hangs head) I did.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I changed my alliances from the Toronto Maple Leafs to NO HOCKEY WHATSOEVER, on 1974-75 when the Philadelphia Bullies won the Stanley Cup with no hockey skills but with sheer brutality.

Even today, 34 years later, it is obvious, that hockey is a game of goons, by goons, for goons.

Channel surf on any given Hockey Night In Canada. It is a given that within ten minutes in any hockey game, there will be fight. Who needs that. Might as well watch WWE.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I changed my alliances from the Toronto Maple Leafs to NO HOCKEY WHATSOEVER, on 1974-75 when the Philadelphia Bullies won the Stanley Cup with no hockey skills but with sheer brutality.

Even today, 34 years later, it is obvious, that hockey is a game of goons, by goons, for goons.

Channel surf on any given Hockey Night In Canada. It is a given that within ten minutes in any hockey game, there will be fight. Who needs that. Might as well watch WWE.

That's the spirit, Y.J. :lol::lol::lol:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The New York Islanders won my allegiance in my early years by helping me win a $1 bet with a friend of my uncle (my aunt held the wager). I've been a fan ever since. It didn't hurt that it was just going into their heyday with a powerhouse team with Mike Bossy, Billy Smith, Denis Potvin, Brian Trottier and others. They gave me a lot of reason to cheer whenever I could watch them (which was limited in rural Alberta with no satellite TV or cable :p ). Some of the residue was that I hated the Oilers for taking the Stanley Cup from my Islanders, thus I became automatically sympathetic to anyone against the Oilers and by extension (because of the rivalry in the 80s) I supported Calgary and still like to see the Flames do well.

I still cheer for my Islanders but shake my head at some of the things that have gone on down on Long Island with the revolving door int he GM and coaching offices. I hope Garth Snow can pick it up and rebuild them to a contender once again.

I tend to admire a lot of players and admire the way some teams play: I like hard hitting physical teams. I like the combination of talents in Pittsburgh and Washington. I love the way guys like Ryan Getzlaf in Anaheim or Phil Kessel in Boston play and Chicago looks interesting in the talent they're building. At the same time I've also developed an organizational dislike for some teams:

- the Rangers for their habbit of trying to buy performance by snapping up every free agent they can. Being an Islander fan doesn't help me love them either.
- the Maple Laughs for the media attention they demand with such a pitiful record of performance (they haven't won a Stanley Cup and barely been in contention most of the 40 years I've been alive for crying out loud and people act like they're a respectable franchise)
- the Habs for the schizophrenic franco-xenophobic attitude of the media and fanbase (and yeah for winning so darned of often: its so hard to argue with Habs fans when they start bragging about the number of Stanley Cups they've won)

Some people question my dislike of Canadian teams but the way I view it, how Canadian are the Kostitsyns, Kovalev, Koivu, Sundin, etc? I say what about guys like Stevie Y or Joe Sakic, and so many other great Canadian stars that played most or all of their careers for teams south of the border? I'll cheer for them instead (especially with guys like Bobby Orr, my old Islander heroes, Mario Lemieux, Bobby Clarke and others in the club)!

I still love to hate the Oilers as well but I felt kind of trapped for a while in the Pocklington ownship years because I didn't want them to move (as the only NHL team that I could go see on all but the rarest occasions) so they had to do well enough to keep them stable. You don't appreciate the speed and skill involved (or the size of some of the guys: I remember the first time I saw how huge Keith Primeau was in person...) unless you see it live. TV coverage is well and good but in person its just so much more...

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Even if the Islanders get the first pick this year, they are still a few years away from being a contender. That team is in dire straits(player wise) and signing Di Pietro to that huge contract was insane. So much cap-space tied up into it, and it looks like he is already going to be injury prone. One of the worse contracts I have ever seen(and I have seen a number of crappy ones being a Leafs fan;-))!8O

At least you are a true fan(like me) where you will root for your team no matter how bad they perform. No bandwagon jumping for us!;-):cool: