Gainey sacks Carbonneau

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
It was quite interesting watching the game with my father yesterday.. My Dad is a BIG Habs a fan and we watched the game together. At the end of the first period it was crazy that they ( Habs did ) took so many penalties. It was a 5 on 3 for almost a full 4 minutes and they were extremely lucky to come out of it without getting scored on.

Even more so they won the game..

It's obvious looking at Carbonneau that he was not in control of the players and did not even argue any calls. It really made me wonder if he cared about what was happening to the team on ice. I mean stick up for the players a bit and show some spine, even if they are in the wrong as some of the calls were a bit iffy..

It will be interesting to see if Gainey can coach any better then Carbo ( as they called him ) in a City that is impossible for hockey :)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It will be interesting to see. The sportwriters are talking about how the players can't use carbonneau for an excuse now. On the other hand Gainey just ran out of excuses too.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I wouldn't be surprised if carboneau and gainey made this decision together, as
carboneau has done all he can for this team, and I think he probably agrees that
someone else should get in there and give it a go.
Gainey has coached them before, and he will do it for the remainder of the season, maybe even next season.
Sure hope he doesn't get sucked in to that old 'cliche' maybe they should sign
Pat Quinn, give me a break, please, because the media will be suggesting it,
because they can't think of anyone else.
Go to your minor league or juniors, and find a young coach ready to take on
an nhl team, who has lots of energy, up to date technical coaching tactics, and
give him a try.
It's really the players who should be giving their heads a shake, they let their
coach down, and didn't 'get it together' for him, they are grown professional
players, not pee wees, and the coach can only do so much, the rest is the
responsibility of the players.
It's always the coach who takes the heat, and get's fired, there's not much one
can do at this stage of the season.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Problem with the Habs is they get stuck on their own ex player list for candidates. Hopefully they don't hire one the 7 recycled coaches named Murray who've never won a thing either.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Problem with the Habs is they get stuck on their own ex player list for candidates. Hopefully they don't hire one the 7 recycled coaches named Murray who've never won a thing either.

Yes, I agree, hope they bring in someone new and fresh and spirited, I wonder
how Ted Nolan would do, but he is an 'indian', so probably too much racism
for that, not sure how Montreal fans would take to a move like that.:-|I liked him with the Islanders, but he didn't get along with the manager, forget his name, the ex goalie, so he was fired, and the islanders
have been useless ever since, he wasn't given enough time to make any changes.
Nolan is a real 'players' coach, they always like him a lot.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I heard a rumour today that 'Don Lever' could be the next habs coach, I wonder.
I think he has been coaching in the minors for years, so maybe he is ready.
He was a good canuck, long ago, in the baby years.