Poor camera angles for goals in NHL

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I'm watching hockey games and most of the time when a goal is scored, I don't see the whole net when the puck goes in. You see the shooter, the puck whiz by the goalie, but not the whole net to get a more complete view of the goal. They always block off half the net so I can't see where the puck ends up. I find it quite irritating.

Then they use the goalie cam. Probably the most useless piece of electronic equipment ever.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Unfortunately this was set up for viewers south of the border. Angles are what we want to see all they want is to see the puck in the net.

Oh well to each his own.

rgs

scratch

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Not sure exactly what you mean when you say you want to see the puck go in the
net. The game is tremendously fast, the camera people have to follow the play,
we want to see the play being set up, the shooter shoot the puck, and 90% of the
time you can see the twine bulge, or see the puck go past the goalie.
They do show different angles after the goal, to show us just how the puck went
in the net, but I want to see everything, and, unless you have bad eyes, if you know the game well, and can follow the play you can see the goal.
As we have become older, we realized we needed a 'bigger' tv, which we have now,
a 52" hd, and we don't miss anything, the game is right in front of us, large, and
sharp, and easy to follow, but of course there will be some goals that are a puzzle,
scrambles in front of the net, or a puck under the goalie, and no one, not even
the goalie is sure where the puck is, that can't be helped.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Lady of the Island,

What you have said is true.

New rules are terrible.

Game not what I played.

Now need big screen to see what happened?

Even players do not like how open the game has become....and for what....just to make more money.

Very sad in my opinion.

Don't bother to watch anymore (what used to be a game is just fanciful entertainment) because it's not REAL hockey!

scratch

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
We need the big tv because our eyes aren't what they used to be, and that puck
seemed to have become smaller, not so, it is our eyes.
I love the new hockey, watched the old hockey since I was a kid, clutching,grabbing, the extremely talented players were hung onto, hooked all the
time, and the smaller player couldn't play in the league, (they could back in the 40's
and 50's), but the game became much more violant and dirty after that, and the
smaller players were just mugged and thrown all over the place. The game in
the 40's and 50's was slower than it is now, and if lafleur and all others like him
could play in our game now, as they did then, they would be slow, and they
wouldn't have room to do what they used to do. Lafleur was and is still my alltime
favourite player, but I have to see things as they are, without blinders on, and
if you asked Guy, I'm sure he would say the same. There were some very good
skaters then, but the game was slower, and the overall teams were slower.
It just makes sense, as the equipment, coaching, fitness, diet and general
professional approach to the game is much better, and if those players back then
had the same coaching as a kid, all the way up, they would be just as fast and
talented as todays players, the league has far more 'top' players now. Lafleur
used to smoke a package of cigarettes waiting for the game to start, during
the afternoon of a game.
There are no goons in the game now, as if you want to play you have to know how, those goons
couldn't play worth a damn, the game now is faster than it has ever been, as a
team, if you can't skate, you don't play, and I love that, because skating is the first
talent of hockey, and everything comes after that, and some of the plays that are
being made now, at a very high speed, are amazing.
I agree, they should 'tinker' with the hooking rule, as, I think a player should not
be penalized with 'hooking', unless he has actually interferred with the movement or puck handling of the player he is checking.
I also don't like the penalty for shooting the puck over the glass, as many of those
happen when a team is one player short, which leads to a 2 man advantage for
other team. Not sure how to change that rule, but I don't like it how it is now.
Don't know why you won't watch the game now, maybe you liked clutching, grabbing, hooking, holding a player when the puck isn't there, goons and poor
players on every team, not me, I'm glad those aspects of the game are gone.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
You had to have actually played the game, on the ice, hot or cold, injuries were walked off, now because they are so highly paid, they do not walk it off, they take time off, that is not what the game is and yes, the scrums, the fights, the holding ,the no helmets, the nails in in the elbow and knee pads, why not if not caught.

It is now a Hollywood production for south of the border consumption.

It is sick and it is sad that OUR game AS it should be played BY OUR RULES has been hijacked for another forum for the sake of the dollar.

Not worth the time for a bunch of sissies padded and protected to the hilt with the game now tilted in favour of the offensive part of the game.

Not my game.

Not our game.

Got sucked in again.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Your opinion is very much the minority, but you're entitled to it, and we will just have to agree to disagree.
It is the smart thing to do, by taking care of the injuries properly, not letting
concussed players play while they are injured, they didn't even know back then.
everyone knows so much more, that is the progress of time.
I do think they should soften up the shoulder pads, they are dangerous, back then
they played with softer shoulder pads, now they give the opposition concussions
when hit in the head area, don cherry talks about it a lot.
The game is not a game of hanging on and mugging, it is a game of skating and
speed, and the canucks are a perfect example of a balanced game, as Vineault
coaches a very responsiblely defensive game, and offense comes after, so do
detroit and pittsburg, and a few others, the ones who don't coach enough
defense don't do that well, Tampa Bay is a perfect example of that, very talented
offensive players, who are doing nothing, cause the team doesn't play a two
way game.
The game is not offensive only, if that is what you think, you, as you say, are
not watching.
My husband played hockey for years, at a high level, he was asked to try out
with the rangers, (no draft back then), but he wouldn't go, he has always
regretted that, as he was only about 16 at the time, and he had no support
from his family at all, they hated the idea that he played any sports at all.
We, as a family have been involved in hockey forever, my husband coached
our daughters, they played at a high level, our oldest daughter competed in the
east for women's national title.
They were very good, not girlish at all on the ice, very competative.
As far as being knowledgeable about the game, all I can say is this. ' I have never
layed an egg, but I can cook one better than any damn chicken'

OK, I'm off to nanaimo for a drive and 'shop'., now, that's is a sport too.;-)

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
What I mean Tallolla is that they isolate the camera so much on the shooter, while the net and goalie are out of the picture. Someone needs to tell the camera room guys that goals are an important part of hockey.

In the NFL, you always see the football, the catch, and whether his feet are in bounds or not. Always. The NFL, the most successful league in the world has this thoroughly cased. The NHL is still fishing for nickles here. Which league is bigger?

It is a lame excuse to say the game is too fast. They have had decades to practice getting used to this.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The game is much faster, played in a much smaller area, the puck is much smaller
than a football. Football is much easier to follow than hockey, as far as focusing
on the puck/ball. I watch football too, and sure it's real easy to follow the play,
but it's just cause it's football, way out on that big field.
The fact that the game is much bigger has nothing to do with anything, the u.s. has 300 million people, canada has a little more than 30 million.
The u.s. couldn't care less about hockey, with exception to the north east.
The focus isn't just on the shooter, the shooter might have the puck for 2 seconds,
or less, before he either passes or shoots, I don't see the problem at all.

Just have to agree to disagree I guess. Sorry I'm not helpful to you.
don't know what else to say, maybe someone else has some input that might
be more helpful to you.

I don't have any trouble seeing the shots, the goals the passes etc etc, and with
the instant replay, you can see all the detail from other angles, as they do show
that.
Most of the time you can follow the shot from the stick to the goalie, and then
where else it goes from there.
Football is so slow compared to hockey. Set up, throw the ball, or run it, get
knocked down, stop the play, set up again, and on and on, or, a big run down
the field, easy to see.
When the camera is on the shooter, he shoots toward the goal, the camera
follows the shot, it either goes in the net or not, goalie stops, rebound goes
off somewhere else, and camera keeps following, no stopping, continuous
movement, very quickly.

I just ran your question by my husband and we chatted about it for a while, and
he doesn't understand your problem at all, and neither do I, so I guess that's that.
enjoy your football, it's a good game too, although I don't watch nfl, just cfl.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Watching the Winter Classic in Chicago, NBC had no problem in showing very clearly the puck going in the net from the shooter, so the shooter, puck and net are shown.
The NFL does this very well all the time. Small wonder the NFL is huge league and the NHL is run much more poorly.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Watching the Winter Classic in Chicago, NBC had no problem in showing very clearly the puck going in the net from the shooter, so the shooter, puck and net are shown.
The NFL does this very well all the time. Small wonder the NFL is huge league and the NHL is run much more poorly.

a definite re-run

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Sure talloola, the puck is smaller, but the Cdn TV networks have had decades to perfect their skill. Watch sports highlights and because of the scroll bars at the bottom of the screen, you see even less of the puck going into the net.

you need glasses, or a 52" tv like I have, as when I watch sports on my daughter's
tv I have to sit closer.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
"Get some glasses". Hmm, another easy to please TV Canadian watcher. So why does NBC have such good camera angles?

Tip: The cameraman needs to focus on the entire net when a shot occurs. The net doesn't move so they ought to have figured this out to date. Seeing the twinkling of the twine permits the viewer to get a more accurate view of where the shot originated and passed the goalie's pads.