NHL ponders 2 teams in Toronto

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
NHL governors are talking informally about placing a second hockey team in Toronto alongside the Maple Leafs, according to a report in Tuesday's edition of the Globe and Mail.

According to The Globe and Mail, NHL governors have had informal talks about putting a second team in Toronto.
"Why shouldn't we put another team in the best and biggest market in the world?" said one governor, who spoke anonymously with the newspaper.
The governor also confirmed that there have been conversations about Jim Balsillie, co-CEO of Waterloo, Ont.-based Research in Motion Ltd., being rewarded with an expansion team in Toronto after helping to restore financial ballast to the Nashville Predators.
"I've heard this exact scenario," a second governor told the Globe.
In recent years, Balsillie has made attempts to buy the Predators and Pittsburgh Penguins amid speculation he would move the team to the southern Ontario region.
Richard Peddie, president of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, said his organization would not automatically reject efforts to put a second NHL team in Toronto.
''When and if the league brings expansion to the table, we'll listen and decide what is best for hockey,'' Peddie told The Globe and Mail. ''The Maple Leafs would not be hurt one bit. In fact, it would help them. They could make all kinds of money renting the Air Canada Centre to the other team.''

Sympatico/MSN sports.

Wow, Leaf fans could migrate to another team that might actually win if it's owned by a guy like Balsillie.:lol:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
NHL governors are talking informally about placing a second hockey team in Toronto alongside the Maple Leafs, according to a report in Tuesday's edition of the Globe and Mail.

According to The Globe and Mail, NHL governors have had informal talks about putting a second team in Toronto.
"Why shouldn't we put another team in the best and biggest market in the world?" said one governor, who spoke anonymously with the newspaper.
The governor also confirmed that there have been conversations about Jim Balsillie, co-CEO of Waterloo, Ont.-based Research in Motion Ltd., being rewarded with an expansion team in Toronto after helping to restore financial ballast to the Nashville Predators.
"I've heard this exact scenario," a second governor told the Globe.
In recent years, Balsillie has made attempts to buy the Predators and Pittsburgh Penguins amid speculation he would move the team to the southern Ontario region.
Richard Peddie, president of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, said his organization would not automatically reject efforts to put a second NHL team in Toronto.
''When and if the league brings expansion to the table, we'll listen and decide what is best for hockey,'' Peddie told The Globe and Mail. ''The Maple Leafs would not be hurt one bit. In fact, it would help them. They could make all kinds of money renting the Air Canada Centre to the other team.''

Sympatico/MSN sports.

Wow, Leaf fans could migrate to another team that might actually win if it's owned by a guy like Balsillie.:lol:

Help has to come from somewhere for the Leafs!

scratch

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Back in the days when Vancouver was trying to get an NHL franchise, Toronto blocked them every chance they had. We had the market and we were building the stadium and Toronto blocked us for about four years

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
juan, the difference here is that the new team would be playing in the Air Canada Center. The Leaf organization would get rent, 50% of the concession take, boxes etc. etc. They see dollar signs...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
juan, the difference here is that the new team would be playing in the Air Canada Center. The Leaf organization would get rent, 50% of the concession take, boxes etc. etc. They see dollar signs...

One of Toronto's problems is similar to Vancouver's. The Stadium will be filled whether they win or lose. Vancouver can lose five in a row and people still flock to see them.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Unfortunately its the big corporations that puts butts in the seats. You are right, they don't care if the laffs win or lose. The true fans can't afford to take their family there anyway. The best deal in town is the Marlies.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Toronto Rock, professional lacrosse team is always good to watch. The AC gets close to packed, tickets are cheap and the beer is plentiful.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Unfortunately its the big corporations that puts butts in the seats. You are right, they don't care if the laffs win or lose. The true fans can't afford to take their family there anyway. The best deal in town is the Marlies.

That is the case in TO for sure but not in Montreal, the Bell center is always rockin while the lower seats at the ACC are empty because business folks are down at the sushi bar watching the game on TV. I have been to a few games in the platinum boxes (a friend of mine has one) and I just could not understand why these dudes didn't want to get out and watch the game.:roll:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It might be good business but the rest of country won't be interested in the Toronto Clippers.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
oooh direct hit

You sank my battleship!:lol:

I think this may turn out well for both teams. Realizing that people are going to a team in the city with ownership that actually cares about more than just filling up the pockets of the teacher's union people, they just might actually do something to improve the Leafs.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

I would imagine Balsillie would attempt to build his own arena. If so, I would hope it would knock that smug little bugger off his high horse(the Maple Leaf Entertainment fellow).;-)

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I don't understand why they don't bring back the Winnipeg Jets? The city has doubled in population, and I believe I read about a year and half ago that Bettman had stated that Winterpeg was on the short list for the next relocation.

Eff Toronto. Bring back the Jets!!! p/u where they left off. Same jerseys and all!

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I don't understand why they don't bring back the Winnipeg Jets? The city has doubled in population, and I believe I read about a year and half ago that Bettman had stated that Winterpeg was on the short list for the next relocation.

Eff Toronto. Bring back the Jets!!! p/u where they left off. Same jerseys and all!

I see it as an alternative.

scratch

NorthernSun

Electoral Member
Nov 20, 2008
Sydney, NS
Winnipeg should be first in line for a team. A 16k seat arena is small, but they could fill it every night and with how much beer Canadians drink they would make a killing too. Maybe they could make a team in Hamilton or area. If they made a new Toronto team maybe they could have one good team.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Winnipeg should be first in line for a team. A 16k seat arena is small, but they could fill it every night and with how much beer Canadians drink they would make a killing too. Maybe they could make a team in Hamilton or area. If they made a new Toronto team maybe they could have one good team.

I remember being quite angry with winnipeg when they let their 'jets' go, as
no one would step up with the money to support them, so how do you think
anyone would ever step up now, as it is triple what it was then. Didn't they
see what a priviledge it was to have an nhl team in their city?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Another team in TO? How about Hamilton or London? Soon, the sunbelt teams will melt and Ont. will get more teams, yay!!!!!!!!

I don't care where they go, in canada, just get them back here where they belong.
I also would like to see an nhl team in seattle, as that would put teams right
down the west coast, well, at least as far as l.a.