Bad NHL hockey camera angles for goals

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Do you ever notice watching hockey that the camera does not show the shooter, the puck and the entire net for a goal. Half of the net is blocked out. The focus always seems on the shooter not the goal and the net. I find this irritating.

In the NBA you always see the net when the player scores a basket. In the NFL you always see touchdowns and fumbles very clearly too.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
they should RIDF the puck and sensor the net and the rink. It would be like watching pong, except more paddles

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Stick a camera on the puck... problem solved.

I imagine fans would be interested in seeing ground level action constantly spinning in a 360 degree movement to make them all puke.

But for the most part, I see everything that needs to be seen. They have a camera in the net, above the net and several cameras all around the rink/nets to cover the action.... if you still miss the action with all that, then someone needs to fire some camera men.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Soccer does the same thing, the focus of the camera is too tight for goals. Why this intense focus on the little black puck? There is a shooter, goalie and net to see at the same time. You know, multiwatching.

Also, stop showing the coach after a goal. This cult of staring at the coach's head is getting to me.

Also, watching a sport at ground level feels very realistic. I like it. If they can find a way to reduce constantly changing camera angles, I would go for it. That's what we hope the internet will do, viewers will be able to pick and choose what camera angles we can watch.

Like at the Olympics, being able to pick what sports we can watch would be awesome. I hate, jude, diving, and a dozen other sports. But no, big brother rules here.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Do you ever notice watching hockey that the camera does not show the shooter, the puck and the entire net for a goal. Half of the net is blocked out. The focus always seems on the shooter not the goal and the net. I find this irritating.

In the NBA you always see the net when the player scores a basket. In the NFL you always see touchdowns and fumbles very clearly too.

Hockey is played at a very high speed, and many times the puck does not reach the net when shot, it can go to various different places, blocked, too high, crooked,, it must
be a very trained eye for the one using the cameras. I see the net, the shooter and the
puck on many shots, but it would be impossible to do it with every shot, and whatever you miss, is usually shown on instant replay anyway, which usually satisfies any doubt
as to what 'just' happened.
What they do have to figure out is, proving if the puck ever crossed the line when the
goalie is covering it when the whistle blows, and the replay feature doesn't prove anything, so, there is still some doubt, BUT it is still much better than before, when it
was totally dependent on the referee's judgement.
Maybe they can bury a camera in the ice below the goal line to look up from under the
ice, is that possible?:idea:, then, in slow motion, one could see if the puck, at any time,
crossed the goal line.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
Bad angles for bad hockey

circa 1972 good hockey was played in these here parts
Since then the game has become ridiculous

try bull fighting or seal clubbing instead

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Bad angles for bad hockey

circa 1972 good hockey was played in these here parts
Since then the game has become ridiculous

try bull fighting or seal clubbing instead

The hockey/hockey players playing today is much better in all ways than it was
in l972,(I was there, watched it all), as all sports have improved over the years, and I'm sure bull fighting
and seal clubbing has improved as well, those poor little seals must be dying in
bigger numbers than ever before.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
talloota, it is quite predictable where the puck is going to go. It is a matter of angles and experience. The focus is too tight on the puck itself. All they need to do is pull back and that will improve hockey viewing.

On some games they have a camera above the goalie and you can see very clearly whether a goal goes in or not. But only some arenas have this camera placement.

When it comes to camera shots, the NHL is still in the bush leagues. When Chris Pronger kicked the ankle of Jarkko Ruutu this year, a new camera angle showed up that was clearer than the earlier fuzzy shots.

Basically, the NHL still needs to learn customer service.