Montreal hockey fans run wild

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Montreal hockey fans run wild TheStar.com - Canada - Montreal hockey fans run wild
}

PETER MCCABE/THE CANADIAN PRESS
A burned out police cruiser sits in downtown Montreal as violence erupted following the Montreal Canadiens' elimination of the Boston Bruins, April 21, 2008.

April 22, 2008
Sidhartha Banerjee
THE CANADIAN PRESS

MONTREAL – Street celebrations following the Montreal Canadiens seventh-game victory over the Boston Bruins turned violent Monday night after vandals torched and smashed more than a dozen police vehicles and damaged local businesses.
Police spokesman Const. Laurent Gingras said at least 13 people were detained, including three minors – one 14-year-old and two 17-year-olds. They will face charges including break-and-enter, mischief against a police vehicle, assault against a police officer and numerous municipal bylaw violations, he said.
The riot started after a massive crowd celebrating the Canadiens victory started to disperse just before midnight.
Jean-Francois Hotte said he was taking part in the celebrations when the incident degenerated quickly as police started chasing people.
"One minute we were all hanging out and celebrating and then all hell broke out," said Hotte, who watched as a Foot Locker store was ransacked by looters. A liquor store was also hit.
"It didn't take five minutes before everyone was up on Ste-Catherine Street. It went really fast."
While the initial celebration was relatively peaceful, small groups milled around on several street corners even as riot police surrounded burning vehicles to allow firefighters to douse flames.
Gingras said 16 police cars were damaged and had to be towed.
At least five vehicles were torched and possibly a sixth, Gingras said, adding that an unknown number of businesses were also vandalized.
Television helicopter footage showed one instance where a pair of vandals on a darkened street set ablaze the interior of a damaged, abandoned police car while a third person recorded the act with his cellular telephone. A handful of others stood by watching.
Earlier in the evening, fans held vigil outside the Bell Centre. They were jubilant, erupting into cheers for every good play by their heroes inside.
"A great game, well played, total control," said Sebastien Boulet. "I've got a really good feeling about this team".
Arjun Aravinthan and hundreds of others broke into a spontaneous ``25" chant. The Canadiens have won 24 Stanley Cups in their history.
"We're gonna get it this year, this is our year," said Aravinthan, who claims to be a Habs fan since exiting his mother's womb.
Police spokeswoman Const. Anie Lemieux said "fortunately no one seems to have been injured". She said police "had things thrown at them".
Montrealer Ava Ball was advised by police to keep her car underground as the tension continued to escalate.
"I had to take my car back into the underground because police advised me they'd trash my car," Ball said.
"I had to go back and wait it out to go home," she added, as she debated whether it was safe to leave as the situation appeared to calm down around 1:30 a.m.
Police were on edge as they patrolled in helmets and with batons.
"It's not how you'd want the night to end," Ball said.
"I think we're all a bit sad about the result of the evening considering we had such a tremendous win."
Gingras said police has the situation under control. The burnt-out shells of at least five Montreal police cars littered the city's downtown early Tuesday morning.
"It's more calm now but we're still patrolling Ste-Catherine Street," Gingras said just after 3 a.m.
Montreal recently had a spate of so-called anarchist violence, including the torching of six police cars in a station parking lot in March.

http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/416962

As a Habs fan I'm ashamed of these non-hockey fans ruining a great victory.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Why a bunch of morons must ruin a fun and thrilling moment for Montreal is beyond my understanding. They should be jailed for stupidity.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The government can be pilfering thieves, food and energy prices can be soaring, NAFTA, the North American Union, troops dying over seas, etc... and what do we have a riot over? Hockey!?!

Yep, it's Canada, the pathetic.

Anyone else turn their AC on when there is still snow on the ground? I found myself doing that the other day. It was a blistering +9c out and I couldn't stand it, my car felt too warm inside damn it! :-?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Now there's a group they should have used tasers on. I saw a bit of it on the tube last night: They were breaking store windows, fire bombing cars, & looting. Some were caught and some challenged police and walked away. These guys out-numbered the police who weren't prepared for this at all.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Now there's a group they should have used tasers on. I saw a bit of it on the tube last night: They were breaking store windows, fire bombing cars, & looting. Some were caught and some challenged police and walked away. These guys out-numbered the police who weren't prepared for this at all.

Simply pathetic. There was a big riot when the Habs won the cup back in the 90s. I simply cannot understand what drives these lunatics to destructive behavior... especially when the home team won!!!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It's a stark contrast to the rough and redneck west, where the red mile in Calgary erupted into a replica of Mardi Gras during their playoff run, rather than rioting.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Scott Free

You don't have to "think" to watch hockey and listening to Rock-em-Sock em- Cherry tells you something about the mentality at work.

Pathetic is the absolute right word!

johai

Time Out
Mar 23, 2008
Canada - Golden Triangle
It's a stark contrast to the rough and redneck west, where the red mile in Calgary erupted into a replica of Mardi Gras during their playoff run, rather than rioting.

Passion for the Habs is in Montrealer's blood. When the "Rocket" was suspended by Campbell, they rioted.The last time that they won the Cup they rioted. Cheap beer, extreme passion and less than level headedness will do that.
But no-one can condone what happened. People who are normally civilized and laid back lost it.
I think that it was disgraceful and it made me ashamed.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Durka

No you've got me all wrong Durka....I'm a realist. When bloody mayhem on the ice is hailed as the "nature" of a sport (as Cherry champions) the skill and athleticism of the players is lost amid the bloodlust. We may as well be watching bull-fighting and cock-fighting when our appetites for violence overwhelms our admiration for skilled play. When you watch parents of little-league hockey and baseball screaming for hard hitting and attacking the other kids...that's a lasting image, that has nothing to do with me being a bitter old man.

When we lionize Dennis Rodman or "goons" in any sport, we're not watching the game or the race for the enjoyment of seeing how highly skilled professionals master a difficult endeavor we're watching gladiators vie for laurels and fat contracts based on their facility to inflict harm.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Durka

No you've got me all wrong Durka....I'm a realist. When bloody mayhem on the ice is hailed as the "nature" of a sport (as Cherry champions) the skill and athleticism of the players is lost amid the bloodlust. We may as well be watching bull-fighting and cock-fighting when our appetites for violence overwhelms our admiration for skilled play. When you watch parents of little-league hockey and baseball screaming for hard hitting and attacking the other kids...that's a lasting image, that has nothing to do with me being a bitter old man.

When we lionize Dennis Rodman or "goons" in any sport, we're not watching the game or the race for the enjoyment of seeing how highly skilled professionals master a difficult endeavor we're watching gladiators vie for laurels and fat contracts based on their facility to inflict harm.

Mikey, hockey still has it's skill and athleticism (Crosby, Marlkin, Ovechkin etc) and the amount of fighting in the game has diminished to the point where an enforcer is no longer really needed. Mikey, sports generally are competitive. I played hockey from age 5 to 18, I cannot recall parents urging their kids to "attack" other players. I'm sure it happens but it's not representative of the average hockey parents.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Durka

I've watched in local arenas around where I live...taken kids to play and practice...mothers and fathers yelling and cursing their enthusiasm for brutality. Now this is in little communities like Strathroy and Parkhill, picturesque towns and villages where life moves at a fairly slow but steady pace.... If I were to drop in at a rink in Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver or Winnipeg....you're suggesting that my experience isn't "normal"?

I remember Elmer Vasco and Tiger Williams, Dave Keon and Frank Mahovalich (god my spelling sucks..) perhaps your modern colliseums are different, but they are none the less gladiator colleges. Wasn't there some fellow "Moore" who had his neck broken ...a while back...isn't there an on-going debate about how much "violence" is acceptable in junior and minor hockey..?

Why is it that the same behavior that wouldn't be tolerated in the street is given a pass in an arena?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'd have to agree with Durka. I played hockey for almost as long and coached hockey for almost twenty years. Even the commercial leagues are cleaning up their act and fighting is more of an individual thing rather than a general policy. In the NHL, some American owners think fighting sells tickets so there will always be a bit of it going on but people are gradually seeing that hockey skill is better to watch than a couple guys struggling and sweating to beat each other on the ice.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I can't speak for the arena's where you have seen this Mikey, but there is always an idiot parents or two at any event, be it sports, academics, anything competitive.

Mikey, would you prefer that the game be pacified so it resembles something like lawn bowling? Hockey is a rough sport and it always has been. Moore having his neck broken when an unfortunate incident due to Bertuzzi being a hot head. Now, how many times can you recall something like that happening Mikey?

Mikey, were you at the leafs game in 1933 when Eddy Shore nearly killed Ace Baily? ;)

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Juan

Then I stand corrected. Do you think there's any possibility that steroids are used in hockey?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Durka

Nope wasn't there, and I've never played hockey (well road hockey doesn't count...) so all my time in an arena was as an observer...dropping kids off and picking kids up...so yes it's possible I hit the day when mom and dad neanderthal where there....

I have played just about every other sport that didn't involve ice however and I'd like to understand when the last time was that somone like Arnold Palmer or Tiger Woods checked some opponent into a sand trap.... I had a football coach who called for breaking the legs of the other teams quarter back and roughing up anyone who was tipping the balance...in the other teams favor.... I frequently challenged teamates to simply play the game with as much focus on the skills and athleticism as the individual could bring to bear on the situation. I was a left end and big for my age but my efforts were to get clear for that pass and run that little pumpkin into the end zone...not to dislocate another players shoulder....

If the focus and emphasis in sports today is skills and brutality is frowned upon we're all winners and can expect better entertainment.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Juan

Then I stand corrected. Do you think there's any possibility that steroids are used in hockey?

I'm sure there has been the odd player to have used steroids, not to the extent you see in baseball and football though. The NHL has a pretty rigorous drug testing policy in comparison to other pro sports.

http://www.nhlpa.com/PerformanceEnhancing/index.asp

TESTING PROCEDURES:
Following their orientation session on the program, every NHL player will be subject to up to three "no-notice" tests from the start of training camp through the end of the Regular Season. Testing is conducted as follows: 10 teams will be subject to one no-notice test, 10 teams will be subject to two no-notice tests and 10 teams will be subject to three no-notice tests.

SAMPLE-COLLECTING AUTHORITY: Comprehensive Drug Testing, Long Beach California
TEST LABORATORY: INRS-Institute Armand-Frappier, Laval Quebec
DISCIPLINARY PENALTIES:
  • Positive tests for performance-enhancing substances will result in mandatory discipline as follows:
    • For the first positive test, a 20-game suspension without pay and mandatory referral to the NHLPA/NHL Substance Abuse & Behavioral Health Program for evaluation, education and possible treatment.
    • For the second positive test, a 60-game suspension without pay.
    • For the third positive test, a permanent suspension. A player receiving a third positive test and a permanent suspension from play in the League will, however, be eligible to apply for reinstatement after two years. The application would be considered by the Committee.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Mikey

Golf is not exactly a contact sport. Do you think soccer is all dainty little passes and no violence? What about football? I once heard an offensive lineman say that if one of his hits took a players head off it would be okay if it was a good, clean, hit.

In my mind the speed and skills of hockey are bigger than the violence. It is the fastest game in the world and the best game to watch.