Senators vs Penguins

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Sheesh....too much information doc.....

Ottawa eye doctor helps enemy Penguins goalie

OTTAWA (AFP) - A Canadian optometrist has unwittingly given the Pittsburgh Penguins an advantage going into their opening National Hockey League playoff game Wednesday against her darling Ottawa Senators.
Optometrist Janet Leduc wrote in a letter to the Penguins' coaching staff some months ago that their goaltender, Marc-Andre Fleury, could improve his game if he ditched his trademark yellow pads.
Accompanying her letter was a graph describing how quickly human eyes identify various colors, she told AFP.
Leduc explained that the human eye spots yellow more easily than any other color and that is why ambulances, fire hydrants and school buses are often painted yellow.
"This means that of everything on the ice, the most visible object is Marc-Andre's goalie pads," she wrote.
"When the play is so fast, this is an advantage to your opponents," she said. "They can easily pick out your goalie, net and where to aim the puck in a split second."
"At your level of competition, a small thing like this can make the difference between a successful or unsuccessful shot on net."
Leduc suggested that Fleury switch to white goalie leg pads to blend in with his background of ice, goal netting and boards.
Recently, he apparently took that advice and with a new white blocker, trapper and pads improved his statistics to a personal record 0.921 save percentage and 2.33 goals against average.
Now the Penguins will open the Stanley Cup playoffs against Leduc's favorite team.
With Ottawa's captain Daniel Alfredson sidelined by injury, the Penguins are heavily favored to defeat the Senators in the NHL Eastern Conference best-of-seven first-round series.
"Isn't that awful?" Leduc said. "But the Senators were way ahead of Pittsburgh in December when I wrote the letter."
Leduc said she is "horrified" by the thought that the Senators could be defeated by the Penguins in the first round of the NHL playoffs because of her meddling, but said she was only looking to help out a young goalie from Quebec.
"I'm a huge Senators fan, but Fleury is a good kid and I just thought he needed someone to tip him off about the yellow pads," she said.
"My advice hasn't made him a better goalie," she added. "But it has made it a bit harder for his opponents to score on him."

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yeah, very interesting, and yes, yellow has had that reputation for many years, so it
makes sense, and now that I think about it, I remember noticing his pads all the time,
as, they were 'YELLOW'.;-), whereas, I probably couldn't tell you the color of anyone elses
pads, even Luongo's, I don't record that info at all, but always did with Fleury's, without
thinking about it.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Yup, saw the Penguins play Ottawa a couple years ago and those pads stand out like a sore thumb. Sure wish the doctor hadn't pointed that out though. As if the Senators needed another disadvantage.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The Senators will not get past the first round. They only have the one true scoring line, their goaltending has been suspect at times, and I do not think they have the chemistry.

That being said, they did better than my Leafs did.;-)

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The Senators will not get past the first round. They only have the one true scoring line, their goaltending has been suspect at times, and I do not think they have the chemistry.

That being said, they did better than my Leafs did.;-)

Haha...yes, they got in ahead of the Leafs...just barely. But like you diehard Leaf fans I always hold out hope. The playoffs sometimes have a way of bringing out the unsung heroes. If only Bell hadn't pulled a fast one on Alfie, huh? :smile:

The excitement in Ottawa last year was wonderful. We nearly sipped from Lord Stanley's cup, but alas....

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If the Pens lose to a hot goalie you could pull a Sask vs McCallum and send a truckload of manure to her driveway.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Haha...yes, they got in ahead of the Leafs...just barely. But like you diehard Leaf fans I always hold out hope. The playoffs sometimes have a way of bringing out the unsung heroes. If only Bell hadn't pulled a fast one on Alfie, huh? :smile:

The excitement in Ottawa last year was wonderful. We nearly sipped from Lord Stanley's cup, but alas....

To be honest, I never saw that play so I do not know if it was bad or not. I have severely curtailed my game-watching as the Leafs have looked so horrible for the majority of the season. I would love it if they signed Lecalvier in the offseason.

I wanted Edmonton to be able to sneak in, but at least Brian Burke won't get the #1 pick because of their play during the tail end of the season.:smile:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
To be honest, I never saw that play so I do not know if it was bad or not. I have severely curtailed my game-watching as the Leafs have looked so horrible for the majority of the season. I would love it if they signed Lecalvier in the offseason.

I wanted Edmonton to be able to sneak in, but at least Brian Burke won't get the #1 pick because of their play during the tail end of the season.:smile:

Me too, I was watching as Edmonton climbed higher and higher, and I was delighted, as it
wasn't too long ago that it looked Anaheim might possibly get number one pick from them, that's the last thing I would want to see Burke get, he's such a conceited person, but a good gen. manager. There is some rumour for awhile now that he will emerge as the g.m. for toronto.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I've been a pen fan since I was 8 years old.... smooth move on helping the other team, HA HA HA HA *Grins evil-like*

Of course if they win against Ottawa, You can't completely base it on different colored pads... that's just short sighted.

And that still doesn't mean the Pens are gonna lay the smack down. For the last several years the pens have kicked arse during the regular season, only to choke it up once they start the playoffs.... like two different teams. It's P'sses me off to no end that this keeps happening, and I won't be suprised if the Pens choke this season too.

But I'll be watching for once.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I've been a pen fan since I was 8 years old.... smooth move on helping the other team, HA HA HA HA *Grins evil-like*

Of course if they win against Ottawa, You can't completely base it on different colored pads... that's just short sighted.

And that still doesn't mean the Pens are gonna lay the smack down. For the last several years the pens have kicked arse during the regular season, only to choke it up once they start the playoffs.... like two different teams. It's P'sses me off to no end that this keeps happening, and I won't be suprised if the Pens choke this season too.

But I'll be watching for once.

Last year was the return to the playoffs for the Pens, they hadn't made it in the last 3 years or so, they also had a very young and inexperienced team at this time last year.

If Fleury plays and well, and Hossa, Malkin & Crosby play their usual game, the Sens will have a tough time containing them. Ottawa also lost 6 of their last 8 games of the season, so hopefully, that will continue here in the playoffs. :p

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I like Crosby's style and he's such an ambassador for the league. He carries that responsibility well for someone so young. But I'm afraid youth and inexperience is not gonna cut it for the unfortunate Penguins this year. Watch for players like Vermette, Volchenkov, Heatley and Spezza to step up their game a notch. Fleury can don fluorescent green pads for all we care.....harharhar...

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I like Crosby's style and he's such an ambassador for the league. He carries that responsibility well for someone so young. But I'm afraid youth and inexperience is not gonna cut it for the unfortunate Penguins this year. Watch for players like Vermette, Volchenkov, Heatley and Spezza to step up their game a notch. Fleury can don fluorescent green pads for all we care.....harharhar...

What about LED Strob Pads? Are those legal? *Flash flash flash.... player with the puck has induced seizure*

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

Sorry to dissapoint you, but the first game is over and, well, it isn't what you want to hear, but it is for me.;-)

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Poor Ottawa, going from looking like they would never lose another game to looking like they'll never win another one.

Ta ra pa pa paaa, I'm lovin' it.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Oh well, one for the Penguins. I missed most of the game. Probably just as well. How did Volchenkov make out after taking that puck to the noggin? JTF you must be a Maple Leafs fan are ya? They're the only fans I know who talk hockey like it's a matter of life or death. Some Canadians take this game way too serious....

GO SENS GO!!!!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Oh well, one for the Penguins. I missed most of the game. Probably just as well. How did Volchenkov make out after taking that puck to the noggin?

Around the begining of the third period (If memory serves correctly) they said he would be out for the rest of the game, had to get some stitches. Slap shot puck to the skull? I'd also say a mild concussion as well. Talk about sh*tty timing.

JTF you must be a Maple Leafs fan are ya? They're the only fans I know who talk hockey like it's a matter of life or death. Some Canadians take this game way too serious....

GO SENS GO!!!!

I don't but it does seem like they figured out their team (The pens that is) they wern't all that ready I guess they said referring to last year. But sounds and looks like they're doing good. Didn't win any faceoffs from what I seen through the game, but got two more goals in the 3rd near the end... kinda killed it pretty quickly after that.

Guess those white pads worked pretty good for a shut out for the pens...... thanks Ottawa. :p