• Evgeni Nabokov

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rick DiPietro

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I was looking at the TSN top 20 player power rankings. Two goalies in there. Chris Osgood (Detroit) and Pascal LeClair (Columbus). The TSN Goaltender list has Henrik Lundqvist #3. Luongo #5 and Brodeur #12.

Who is the NHL's best goaltender?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I would have to go with Luongo as the goalie most likely to stop the first shot. Martin Brodeur is very good as well. I don't see the others often enough to judge.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Same here, I don't see the others much. I was surprised that 3 straight shutouts by Luongo didn't get him above the top 5.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Aren't you glad Bettman is in charge of the NHL? How many times have you seen Sidney Crosby play? I couldn't watch the Calgary/Pittsburgh game last night because I was out but that may be the only chance we will get this year. Luongo was chosen as the NHL's "star of the week" for those three shut-outs but he still didn't get higher than #5?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Sidney Crosbie..hmm..rings a bell...heard about him but like you said I never see him play.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Aren't you glad Bettman is in charge of the NHL? How many times have you seen Sidney Crosby play? I couldn't watch the Calgary/Pittsburgh game last night because I was out but that may be the only chance we will get this year. Luongo was chosen as the NHL's "star of the week" for those three shut-outs but he still didn't get higher than #5?

Next years schedule is supposed to be more balanced. Apparently every team will play each at least once, which is better then nothing I guess.

What I find to be extremely silly is the fact that Detroit is in the west yet it's only 6 hours from Toronto.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
6 hours from Toronto.?

I think I know what you meant. When Gretsky was playing, he brought the fans to the game. Crosby does too but we never see him.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think the NHL wants a Toronto - Detroit Stanley Cup opportunity.

As for Vancouver, remember it was a "goalie graveyard"? Vancouver is now a goaltenders paradise. The Canucks can't score, making guys like Sabourin look like Tretiak, and of course Luongo playing strong.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
This is who's playing now. Though I did hear Kelly Hrudy say that the goaltending today is better than any hockey era. Not just from the size of pads but training and technique.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This is who's playing now. Though I did hear Kelly Hrudy say that the goaltending today is better than any hockey era. Not just from the size of pads but training and technique.

I've heard others say that and I tend to agree. There is more science today and almost every team, even minor teams, have a goaltending coach. In the "good old days" the goaltender padded up and stood in the net while everyone blasted pucks at him. Today's goalies get better drills and video feedback on why particular shots got past them and advice on how to improve their game.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I've heard others say that and I tend to agree. There is more science today and almost every team, even minor teams, have a goaltending coach. In the "good old days" the goaltender padded up and stood in the net while everyone blasted pucks at him. Today's goalies get better drills and video feedback on why particular shots got past them and advice on how to improve their game.
And if you watch some replays of 20-30 years ago the shooting is nowhere near what it is today. Someone playing goal without a mask or using an old flimsy version would be carried away in a coffin in short order.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I voted Leclaire. He's having a career year. Six shutouts in twenty-one games? That's impressive.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I don't follow NHL anymore and cannot give an informed answer about the current players.

But in the old days I thought Ken Dryden, Jacques Plante, Glenn Hall, and Billy Smith were the best.

As a former NY'er, Smith gets my nod as he had a knack for winning the tough games.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Dryden was remarkable in the 71 Stanley Cup win, but after that he was lucky to have the team he had in front of him.

Smith was a money player, and a **** disturber. I saw him win a cup in Vancouver. Tiger Williams tried to impale him. It didn't work, he just played better.

Leclair with 6 shutouts, that's quite a season already.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I liked many of the oldtime goaltenders too, but they did play in that era, and now e very aspect of the game is 'better'. Players are faster, and much bigger and the shots are harder.
I will have to go with Martin Brodeur, as noone has passed him in stat department yet in the modern day game, guess Patrick Roy is close by him in stats too.

Would like to vote for Luongo, but he will have to put up the stats over the next few years to get into that catagorie.

Chris Osgood is playing great this year, just as good as Hasek, who is also one of the greats, even if he is a 'flake' and has a different sort of style, but he has been responsible for loosening up the goaltending and allowing them to be more acrabatic as well as using the
butterfly style. Luongo is great at both styles, with third and fourth efforts and he
never quits.
Most of our present goalies are better than the old ones, but that is just the way the
whole game has improved, same in all other sports, that's life, better minor hockey, better hockey schools, better goaltending schools, better equipment and better coaching.