How about them Canucks!

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by CoddfishView Post

I also find it incredible that you guys went from an epic collapse last year, to an epic victory this year. The only closest thing that I think of in terms of that kind of turnaround is when the Flyers made it to the 2008 Conference Finals after finishing with just 22 wins in the year before.

What? This is Boston... Epic Collapse was defined here!

Kreskin
+1
I see that people in downtown Vancouver are pretty excited about the Lions beating Calgary.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

I just found it hard to believe this was anything but it was Boston's time. The Jacob's family doesn't want anything but people's butts in seats and buying popcorn since they own all the concessions.

Didn't this happen in 1994 when they lost to the Rangers.

This is unbelievable Eagle Smack - I am beyond words to describe what I am watching live from Vancouver right now and it is 10:20 here is BC. I have lost count of how many fires are burning and there are still thousands of people on the downtown streets. The Bay has been broken into, cars have been burned, a parkade is on fire.

I feel so heartbroken for all the decent people of Vancouver who are seeing their hopes and dreams of having an open and friendly city with numerous wonderful public venues literally go up in smoke.

spaminator
downtown vancouver is taking a beating. it's ironic that the canuck stadium isn't being destroyed.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

What a disaster, this team believed its press clippings.
They thought all they had to do was show up and they
would win. Boston is playing tonight like those great
teams from the late sixties and seventies and they are
giving Vancouver a lesson in how hockey is played. I
am a Montreal fan usually but I always cheer for the original
six when my team is gone. Vancouver went for speed
and passing, Boston went with the old fashioned great
Canadian game and it is winning.
They should trade the Lou and get a goaltender and the
sisters should go as well. How about them Canuks?
They are a waste of space with big heads and suspect talent.
I couldn't be happier tonight. Go Bruins.

boston was the better team 'after' the first goal, not before, went into defense mode, which is their
strength, and their best player is their goalie, nothing penetrates him.
yeah, if goalies would have switched places, canucks would be the winners.
any team who reaches the stanley cup finals is a good team, things do happen
along the way, kesler for one is a very different player than before, so I would
imagine he has been playing injured, and has been for some time.

I saw canucks lose some of their swagger over the past while, they were not the
strong skating team they started out with in the playoffs, I think injuries took
its toll along the way.

And I repeat, thomas got into the heads of the canucks, they were pausing too much
trying to figure out how to get the puck past him, hence, they weren't playing on
spontaneous instinct, but thinking too much because of Thomas. He is a fabulous
goalie, and boston is lucky to have him, hope they appreciate how good he really is.

Boston gained confidence as they could see luongo was shaky and not the brick wall
their goalie is, they became a different team than they were in the first game,
and began believing in themselves, and at the same time canucks were losing
confidence because luongo was piling up goals against them.

Canucks could have had bigger tougher players, wouldn't have made a difference,
they still wouldn't have scored goals on thomas.

The strength of a team starts from the goaltending right up the middle. Sure
canucks won at home, but barely, just barely, luongo played well in those games,
but the scoring wasn't really there for either team, and canucks just squeaked
out those wins.

canucks power play was missing in action, a complete turnaround from previous
playoffs, and that takes away much of the sedin's game as well.
The sedins did not have a very good playoff run at all, bits and spurts of good
play, but for the mostpart, they were kept to the outside, and didn't make much
of an impact.

The goaltending has to be consistent in every game in a final series like that,
and it certainly was not, which led to other problems.

Tim Thomas would give any team the confidence to 'go for it', as they know he will
stop the puck, sure makes a difference.
Last edited by talloola; Jun 16th, 2011 at 12:08 PM..

Omicron
http://tunes.digitalock.com/crawlingfromthewreckage.mp3 <-- click to hear what I am listening to.

Something I have been trying to explain to the rest of Canada is that Wet Coasters think they are doing the nation some sort of favor being part of it.

I first got hit with it when I moved there out of curiosity, and was only able to stay because I got a Government job, else I would have been running back to Alberta screaming for sanity.

http://tunes.digitalock.com/kryptonite.mp3 <-- click to hear what I am hearing

The concept of concentrated sub-cultures has possibly not been studied enough.

The first time there was a post lost-the-Stanly-Cup riot in '94 me and Sharon were stuck downtown, watching it from a second-loft bar having locked the doors, such that we watched it happen on the streets below us.

Still, liquor laws required the pub to kick us out at 3:00 AM, at which point she and I had figured the way to avoid the macing and tear-gassing from the specials gone wild was to go east over the Georgia Viaduct, and catch a cab from there, which an excellent Hindi (I suspect Sikh) was able to do in order to whisk us away from there.

I know this is going to be hard to explain, but it's got something to do with the mentality of kids spawned by people doing their tricky-cleverness thing to get into what is supposed to be the best part of Canada because it doesn't snow in the winter, but in fact it's not. They just didn't know how to buy winter cloths.

In fact, in winter, most Canadians get out under the sun and ski and snowmobile and skate, with the national pride being the best clothing to do winter in.

Wet-coasters, on the other hand, spend winter huddled inside moldy houses gathering around a fire.

90% of Canadians east of the Rockies will change a province at least once in their life.

Born in Vancouver, and you will never leave. To them the rest of Canada is a theory, with only the Queen being in common.

JLM
---Quote (Originally by damngrumpy)---
"What a disaster, this team believed its press clippings.
They thought all they had to do was show up and they
would win. Boston is playing tonight like those great
teams from the late sixties and seventies and they are
giving Vancouver a lesson in how hockey is played. I
am a Montreal fan usually but I always cheer for the original
six when my team is gone. Vancouver went for speed
and passing, Boston went with the old fashioned great
Canadian game and it is winning.
They should trade the Lou and get a goaltender and the
sisters should go as well. How about them Canuks?
They are a waste of space with big heads and suspect talent.
I couldn't be happier tonight. Go Bruins."

At peril of disagreeing with you, I don't see it quite that way. Canucks should stick with basically the team they have. They've had a great year and great three rounds of playoffs. What we've seen the past week is a slump at the worst possible time (or maybe not or they wouldn't have got this far) We know Luongo and the Swedes are good. Thomas was just a little better. Next year.

Omicron
Quote:

At peril of disagreeing with you, I don't see it quite that way. Canucks should stick with basically the team they have. They've had a great year and great three rounds of playoffs. What we've seen the past week is a slump at the worst possible time (or maybe not or they wouldn't have got this far) We know Luongo and the Swedes are good. Thomas was just a little better. Next year.

Exactly.

How much drama do you want other than to get down to the seventh game?

If you loose it means you're silver.

Boo-frikkin-hoo.

Just get better next year. It's an honor to have grown that much.

Just out of curiosity....

Imagine if all the rioters in Vancouver had had as easy access to bud as they now get to booze, and imagine if booze was restricted the way pot is.

I dare you to ask cops which crowd they'd rather deal with.

Cripes, have you ever tried to contact the crown.

God Almighty.

In the mean time I've done contact with Russia and Japan (wherein the Russians ask me about Japanese culture and civilization,which is weird how they had the war of 1905 with them)

Christ. It means I'm going to be be mediating between Russians and Japanese, which I can do.

http://tunes.digitalock.com/Will.I.Am-AlexOnTheSpot.mp3 <-- click to hear what I am hearing.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

the story is true, it was stated in an interview from the canuck player, I watched it, there is
no reason for them to lie, not at all.

If these guys walked in a diner in full uniform they would not be recognized. If many Bruins walked into a Boston diner they would not be recognized. Because basically you are saying because they were Vancouver Canucks they were not served. Don't be silly.

I'd refrain from calling Bostonians moronic. If I were you I really would at this point.

yeah, that was tense for sure, and yes, I would love for them to win in boston on monday, just
to rub it in their faces, bunch of morons.

Get my drift?

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Boston always has had the reputation of being "upper crust".

Uh huh...

Last edited by EagleSmack; Jun 16th, 2011 at 06:15 AM..

talloola
[QUOTE=EagleSmack;1440729]If these guys walked in a diner in full uniform they would not be recognized. If many Bruins walked into a Boston diner they would not be recognized. Because basically you are saying because they were Vancouver Canucks they were not served. Don't be silly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the story is absolutely true, I heard it from the horses mouth, not silly at all, and i'm not that
kind of person who says things for no reason, and I don't lie.

anyone who treated customers in that manner is a moron, from boston or anywhere else, and the
recoginition of the players probably was because of canuck related clothing, hoodies, hats etc.,
because they were recognized period, the truth.

you underestimate boston if you think bruins or others would not be recognized in their own town,m
that is silly.
and i'm sure they can read, having vancouver canucks written on your clothing is a pretty good
hint, right? right? silly.

Mowich
I simply can't imagine what the Canucks are feeling this morning. To lose the Cup at home and then watch as downtown Vancouver erupts in violence must be the final blow for a team that fought hard all year. Ryan Kesler still refused to talk about his obvious injuries and was very emotional in a post-game interview. As his teammates stated, he is a warrior and I can hardly wait to watch him play again next season. Thank you Ryan for a great year. Get healthy and try to enjoy some time off.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

I simply can't imagine what the Canucks are feeling this morning. To lose the Cup at home and then watch as downtown Vancouver erupts in violence must be the final blow for a team that fought hard all year. Ryan Kesler still refused to talk about his obvious injuries and was very emotional in a post-game interview. As his teammates stated, he is a warrior and I can hardly wait to watch him play again next season. Thank you Ryan for a great year. Get healthy and try to enjoy some time off.

yes, kesler obviously has been injured for a while now, when he isn't flying up and down the ice at
top speed, playing his great two way game, something is wrong, but he gave it his all, we saw that
earlier in the playoffs, especially in the nashville series, and he'll be back next year and show his great play again.

I imagine many players will be nursing their injuries throughout the summer, on both teams.

September will come along quickly, and now maybe we can realize why teams who play in the
finals, often do not have very good starts to their next seasons, it just comes along too soon.

The addition of higgins and lapierre turned out to be a very good move by gillis. I remember
someone from montreal making fun of the canucks when they acquired those two players, I wonder
what they think now.
The behavior of a small number of punks in vancouver last night is disgusting.

Out of 100,000 or so people, probably 500 behaved like idiots, and have now given
a sickening picture to the rest of the world, and of course others will view this
as the character of the city, and it isn't.

It is so disheartening to all of us to know that punks like that have the power to
make such an impact, truly disgusting.

It took a long time to put the 94 problem behind us, and now it has raised its ugly
head, and overshadows everything wonderful leading up to yesterday.
Last edited by talloola; Jun 16th, 2011 at 12:22 PM..

wulfie68
I have to say I was impressed by the consistency displayed by the Bruins all series: their losses were all 1 goal games, including 1 OT. Their D played Vancouver hard even when the O didn't work, and when they were able to put the puck in the net, they pulled away from the Canucks. I think thats the lesson for the Cannucks: your team defense has to be solid ALL the time. Its not just about Luongo, its about forwards always coming back and the defencemen standing their ground. I think that was the real story of the final: Boston's blue-liners consistently excelled where Vancouver's had ups and downs. I'm not trynig to take anything away from Timmy Thomas, who was his usual Energizer Bunny self, but swapping the net-minders might not have been all the Cannucks needed to do.

It will be interesting to see if they can come back next year: the injuries always add up and its as much luck as skill that a team can get through the meat grinder to get to the Finals. I also have to shake my head at the hooligans rioting in downtown Vancouver: why does this happen no where else? Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa all lost finals in the past decade but none of them went ape-s*** like this... I just don't get it.

JLM

Probably nowhere near as bad as we would imagine- the handwriting was on the wall after the two back to back shellackings in Boston and they came into game 7 outgunned about 17/6. Of course the loss of Rome and Raymond were just two more nails in the coffin. Of course they were favoured in the early going, but by early in round 7 they were clearly the underdog. Next year for sure!

The addition of higgins and lapierre turned out to be a very good move by gillis. I remember
someone from montreal making fun of the canucks when they acquired those two players, I wonder
what they think now.

Yep, Lapierre is a keeper for sure, lots of moxie that boy!

EagleSmack
[QUOTE=talloola;1440825]
[So everyone wearing Sports Team logos should be considered a player of that team? I can't wait to go out and buy a Tom Brady Patriots shirt!

yeah, you do that, maybe get fit first.
Last edited by talloola; Jun 16th, 2011 at 08:12 PM..

talloola
[QUOTE=EagleSmack;1440898]But enthusiasm for ones sports teams obviously makes one biased.

I would LOVE to see this story and find out what restaraunt this happened in.

What restaraunt refused to serve a couple of Vancouver Canucks... or did indeed run out of food.

True... but the insinuation was that it was a Boston thing. You know it.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
it wasn't an article, it was a live interview with one of the canucks, I watched, and now I'm
not sure which one it was, as I've seen many other interviews with them before that, and since,
it was very surprising, and matter of fact. It was in boston.

Don't have a clue what the name of the restaurant is. If you want to know more about it, you'll
have to contact someone on the team, it wasn't a written article or gossip thru the radio.
It wasn't an insinuation at all, but a short comment from the player, a factual comment, something
that actually happened to the three canucks in the restaurant.

Why would you find it impossible to believe, are the boston people so pure that there are no
morons there at all, i'm pretty sure there are morons everywhere, even in boston, get use to it.

what you are actually saying, is that you don't believe the canuck player, you think
he is lieing, or joking, and he wasn't doing that at all.

I'm getting real bored with this conversation, i've delivered all i'm going to
say on this, it is factual.
Last edited by talloola; Jun 16th, 2011 at 08:14 PM..

EagleSmack
So a Canuck player making an accusation makes it factual? Shouldn't there be facts involved?

It was something just to get you all pumped up.

We're not pure... but you clearly were painting us all with a broad brush and wanted to win it in Boston just to rub it in our faces. Remember?

Oh, and you're right... I don't believe him.
Last edited by EagleSmack; Jun 16th, 2011 at 10:28 PM..

talloola
[QUOTE=wulfie68;1440861]I have to say I was impressed by the consistency displayed by the Bruins all series: their losses were all 1 goal games, including 1 OT. Their D played Vancouver hard even when the O didn't work, and when they were able to put the puck in the net, they pulled away from the Canucks. I think thats the lesson for the Cannucks: your team defense has to be solid ALL the time. Its not just about Luongo, its about forwards always coming back and the defencemen standing their ground. I think that was the real story of the final: Boston's blue-liners consistently excelled where Vancouver's had ups and downs. I'm not trynig to take anything away from Timmy Thomas, who was his usual Energizer Bunny self, but swapping the net-minders might not have been all the Cannucks needed to do.

QUOTE]

you're right about the team Defense, and I certainly noticed that too, BUT canuck defense was so solid
all year, but definitely not in the final series.
I guess the absence of hamhuis, and rome made a difference, they say erhoff was banged up with a bad
shoulder, (not confirmed), and there was definitely holes in the D, and it wasn't just because boston
forced that problem, because the D was so solid all year, and throughout earlier rounds, but faded
noticeably.
Canucks were very proud of the depth of the defense all season, even with earlier injuries they stood
solid.
Canucks game all year was deep, including luongo, and that depth faded.
All the more power to boston, but they didn't break up the canuck depth, it seemed to be on its way
out anyway, as the goalie is part of that defense, and he really struggled in boston.
And, in the last game, he wasn't stellar either, not all his fault in that game,
but unlike thomas, he wasn't solid.

Boston was not the better team in the first two games, that was evident, BUT once they began to see
how they could penetrate luongo, then they pressed all the harder, gained confidence for themselves,
and never looked back, except for game 5, then again canucks looked like the better team.
And also, once boston saw that canucks power play had gone south, then they must have become even
more excited, that power play was the best in the league, and struggled big time in the finals.

Those weaknesses certainly gave boston the openings they needed to push on and take over the series,
which they did, and deserved the championship.

Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

I see that people in downtown Vancouver are pretty excited about the Lions beating Calgary.

yes, imagine rioting over a pre season game, one neve knows, does one. lol

If they lose he will be beating himself up, people have to put this in perspective, you don't ruin a person because their own thrills have been dashed, personally I'd question if a self respecting team would even want these people as fans. As good or bad as Luongo will be he can only be expected to try his best.

Now that the dust has settled, and we can all see where the weaknesses were for the canucks, we can
put this year to bed and look forward to next season.

Anyone who thinks luongo might be going anywhere best forget that, he has 11 years left on his contract,
and there isn't a team out there who would touch that contract with a ten foot pole.

So, we better embrace luongo, and wish him well next year, hope he tightens up his playoff performances,
and maybe they can make a few other changes in the team, and come back even stronger.

[QUOTE=talloola;1441021]
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68View Post

I have to say I was impressed by the consistency displayed by the Bruins all series: their losses were all 1 goal games, including 1 OT. Their D played Vancouver hard even when the O didn't work, and when they were able to put the puck in the net, they pulled away from the Canucks. I think thats the lesson for the Cannucks: your team defense has to be solid ALL the time. Its not just about Luongo, its about forwards always coming back and the defencemen standing their ground. I think that was the real story of the final: Boston's blue-liners consistently excelled where Vancouver's had ups and downs. I'm not trynig to take anything away from Timmy Thomas, who was his usual Energizer Bunny self, but swapping the net-minders might not have been all the Cannucks needed to do.

QUOTE]
yes, imagine rioting over a pre season game, one never knows, does one. lol

Now that the dust has settled, and we can all see where the weaknesses were for the canucks, we can
put this year to bed and look forward to next season.

Anyone who thinks luongo might be going anywhere best forget that, he has 11 years left on his contract,
and there isn't a team out there who would touch that contract with a ten foot pole.

So, we better embrace luongo, and wish him well next year, hope he tightens up his playoff performances,
and maybe they can make a few other changes in the team, and come back even stronger.

Only about a week or two till the entry draft, then on july 1st, the free agents are out there for
anyone to offer contracts to.

Edmonton has 'that' number one draft pick again, they will have yet another top young player to
add to their lineup. somewhere in the near future we better get use to edmonton oilers challenging
all others, as they have the makings of a top team now, just need some maturing, but not much, they
showed pieces of that talent now and then last year.
Last edited by talloola; Jun 17th, 2011 at 01:01 AM..

damngrumpy
So they got to the seventh game, that is revealing, this was the team
favoured to win the cup. They were supposed to get to the seventh
game, and win it. In short they choked, again just like the series with
the Rangers. I would think they might learn a lesson, they need some
muscle, and drive. The Sisters have some drive, but no muscle.
The rest of them have that, if we are not winning we sulk and lose.
It happened in Boston and last night it happened again. Lou the siv
is hot and cold and is not the great hope they thought he was.
Time for a trade, and get rid of the weak spots this team has.
I was for Boston for only one reason, they are from the original six and
I always go with those teams.
Vancouver has this label thing, they are trying to pass themselves off
as Canuk Nation. It is a term that came naturally when referring to the
Saskatchewan Roughriders and it does not apply here.
Oh they have fans in other cities, but in Alberta, and other areas like
NS, they can't stand them. The problem is they haven't proven
themselves. Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, and Montreal have all done
that and Vancouver always finds a way to lose the big game. It is a
shame really, because a cup makes a team come of age and it could
be a long time before the Canuks make it to the seventh game of the
final, Unfortunately this team is not as good as most people think and
many of the teams they play are getting better all the time. Without
changes the Canuks are not.

talloola
+1

My god its not the end of the world, just a loss that ends their season,
and no cup, the way you describe it, the canuck nation might as well all
jump off a bridge, well, in case you haven't noticed, next season is
only 3 months away, canucks will be back, and a new season will start, and
the team will give it another go.

Your dramatics are unbelievable, try and relax, life does go on.

Corduroy
+1

next season is only 3 months away

Ugh, really? That's not enough time to move.

Quote:

Your dramatics are unbelievable.

I think he does it for the sake of it.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

Ugh, really? That's not enough time to move.

Now that was funny.

JLM
+1

Actually DG the President's Trophy is actually more of a feat than the Stanley Cup, people just don't recognize it. To win the Presidents Trophy you have to beat 29 teams whereas to win the Cup you only have to beat 4. The Stanley Cup is often won on lucky breaks. Who cares what Alberta or N.S. thinks of them. I like them and to me they are heroes. Enough people obviously like them to generate $33 million for the organization on Wed. night. Actually Boston also got to the 7th game and they both can't win it so getting to the 7th game only ensure a team a 50/50 chance.

talloola
+1

Actually DG the President's Trophy is actually more of a feat than the Stanley Cup, people just don't recognize it. To win the Presidents Trophy you have to beat 29 teams whereas to win the Cup you only have to beat 4. The Stanley Cup is often won on lucky breaks. Who cares what Alberta or N.S. thinks of them. I like them and to me they are heroes. Enough people obviously like them to generate $33 million for the organization on Wed. night. Actually Boston also got to the 7th game and they both can't win it so getting to the 7th game only ensure a team a 50/50 chance.

yes, if one picks through all of the games getting to the stanley cup series, there are so many
situations that could have gone either way, and little things that could have allowed the 'other'
team to win the series.

chicago could have played pittsburg
montreal could have played san jose
detroit could have played tampa bay
boston could have played nashville, etc etc etc etc

there is a fine line that determines the winner of each series.

tampa bay could have easily defeated boston, and chicago could easily have defeated canucks, just
didn't quite happen.

and any of those other teams who could have made it to the finals, would have been labeled as the
best team in the NHL, the road to the cup is fun, exciting, intense exhausting and whatever team
manages to make through feels the thrill of raising the cup, a great ending to a long season, but
its only a short tournament toward a big ending, but its fun.

JLM

yes, if one picks through all of the games getting to the stanley cup series, there are so many
situations that could have gone either way, and little things that could have allowed the 'other'
team to win the series.

chicago could have played pittsburg
montreal could have played san jose
detroit could have played tampa bay
boston could have played nashville, etc etc etc etc

there is a fine line that determines the winner of each series.

tampa bay could have easily defeated boston, and chicago could easily have defeated canucks, just
didn't quite happen.

and any of those other teams who could have made it to the finals, would have been labeled as the
best team in the NHL, the road to the cup is fun, exciting, intense exhausting and whatever team
manages to make through feels the thrill of raising the cup, a great ending to a long season, but
its only a short tournament toward a big ending, but its fun.

You're last three words are what it's all about (for the sane fans) Of course for the players and the owners it has to do about money, but we don't care about that stuff.

Mowich

Probably nowhere near as bad as we would imagine- the handwriting was on the wall after the two back to back shellackings in Boston and they came into game 7 outgunned about 17/6. Of course the loss of Rome and Raymond were just two more nails in the coffin. Of course they were favoured in the early going, but by early in round 7 they were clearly the underdog. Next year for sure!

One of the fellows on Team 1040 was saying that the loss of Hamhuis? had a big effect on the team too as he provided Bieksa with protection.

JLM

One of the fellows on Team 1040 was saying that the loss of Hamhuis? had a big effect on the team too as he provided Bieksa with protection.

You bet!

cranky
I saw a canuck and a bruins fan fighting the other day. The canuck fan was screaming "we can out finesse you everytime there's a penalty" The Bruins fan screamed "We can out finesse you everytime there wasn't a penalty"

Mowich

You bet!

JLM, is there not a gathering of some sort so fans and the Canucks can get together to thank each other? At the end of the Rider season, the team always gets together with fans for one hurrah.

I realize it is not an opportune time to be talking about getting crowds together but was wondering if something like this is usually done at the end of the season.

Corduroy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by crankyView Post

I saw a canuck and a bruins fan fighting the other day. The canuck fan was screaming "we can out finesse you everytime there's a penalty" The Bruins fan screamed "We can out finesse you everytime there wasn't a penalty"

What time is it in Vancouver?

Twelve past Luongo.

yukyukyuk