How about them Canucks!

talloola
well after announcing canucks could clinche n.w. div. last night, now they say they still need
a point, so, so much for that info.

if anyone can get a replay on team 1040 of the interview with jim hughson this morning, it would
be well worth it.

He agrees with the g.managers decision yesterday to enforce more diligently the existing rules
in the NHL, and 'not' make any new rules or change any existing rules.

he had many very good statements to make.

he also mentioned that the Ontario Jr. Hockey League has had stringent rules in their league for
sometime now, which strictly penalizes all head shots, and the 'CONCUSSIONS ARE UP' AND NOT DOWN'.
Most concussions are caused by accidental hits to the head, but not all.

The refereeing is not good this season, so now if they have to ramp up their calls for what they
deem to be intentional head shots, it will be interesting, because we might see all kinds of calls
that have a mixture of everything in them, which will make us even more frustrated with the refereeing
than we are now, but they must try.

There is still so many contradictory comments concerning many hits, as some see them as intentional
hits to the head, and many others don't.

It is all about big players and speed, more speed than has ever been in the game before.

I also don't see this as an overnight fix, lets see how the referees handle this from now on, and
then see the outcome, it will take time.

Mowich
Great game between Toronto and Carolina tonight, tallola - TO won 3-1. Riemer stopped 36 shots and Phaneuf got 3 points and 2 goals.

I saw an interview with some of the players in the league including Stamkos and to a man they said that change should come from the players and that stiffer penalties would not necessarily make things any better. I agree with these guys, tallola. I think that more pressure should be put on the 'bad eggs' by their teammates to shape up and play better hockey. The league is full of markee players who are well respected across the NHL. These players and I include Sidney among them, need to step up and start talking about the level of play and the number of needless injuries taking place right now. This may not rid the league of all the head hits but it sure would be a step in the right direction.

Kreskin
Funny on team 1040 this morning, interview with Hamhuis.. after scoring two goals the other night they were calling him 'The Triplet'.

PoliticalNick
Another convincing come from behind win tonight. Canucks dominated the 3rd period to pull it out and clinch the division and at least 3rd in the west. Another 5 wins, including their last game against Detroit, would almost guarantee they win the west and the presidents trophy. They are playing like the top team in the league down the stretch when it counts.

Go Canucks Go!!

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

Great game between Toronto and Carolina tonight, tallola - TO won 3-1. Riemer stopped 36 shots and Phaneuf got 3 points and 2 goals.

I saw an interview with some of the players in the league including Stamkos and to a man they said that change should come from the players and that stiffer penalties would not necessarily make things any better. I agree with these guys, tallola. I think that more pressure should be put on the 'bad eggs' by their teammates to shape up and play better hockey. The league is full of markee players who are well respected across the NHL. These players and I include Sidney among them, need to step up and start talking about the level of play and the number of needless injuries taking place right now. This may not rid the league of all the head hits but it sure would be a step in the right direction.

Yes, I watched most of the toronto game, very good indeed.

The players definitely need to have more input, I agree, and respect for each other needs to be upfront
and foremost. I like what the league decided, now if the referees do their job, and the players become
a little more accountable to each other, at least, as you say 'the bad eggs' will be weeded out.
Mario Lemeaux sent a letter to the NHL and suggested that with every suspension, (which always has a
fine attached to it), the team 'also' must pay up, which will make those players more responsible to
their own team gen. mgr., and if he continues with the poor decisions he will find himself out on the
street.
The majority of concussions are 'not' caused from intent to injure, but those are part of the problem,
so if they are taken out of the game, that will help.

They must also make the 'workplace' safer, as the speed and size of the players now, makes any impact
bigger, and one piece glass and 'hard' stanchions and any other hazardous part of the
playing surface must become safer, just as in 'any' workplace.

When they took out the red line and put a stop to clutching and grabbing, they automatically made the
game faster, and with bigger and better skaters the speed has increased ten fold, so they must be more
aware of the possible hazards, and get rid of them.

It also helped when they gave a penalty for 'body checking' from behind on an 'icing play'. I like that
better than 'no touch' icing.

The Scott Steven type of hit, which was legal back then, is now illegal, (eg. mat cooke on savard), so
those will gradually dissapear, and when they do happen, they will be dealt with harshly.

If anyone expects concussions to totally disappear, forget it, the game is physical, fast played by men,
and it is rough, but that is 'the game of hockey', and that is the way the players, managers, and hockey
fans want it, and they should never take that away, or begin to take hitting out of the game.

The fighting should also be dealt with, (no fights tonight in the canucks game), and each teams coach
and manager can control that aspect of their players, or their coaching to bring that down to an
acceptable level.

Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

Another convincing come from behind win tonight. Canucks dominated the 3rd period to pull it out and clinch the division and at least 3rd in the west. Another 5 wins, including their last game against Detroit, would almost guarantee they win the west and the presidents trophy. They are playing like the top team in the league down the stretch when it counts.

Go Canucks Go!!

yeah, poor first period, then they turned it on, and finally got the win, must be frustrating for
vineault watching his team, spot the opposition 2 goals, then gradually come
back and win.

nice to clinch this early. good on them
Last edited by talloola; Mar 17th, 2011 at 11:55 PM..

JLM

Go Canucks Go!!

Yep, it's been a long time since the Canucks were the first team in the leaque to clinch a playoff spot.

talloola
a little different line up tonight as a result of malohotra's accident. I hope he recovers quickly,
there is no detailed news to date, I think they have to wait now for swelling to go down, and then
perhaps they will have some idea of damage.

I remember when Ohlund had similar accident, took a long time for him to return, I think about 2
months, as his sight was hampered, and even when he did play again, one could tell that his eyes
were not back to normal, but he did continue his career successfully.

I think lapierre is centering 3 rd line, and raymond centering 4th line. and higgins is taking
raymonds place on second line.
vineault will go with that and 'just see' how it works.

I think henrik sedin is going to step up and do more faceoffs, but that faceoff
ability of malhotra's will be sadly missed, and his good penalty killing ability,
but they do have lots of depth, and the team has managed all season with players
out, so they will do it again.

canucks/phoenix tonight at 7
Last edited by talloola; Mar 19th, 2011 at 12:04 AM..

JLM
Them pesky Coyotes! Anyway Canucks had a good run at it and now can establish another streak to carry them through the playoffs.

talloola
well I don't know, I saw two teams battling, and two goalies making good stops, I saw Canucks outplaying
coyotes with many more shots, and I also saw the referees step in and decide the outcome of the game.

if they really had to, they could have given burrows a 2 minute minor, and i'm not even sure if it
was a penalty at all, however, that is history now, canucks will rebound, as always, but it leaves
a bad taste in one's mouth.

I'm not usually one to whine about officiating, but this year it is 'vile'.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

well I don't know, I saw two teams battling, and two goalies making good stops, I saw Canucks outplaying
coyotes with many more shots, and I also saw the referees step in and decide the outcome of the game.

That five minute major was a joke. The guy would have went into the boards whether Burrows was there or not.

There were many missed calls where a Canuck was hooked or high sticked or tripped with no penalty. I really
hope the Canucks complain about that reffereeing farce.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

That five minute major was a joke. The guy would have went into the boards whether Burrows was there or not.

There were many missed calls where a Canuck was hooked or high sticked or tripped with no penalty. I really

__________________________________________________ ________________
I don't think they will say anything, but I hope the referee 'seniors' who watch thier referees work,
see the poor showing, and when they watch the replays, point out how they screwed up, (that must have
happened many times this season), and i'm not just referring to canuck games.

Burrow's penalty will go to review, wouldn't it be interesting if they give him a suspension, or a
fine, or both. lol

what a joke that would be.

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Bettman put a stop to complaints about officiating years ago. I think if a player speaks badly of the refs he gets a $10,000 fine and the team gets $25,000. If a coach says anything it is $25,000 for the coach and up to $100,000 for the team.

That's a bigger joke than all the bad calls put together.

Final score tonight--- Canucks-1/Coyotes-1/Refs-2

talloola

Bettman put a stop to complaints about officiating years ago. I think if a player speaks badly of the refs he gets a $10,000 fine and the team gets $25,000. If a coach says anything it is $25,000 for the coach and up to $100,000 for the team.

That's a bigger joke than all the bad calls put together.

Final score tonight--- Canucks-1/Coyotes-1/Refs-2

yes, that is right, and when one listens to all of the media interviews with players and coaches,
they constantly try to bait them, (especially immediately after a game, when they are feeling a
bit emotional) by asking them questions about the 'calls', but they don't bite, because of the
fines that would be sent their way.

Mowich
Will be cheering loudly for the Cannucks tonight as they take on the Red Wings. I rarely get to see a Cannucks game as I don't have the multi-channel NHL networks so this will be a real treat. Go, Cannucks!

talloola
Just arrived home caught last few minutes of first period, no score.

GO CANUCKS GO

PoliticalNick
WooHoo. 2-1 defeat of the dastardly Wings tonight. Another step closer to winning the west. Daniel sure know how to celebrate his new baby, almost had the hat-trick.

bill barilko
A bit sad to see all the empty seats in Joe Louis Arena-the team is as good as ever but everything else in Detroit.........

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

A bit sad to see all the empty seats in Joe Louis Arena-the team is as good as ever but everything else in Detroit.........

I have to agree. When one of the top teams with one of the lowest average ticket prices can't fill the arena it is a sad commentary on the economic state of Detroit.

talloola
good game for canucks tonight, they played well, an important win.

yes, a sad state of affairs in detroit for some time now, the economy is very poor, but I do
think the wings have put together many helpful types of ticket sales for low prices to encourage
fans to come out.

I suppose they will give lapierre more time to work his way into that 3rd line center position,
but I don't see him as very successful there, I would think Cody Hodgson would do a much better
job, as he is a natural center, and a better player, but maybe lapierre just needs more time, and
perhaps that is what they will do, as they can call cody up any time, and there is no emmergency
right now.
I like lapierre, but the 3rd line center is a crucial position, and I think he is
more beneficial to the team on the wing. He did very well in the faceoff circle
tonight.

atlanta on friday

GO CANUCKS GO
Last edited by talloola; Mar 24th, 2011 at 12:13 PM..

In Between Man
I've got 2 tickets to Game 2, Round 1 of the playoffs. I got them as gift from someone. I haven't been to a NHL game in years, and I've never been to a playoff game.

They BETTER win! Go Canucks Go!

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayzView Post

I've got 2 tickets to Game 2, Round 1 of the playoffs. I got them as gift from someone. I haven't been to a NHL game in years, and I've never been to a playoff game.

They BETTER win! Go Canucks Go!

lucky guy, the place will be wild and so much fun, have a great time, maybe they will hand out the
white towels again.

petros

lucky guy, the place will be wild and so much fun, have a great time, maybe they will hand out the
white towels again.

Oh no not the towel thing again. If they ditch the lucky towel maybe the cross bar curse will end?

Mowich
Man Luongo made some absolutely stunning saves in the game last night - he had me on my feet, yelling my head off. Good game for the Cannucks and I was happy to see that there were very few penalties and that both teams came to play hockey and leave the nasty stuff at home. Right on, Cannucks.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

Man Luongo made some absolutely stunning saves in the game last night - he had me on my feet, yelling my head off. Good game for the Cannucks and I was happy to see that there were very few penalties and that both teams came to play hockey and leave the nasty stuff at home. Right on, Cannucks.

I think that was luongo's best game of the season, and howard played well too in the second period, I think canucks had over 20 shots on him in that period.
Last edited by talloola; Mar 24th, 2011 at 11:48 PM..

JLM
Pretty soon people are going to start getting suspicious that Philly is being paid to surrender the President's Trophy to the Canucks.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Pretty soon people are going to start getting suspicious that Philly is being paid to surrender the President's Trophy to the Canucks.

looks like washington will go ahead of philly soon, just two points behind.

talloola
ha ha washington lost to ottawa tonight

Stamkos did not get any points, so daniel didn't lose ground

canucks won the last two games because of luongo, I don't like that imbalance, just as I don't
like it when the team wins in spite of their goalie, sure we scored 3 goals (one empty netter),
but atlanta could have been up by about 4 or 5 goals by then.
I hope they get their team sorted out over the next week, I know it's harder now without malhotra,
but they need to smooth things out, and help their goalie.

canucks go to columbus next, another team out of the playoffs, then on to nashville, a team who
can shut any team down with their tight defensive game, and their great goalkeeping.

then on to l.a.

JLM

looks like washington will go ahead of philly soon, just two points behind.

Yeah, it could be a dog's breakfast- Boston is no slouch either.

PoliticalNick
+1

ha ha washington lost to ottawa tonight

Stamkos did not get any points, so daniel didn't lose ground

canucks won the last two games because of luongo, I don't like that imbalance, just as I don't
like it when the team wins in spite of their goalie, sure we scored 3 goals (one empty netter),
but atlanta could have been up by about 4 or 5 goals by then.
I hope they get their team sorted out over the next week, I know it's harder now without malhotra,
but they need to smooth things out, and help their goalie.

canucks go to columbus next, another team out of the playoffs, then on to nashville, a team who
can shut any team down with their tight defensive game, and their great goalkeeping.

then on to l.a.

I think we won in spite of the refs. Should have had 4 or 5 PPs. Glad to see Luongo playing well, hope it carries into the playoffs. I think the line-up will sort out a bit as guys get used to the changes but Malholtra was a big loss. Might be just the right amount of adversity to keep them awake for the last 2 weeks.

Kreskin

I think we won in spite of the refs. Should have had 4 or 5 PPs. Glad to see Luongo playing well, hope it carries into the playoffs. I think the line-up will sort out a bit as guys get used to the changes but Malholtra was a big loss. Might be just the right amount of adversity to keep them awake for the last 2 weeks.

You pretty much nailed it there.