Go Leafs Go!

Jonny_C
+2
No thread dedicated to the Leafs yet? (Or did I miss it.)

As a long-suffering Leafs fan from back in the days of Dave Keon, Frank Mahovlich and Johnny Bower, I'm glad to see the boys in blue in the playoffs after a 9 yr drought. It looks like they could give the Bruins a run for their money.

I can't cheer for Montreal no matter how hard I try, so here's hoping the Senators advance.

I'm in Vancouver's corner for the time being too, but they look like their post-season is going to be a short one.

If the Leafs can't pull off an appearance in the finals, I hope to see the Sens or the Canucks there.

B00Mer
+1

Walter
Weather is too nice to think of hockey.

IdRatherBeSkiing
I am so not used to having Leafs in the playoffs. I hope they win at least 1 at home but think they will lose to the Bruins.

I can't cheer for Montreal or Ottawa. It makes me sick to do so. Too bad they both can't lose.

Vancouver is toast (as usual).

Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg I could cheer for but are not in the playoffs.

Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Not exactly. Had a couple nice runs in the early 90s just didn't make it to the cup.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

...just didn't make it to the cup.

you said it.

Zipperfish
+1
Leafs will be in tough against Boston, but I'm behind them all the way!

Alas, my Canucks are not looking good. San Jose has it together this year, that's for sure.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

Leafs will be in tough against Boston, but I'm behind them all the way!

Alas, my Canucks are not looking good. San Jose has it together this year, that's for sure.

I am not sure that San Jose has it together instead of the Canucks not. Sadly, this seems to be common place last couple of years is playing well during regular season and folding up the tents in the playoffs.

Hopefully they will become inspired and recover from a 3-0 deficit and prove me wrong.

Zipperfish
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I am not sure that San Jose has it together instead of the Canucks not. Sadly, this seems to be common place last couple of years is playing well during regular season and folding up the tents in the playoffs.

Hopefully they will become inspired and recover from a 3-0 deficit and prove me wrong.

The Canucks have past their "best before" date with their current contingent. But they are still a good hockey club. San Jose hasn't given them any room. Their third line centre is better than our first line centre.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

I've been telling Nucks fans on this forum that their team just isn't built for playoff success. Sure, they get angry at me but their team keeps proving me right. As for the Leaves, Gawd help us!!! They haven't won since 67 and we still keep hearing about it. I can't imagine what it will be like if they ever win the cup again.

petros
They are just starting to bud. Hurry up, I could use the shade.

Jonny_C
+1
4-1 for Boston at the end of the 3rd. Gotta hope for something close to a miracle to salvage this one.

petros
+2
The leafs making the playoffs is as a big of thing as winning the cup for fans.

Take what you can get.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Take what you can get.

Next year we want to win a series (ideally Ottawa).
We can do the cup the year after that. We are patient.

Jonny_C
+2
Well the leafs lost but they weren't outclassed. If the crossbar and the post had been goals, it could have turned out differently.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Take what you can get.

Very true. Let's take it one step at a time.

shadowshiv
+2
Hopefully they'll win the next game. I would have preferred that they had gotten Montreal as their first round matchup (why couldn't Boston have won the last game of the season?) as they handled them pretty well during the season (5-2 against the Habs). I still think Toronto has a chance to win the series (anything can happen in the post-season). They just need to play like they did in Game 2.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
The Leafs suck. Go Jets!

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

The Leafs suck. Go Jets!

Yeah, but who made it into the playoffs.

I wanted the Jets to make it, but they unfortunately had two other teams that had to lose all their remaining games to make it in. They seem to be on the cusp, however. Maybe they'll be in next season. The only Canadian team that I think will not make it to the post-season in the foreseeable future is Calgary. They look to be in shambles!

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Yeah, but who made it into the playoffs.

Even a retarded squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

shadowshiv

Even a retarded squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Wow! Such hatred! I'd almost expect you to be a Hab's fan! LOL!

Retired_Can_Soldier

Wow! Such hatred! I'd almost expect you to be a Hab's fan! LOL!

Nope, just sick of Toronto which is really a team that has no fans, but corporate sponsors who make way too much money therefore putting on a crummy showing year after year after year. I hope they are beat down.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo! Toronto! Booooooooooooooooooooo!

shadowshiv
+1

Nope, just sick of Toronto which is really a team that has no fans, but corporate sponsors who make way too much money therefore putting on a crummy showing year after year after year. I hope they are beat down.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo! Toronto! Booooooooooooooooooooo!

Well, I'm a fan and I'm certainly no corporate toady. LOL! I do agree that there are far too many tickets given to the suits. Free the seats for the REAL fans, the ones that make the NOISE! The prices also need to be reduced.A person should not have to take out a second mortgage just to get tickets.

In all seriousness, who do you think will win the Cup this year? The two teams to beat in the West are Chicago and Anaheim (yuck), and in the East I think it will be Pittsburgh, but only if they stop taking the Islanders so lightly. They were very close to being down 2 games to 1 to them. Washington may go fairly far, but I am not a fan of Ovechkin. I would love it if the Leafs won the Cup, but I am happy that they made it to the playoffs. I think this is the first step of many in the right direction.

SLM
+2
There's nothing like the optimism of a Leafs fan.

LOL

shadowshiv
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

LOL

A true fan is one who roots for their team regardless if they are successful or not. I'll admit that it's been hard at times, but I could never become a "born again" fan, a fan who decides to root for a team that has enjoyed a fair amount of success in a row. For example, becoming a New England Patriots fan just because they were the winning team at the time. I really only follow two sports. Hockey and baseball. The Leafs and Blue Jays are my teams of choice (I was a Jays fan since I was old enough to know what baseball was). Of course, the Jays aren't making it very easy on my this season. They stink!

Retired_Can_Soldier

A true fan is one who roots for their team regardless if they are successful or not. I'll admit that it's been hard at times, but I could never become a "born again" fan, a fan who decides to root for a team that has enjoyed a fair amount of success in a row. For example, becoming a New England Patriots fan just because they were the winning team at the time. I really only follow two sports. Hockey and baseball. The Leafs and Blue Jays are my teams of choice (I was a Jays fan since I was old enough to know what baseball was). Of course, the Jays aren't making it very easy on my this season. They stink!

What Toronto needs is for its Fans (like you) to stop supporting them and buying their crap and then maybe if they got a little hungry they might work for a Stanley Cup.

Jonny_C
+2

LOL

Yup, through thick or thin. (Which is worse, "thick" or "thin"?)

What Toronto needs is for its Fans (like you) to stop supporting them and buying their crap and then maybe if they got a little hungry they might work for a Stanley Cup.

When you're a Leafs fan, that's kind of a Catch-22.

SLM
+2

Many, many of the men in my life have been Leafs fans, lol. I just love to tease.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jonny_CView Post

Yup, through thick or thin. (Which is worse, "thick" or "thin"?)

Thick or thin? Really depends what you're talking about, lol.

Jonny_C
+3

Many, many of the men in my life have been Leafs fans, lol. I just love to tease.

Does that mean you like to hang around with losers? (I'm teasing too.)

SLM
+5
#28  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Jonny_CView Post

Does that mean you like to hang around with losers? (I'm teasing too.)

No way, the men in my life are not losers! For one thing they have excellent taste in women.

LOL

shadowshiv
+2

I eased off in my support by not watching a single game this year (although that was mainly due to the Lockout, which didn't seem to solve anything). Unfortunately, with their current ownership I don't foresee any change in the amount of corporate lackeys in the seats.

I really am glad that the Jets are back. Hopefully the Nordiques will be back someday as well.

No way, the men in my life are not losers! For one thing they have excellent taste in women.

LOL

Good answer. LOL!

Retired_Can_Soldier

I eased off in my support by not watching a single game this year (although that was mainly due to the Lockout, which didn't seem to solve anything). Unfortunately, with their current ownership I don't foresee any change in the amount of corporate lackeys in the seats.

I really am glad that the Jets are back. Hopefully the Nordiques will be back someday as well.

The Nordiques! The Nordiques! The Nordiques!

Don't get me started on the The Nordiques!