Hockey Is Back: NHL And Players Reach Tentative Deal, Ending Lockout

CDNBear
Hockey Is Back: NHL And Players Reach Tentative Deal, Ending Lockout - Forbes (external - login to view)

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Hockey Is Back: NHL And Players Reach Tentative Deal, Ending Lockout - Forbes (external - login to view)

Sounds like! They both should have just jumped to that point in the first place!-

Retired_Can_Soldier
+9
#3  Top Rated Post
Who cares! They won't be getting any of my viewing time. Bunch of A-Holes.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Well, they certainly are a self-centred bunch on both sides, so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they did lose a few paying fans. What we have here is some of the richest people in the world (comparitively speaking) not giving a sh*t about the Zamboni operator, the hot dog vendor or the motel owner across the street from the arena. It's all about greed and self aggrandizement (think that's a word)-

SLM
+7
Quote:

Free-agent contracts can last just seven years, but clubs can go to eight years to re-sign their own players. Each side can opt out of the deal after eight years. The players’ share of hockey-related income, a total that reached a record $3.3 billion last season, will drop from 57 percent to a 50-50 split. The salary cap for the upcoming season will be $70.2 million and will then go down to $64.3 million in the 2013-14 season. All clubs must have a minimum payroll of $44 million.

Quote:

A new pension plan will be written up as well, an area of particular importance to players.

I'm having a hard time, what is the expression? Oh yeah, giving a damn.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I'm having a hard time, what is the expression? Oh yeah, giving a damn.

I think I get your drift.-

Spade
Back to National Hokey League play.

Cliffy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

But the alcohol companies must be happier than pigs in flight.

JLM
+2

I somehow don't think that was a typo!-

#juan
+3
I might have cared three months ago but I'm no longer addicted to watching the game I played for twenty years and coached
for another ten. Hell's bell's these turkeys knew what the costs and the revenues were the day the lock-out started and it took
a hundred odd days to decide how the players and owners would split the proceeds. Who cares!!

Liberalman
Think of all the big bucks more that the fans will have to shell out for a NHL game. The fat cats in Toronto won't notice but the rest of the league will and the teams in the NHL will start to fall like a house of cards.

grumpydigger
+3
I would hope fans would stay away for the rest of the season. only supporting minor hockey.

To send a message to these millionaires and billionaires who really pays their paychecks. and have them realize that they're still only playing a game .

Kreskin
+4
I've lost a lot of respect for the owners. I thought they were astute business people but now feel they are primarily born-with-spoon-in-mouth idiots. Why they keep Bettman on as the ambassador of the game is truly perplexing.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

I've lost a lot of respect for the owners. I thought they were astute business people but now feel they are primarily born-with-spoon-in-mouth idiots. Why they keep Bettman on as the ambassador of the game is truly perplexing.

Yep, Bettman has about as much class as an onion sandwich!...........and Brian Burke. But still the greed isn't all confined to Bettman.

Spade
+4
Hey, I love onion sandwiches.
Recipe
Slice a large spanish onion and soak the slices in wine vinegar for twenty minutes.
Warm several crusty buns
Open a jar of pickled herring
Slice a bun and butter both halves
Stack one half of the bun with alternating layers of onion and herring
Top the layers with the other half of the bun
Enjoy watching European football on a large-screen TV

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Bettman is a clown, but blaming the owners on this, I think is wrong.

If the NHLPA wants a fixed % of the revenues, then shell-out that same % of the money to build the arenas and the team jets..

Hell, they were even bitching about getting money from beer sales and parking? Maybe these chumps can help sell the beer and be the parking attendant if that's what they feel they're owed

petros
+1

Hey, I love onion sandwiches.
Recipe
Slice a large spanish onion and soak the slices in wine vinegar for twenty minutes.
Warm several crusty buns
Open a jar of pickled herring
Slice a bun and butter both halves
Stack one half of the bun with alternating layers of onion and herring
Top the layers with the other half of the bun

Just add a shot glass and a bottle of frozen vodka.

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

If the NHLPA wants a fixed % of the revenues, then shell-out that same % of the money to build the arenas and the team jets..

Hell, they were even bitching about getting money from beer sales and parking? Maybe these chumps can help sell the beer and be the parking attendant if that's what they feel they're owed

I'd like to see what is in the NHLPA's portfolio.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I'd like to see what is in the NHLPA's portfolio.

It'd be interesting, that's for sure..... But it still makes my head spin how a group that has zero money at risk can demand guaranteed salaries (with no return guarantee of performance) and still demand such a big slice of the pie without risking one penny of their own?

petros
Without knowing what they have invested in, which could be vendors, parking lots, t-shirts and poutine it's hard to say.

Mowich
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I might have cared three months ago but I'm no longer addicted to watching the game I played for twenty years and coached
for another ten. Hell's bell's these turkeys knew what the costs and the revenues were the day the lock-out started and it took
a hundred odd days to decide how the players and owners would split the proceeds. Who cares!!

We have been well entertained with the World Junior competition, juan - and there has been no lack of good hockey if people were willing to support their local teams and get out to the games.

Kreskin
+1

I'm not just speaking about collective bargaining. He has always been a public relations disaster. When not in CBA mode he should be a positive marketer of the game.

Collective bargaining must be his strong suit because public affairs isn't. And if CBA is what he does best it's not saying much about him or the owners employing him.

#juan
+2

It'd be interesting, that's for sure..... But it still makes my head spin how a group that has zero money at risk can demand guaranteed salaries (with no return guarantee of performance) and still demand such a big slice of the pie without risking one penny of their own?

An NHL player puts his career on the line every time he laces up his skates. He doesn't know when he is going to get tripped
into the boards or block a puck with his face. Every check is potentially a career ender.

damngrumpy
Hockey has burned its bridge for a while with me. This whole thing it turns out
was not necessary they came to the conclusion that was as plain as the nose
on ones face.
As for junior hockey, we are catering to the wimpy crowd again and we are losers.
fourth place is not acceptable period. I ended up cheering for Sweden as I do not
cheer for Americans when it comes to hockey. Why is it we have produced such
inferior teams the last three years at least. We sent over the tougher guys on the
coaching staff and we do well.
There is no way in hell we should be producing teams like this. It is time we got
back to winning. Yes winning is everything as hockey is as much about politics as
anything else.

Risus
Who gives a crap watching a bunch of multimillionaires playing for a bunch of multimillionaires? None of whom give a crap for the people they expect to support them.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by RisusView Post

Who gives a crap watching a bunch of multimillionaires playing for a bunch of multimillionaires? None of whom give a crap for the people they expect to support them.

That pretty much says it all Risus........

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Without knowing what they have invested in, which could be vendors, parking lots, t-shirts and poutine it's hard to say.

That's how they should participate, but if this were the case, they wouldn't be moaning about wanting someone else to take the financial risk just so they can demand 50% of the upside

Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

An NHL player puts his career on the line every time he laces up his skates. He doesn't know when he is going to get tripped
into the boards or block a puck with his face. Every check is potentially a career ender.

A ditch digger puts his career on the line every time they grab their pick axe, as do bus drivers and cabbies take career ending risks each time they get behind the wheel, but you don't see them demanding 50% of all the fares collected and taxes levied.

If the sport is too risky for these girls, they'd be wise to drop the risk and take a job at Walmart stocking shelves

Locutus
Haven't watched the NHL since they trade Sitler and McDonald.

gerryh

A ditch digger puts his career on the line every time they grab their pick axe, as do bus drivers and cabbies take career ending risks each time they get behind the wheel, but you don't see them demanding 50% of all the fares collected and taxes levied.

If the sport is too risky for these girls, they'd be wise to drop the risk and take a job at Walmart stocking shelves

The ditch digger and the bus driver are covered under WCB and/or EI, the hockey player is not.

talloola
glad the lockout is over. listened to many players being interviewed by phone this morning, they are very
excited, as this is their work, they have been waiting all this time to get back to it, some played in
europe, but most didn't.

players didn't strike, they were locked out, and they said prior to lockout they would play thru negotiations, but that didn't happen, so they are very excited to get back on the ice, as the
game they played all of their lives was gone from them.
The one player said, his wife wouldn't even let him play board games any more because he was so
pent up from not playing, he was far too competetive at the games, so he was banished. lol

The players lost money from the settlement, as new contract has done that, but they fought hard
to maintain many other parts of their game, eg. pensions, etc, so the players held fast to their
other needs, but gave up money, and that will go toward the have not teams, who are losing lots
of money, guess bettman needed that, as his poor choices of new teams certainly haven't worked
out very well.

The average length of career for a player is about 8 years, and many are not that long, and their
risk of career ending injury is very high, and many players are pushed out by new players along
the way, who beat them out at training camps, or just get older and lose a step or two.

The multi million dollar players are the minority, and sit as the cream at the top, but also have
big risks as well.

Their pension plan and their medical coverage has been steadily improved over the years, and any
player who had gone into this lockout 'injured' long term, got paid right thru the lockout,
eg. ryan kesler for canucks and alex edler.

I have no grudges against anyone, I see that is was a battle royal all the way thru, but I give
credit to player assoc leaders, as they did not buckle and collapse under the strain of the NHL
who constantly tried to bring them to their knees.

It is now a ten year wait till next negotions, so that is a good improvement.

I haven't thought much about hockey since last fall, but I will gradually get back into it, I
have no anger against anyone it is what it is, a lockout, nothing strange about that, we have
seen strikes and lockouts from many areas all of our lives, this one is no different.

So, welcome back to all the players and coaches, they are hoping to get started by jan 15, which
will give them 50 games, but maybe the 19th, which will give them 42 games.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

The ditch digger and the bus driver are covered under WCB and/or EI, the hockey player is not.

If the ditch digger is a contractor, then they pay WCB but don't get to collect if something happens.

Point is, if these players are so upset about the risks, then get outta the game - no one has a gun to their heads on this