Hockey Is Back: NHL And Players Reach Tentative Deal, Ending Lockout

gopher
+1
Well folks - how did the season opener go for you?

I watched Bruins defeat the Rangers and liked the intensity of the match. Earlier, I watched Pens beat Flyers. Both matches featured good intense play as the teams were in mid season form.

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

Well folks - how did the season opener go for you?

I watched Bruins defeat the Rangers and liked the intensity of the match. Earlier, I watched Pens beat Flyers. Both matches featured good intense play as the teams were in mid season form.

Yeah, I just saw that the Beaners beat the Rangers so as far as I'm concerned the season isn't off to a perfect start, but the Canucks later on tonight should ease the pain! -

talloola
glad hockey is back, now I have some quality television to watch. I've been having trouble finding anything worthwhile
on the tube, don't know how many of those shows make it onto the screen, pure junk.

canucks/anaheim right now, 2-2 after one, pretty good game, lots of effort and good skating, a bit of
rust, but that is to be expected.

Kreskin
+1
Looks like the Canucks need a goalie (ok I will duck now).

talloola
well, after first period, canucks lost their legs, their goalie didn't save them.

ducks came to life, and played a pretty good game, and hillier was very solid.

don't know how many of the ducks played overseas, does make a big difference, they seemed to have
the legs to play 60 minutes and canucks didn't.

wulfie68
I didn't get a chance to watch much but I was watching the scores...

Pens over Flyers, yay!
Sens over the Jets, meh (not emotionally invested in either and same for my fantasy leagues).
Chicago over LA, wow: way to ruin the Banner Ceremony, Blackhawks!
Bruins over the Rangers, well any day the Rangers lose is a good day and Rask is one of my fantasy goalies.
Leafs over the Habs, well someone had to win.
Devils over my Isles makes me sad.
Tampa over the Caps is interesting; nice butt kicking.
Panthers over Carolina; so much for Semin and Jordan Staal lifting the 'Canes so far...
Blues over the Wings... wow. Are the Detroit faithful gonna start calling for a new goalie again? It seems to be their mantra, even more than Vancouver...
Columbus over Nashville in SO... doesn't do anything for me.
Stars over the Coyotes a.k.a. the REAL Jets, yay Lehtonen.
Wild over the Avalanche, I'm ambivalent.
Ducks over Caknuckleheads... snicker... how's that goaltending working out?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68View Post

I didn't get a chance to watch much but I was watching the scores...

Pens over Flyers, yay!
Sens over the Jets, meh (not emotionally invested in either and same for my fantasy leagues).
Chicago over LA, wow: way to ruin the Banner Ceremony, Blackhawks!
Bruins over the Rangers, well any day the Rangers lose is a good day and Rask is one of my fantasy goalies.
Leafs over the Habs, well someone had to win.
Devils over my Isles makes me sad.
Tampa over the Caps is interesting; nice butt kicking.
Panthers over Carolina; so much for Semin and Jordan Staal lifting the 'Canes so far...
Blues over the Wings... wow. Are the Detroit faithful gonna start calling for a new goalie again? It seems to be their mantra, even more than Vancouver...
Columbus over Nashville in SO... doesn't do anything for me.
Stars over the Coyotes a.k.a. the REAL Jets, yay Lehtonen.
Wild over the Avalanche, I'm ambivalent.
Ducks over Caknuckleheads... snicker... how's that goaltending working out?

O.K. Wulfie, except for Boston vs. N.Y.R.

talloola
not going to have comments either negative or positive till after aboutthe fifth game or so.
These teams only had 5 practices, and no exhibition games, and also with canucks they have to
muddle along with replacements till kesler and booth come back, so hopefully they can win a
few in that time, otherwise they will be in tough.

our goalies are fine, both number one, so they will have to work their way in too, get the rust
out, and smooth out.

maybe roberto will leave somewhere along the way, or not, doesn't really matter to me one way or
the other.

edmonton come into vancouver tonight, and many of them have played the whole time, especially those
young guns, so the fans will be entertained by all of their skills, and canucks will have to
figure it out the best they can.

GO CANUCKS GO

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

not going to have comments either negative or positive till after aboutthe fifth game or so.
These teams only had 5 practices, and no exhibition games, and also with canucks they have to
muddle along with replacements till kesler and booth come back, so hopefully they can win a
few in that time, otherwise they will be in tough.

our goalies are fine, both number one, so they will have to work their way in too, get the rust
out, and smooth out.

maybe roberto will leave somewhere along the way, or not, doesn't really matter to me one way or
the other.

edmonton come into vancouver tonight, and many of them have played the whole time, especially those
young guns, so the fans will be entertained by all of their skills, and canucks will have to
figure it out the best they can.

GO CANUCKS GO

Good attitude, Talloola, I think I'll hang tough for about 10 games before making up my mind if they are going to win the Stanley Cup. LOL

gopher
+1
Watched most of Buffalo's win over Philly:

Vanek's five-point day leads the Sabres to season-opening 5-2 win over Flyers - Sabres Edge | The Buffalo News (external - login to view)

Had to quit just a bit early in order to watch the NFL playoffs. Great to see Tomas Vanek do so well - he's a former Minnesota Gopher, originally from Austria.

In the three matches that I have seen so far, the reporters have all said the players are playing with great intensity. Interestingly, though there have only been a few fights, I was watching when each was on! Not a big fan of the fights, myself as I hate to see anyone get hurt. but the players can stop it any time they want and they choose not to do so.

talloola
I enjoyed canucks game tonight, must better energy than last night, and yes canucks were hurt by the
great shooting of those young players, with exception of the hemsky goal, which roberto should have
stopped, but I thought he had a very good game.
canucks just don't have those snipers for the shoot out, AND, with this season only being 48
games, that one extra point could be very important for many teams.

The twins do have that sniper ability, but they need to do it during a game, as they just don't seem to
be comfortable trying to undress a goalie while on their own during a shoot out, they seem to become
tentative or just don't want to show off.
Edmonton have eberly, hall, hemsky, gagne,the new russian kid, and a couple more, all very talented with the
puck, on their own, and love to show it.

Burrows will be better in shoot outs as time goes on, but right now he is very rusty, his timing is
all over the place, he is not twinkle toes on skates, but when he is in top form, he is a great player,
and his determination and quick thinking overcomes his lack of great skating, and he can get from
point A to point B as good as anyone, just not right now.

Edmonton has some great young players, but just don't forget how they got them, from the draft, as they
were a very poor team for so long they had high picks, and they won the draft lottery twice to give them the
number one overall pick.
I don't want canucks to have to go through that to acquire top draft picks.

It will be tough for them to build the team over the next five years or so, but gillis will have to do
the best he can by trading, drafting a bit lucky, and finding good college players who are free agents,
and sign them.
Its not easy, all the teams are trying to do the same thing.

Canucks have garrison now, who is a very very good player, takes salo's place very nicely, and he is young,
he was a free agent at the end of last season, AND he is a local player and he wanted to come home, so
he 'wanted' to sign in vancouver, same thing happened when hamhuis came, he is a b.c. boy too, he had
lots of offers from other teams, but he took a little less from gillis, so he could come home.

I hope canucks can come first in the conference, BUT honestly I see a few other teams who I think
will edge them out this year, as canucks probably aren't quite as strong as they have been, especially
if kesler and booth don't ever get to their top game shape, even though they will be back, then it is
another while before they hit their stride and become their best.

GO CANUCKS GO
Last edited by talloola; Jan 21st, 2013 at 11:58 AM..

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Good attitude, Talloola, I think I'll hang tough for about 10 games before making up my mind if they are going to win the Stanley Cup. LOL

Win the Stanley Cup????

To win the cup you need to have more than 2 defensmen..... and a few people who can put the puck in the net....

The Canucks have arguably, two of the best goaltenders in the league and they still looked like bums.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Win the Stanley Cup????

To win the cup you need to have more than 2 defensmen..... and a few people who can put the puck in the net....

The Canucks have arguably, two of the best goaltenders in the league and they still looked like bums.

It's early days yet #Juan! Pretty well every year there are trends established by many teams in the first month at both ends that don't endure. Like the Wild last year!

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

It's early days yet #Juan! Pretty well every year there are trends established by many teams in the first month at both ends that don't endure. Like the Wild last year!

I was hoping to get a rise out of somebody. Seriously though, they did look pretty bad.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I was hoping to get a rise out of somebody. Seriously though, they did look pretty bad.

they have no depth right now juan, that second line is missing without booth and kesler,so until they
come back,or they find players of that calibre to replace them, they won't do that well.