Habs Hire Anglo Coach - Knickers Get Twisted

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
With new Anglo coach, Canadiens strike a nerve in Quebec

prominent sports writer summed up one side of the issue, arguing the club failed in its responsibility to protect and promote the French language.

I always thought their responsibility was to entertain and to win hockey games. This is just another reason why the glory days of the Canadiens is long gone. As a Jets fan, I couldn't care less what language the coach speaks as long as they win hockey games.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Isn't he the interim coach until they hire a permanent one, not sure, just asking.

I can surely understand why a bilingual coach would be a much better choice for canadiens,
makes sense to me.
Of course winning is first and foremost, but if they can find 'both' in the one coach, it
would be an easier transition, as whomever it is, will have to either speak french or learn
french, thats just the way it is there, and I think a french/english speaking coach wouldn't have
to worry about communicating.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Is it any wonder Lindros refused to go to Quebec City when drafted?

Seems to me that it was Lindros's father/manager that refused to go to Quebec. The NHL blew it by not standing
behind the draft and insisting that Lindros go to Quebec.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I agree he should have gone to quebec too, but I guess they can't actually make him go, but he was
penalized for not going, as he had to sit out a year, then become a free agent.

he was the one who lost out in the end, because the nordiques became the colorado avalanche, and eventually
won the stanley cup, 'without' him.