Crosby and His Head Return Monday

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
In case it doesn't get enough press coverage, let it be known that Sid is returning, along with his head. All eyes will be on his skull. Hopefully it is thick enough to play with.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Glad Sid will be back with his 'head' but even happier that this fabulous bod will once more be on display - what a hunk! :lol:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I was watching the Dolphins games this afternoon when a receiver got absolutely pasted when he caught the ball. I thought to myself that an NHL player would not have gotten up. It got me to thinking. What's the big difference in these two pictures?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I was watching the Dolphins games this afternoon when a receiver got absolutely pasted when he caught the ball. I thought to myself that an NHL player would not have gotten up. It got me to thinking. What's the big difference in these two pictures?

well lets put boards all round the football field, and see how they get up when slammed into them, and
also the helmets are much heavier and big cages on the front, although, the brain isn't protected any
more from helmets, just the skull, as the brain can rattle around inside the head from any hit, doesn't
matter what kind of helmet is covering the head.

there are lots of legal hits in hockey where the hittee is slammed against the
boards, and most of them get up and continue playing, not all the time.

in a football game, even the hitter would be injured hitting the boards, when tackling a player out in
the open there is nothing to slam into but the ground, or the other player, entirely different game, no
comparison in that regard.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
well lets put boards all round the football field, and see how they get up when slammed into them, and
also the helmets are much heavier and big cages on the front, although, the brain isn't protected any
more from helmets, just the skull, as the brain can rattle around inside the head from any hit, doesn't
matter what kind of helmet is covering the head.

there are lots of legal hits in hockey where the hittee is slammed against the
boards, and most of them get up and continue playing, not all the time.

in a football game, even the hitter would be injured hitting the boards, when tackling a player out in
the open there is nothing to slam into but the ground, or the other player, entirely different game, no

As usual, you miss the point. Look at the chin strap.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
When I read the thread title I thought 'geez, looks like a title I'd use' lol.

Plus, in football they actually use substantial mouthguards, not just chew on little plastic strips.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Concussions prominent lately in NHL - sportsnet.ca WAP

Giroux never hit his head on the boards. Michalek never hit his head on the boards. Crosby never hit his head on the boards. I wonder how much of a difference it would have made if the chin straps were tight and why has the NHL not mandated that they be tight.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Concussions prominent lately in NHL - sportsnet.ca WAP

Giroux never hit his head on the boards. Michalek never hit his head on the boards. Crosby never hit his head on the boards. I wonder how much of a difference it would have made if the chin straps were tight and why has the NHL not mandated that they be tight.

it might make more sense if you mentioned the majority who did hit their heads on the boards. The players
have never tightened their chinstraps like they should, and I don't think it would have made a difference
anyway.

The helmets don't protect their brains, only their skulls, and concussions aren't happening because skulls are
bashed in, only because the jolt has made the brain rattle around inside the skull.
Concussions are still a grey area, and don't affect everyone the same, and some snap back to good health
quickly and others don't, concussions will never be gone from the game, as the latest have shown, have
happened from accidents with their 'own' players, so they will always be there from coincidental contact,
or just wierd outcomes from legal body checks, but they are doing good things as we speak, and continueing
to address the problem.

It just amazes me how they condone fighting now, after all of the up to date info re: concussions. They
want to protect their heads but they allow them to throw their helmets off, and hit each other on and
around the face and head, then fall onto the ice without a helmet on in most cases,very stupid in my view, its long past the time where they should worry about
how people like the fighting, and put the players health at the forefront.

I have always accepted the spontaneious fight as part of the 'venting' of the game, but not now, we can
all enjoy fast, furious and hightly charged hockey without fighting, its time now.

With the speed and excitement of the game now, that is all the excitement we need, don't need to bolster
it up with fights.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It seems to me Football players take much more head collision/contact. The head gear they wear is far more substantial.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The players have never tightened their chinstraps like they should, and I don't think it would have made a difference anyway.

Is that your expert medical opinion? What qualifies you to make that statement?

it might make more sense if you mentioned the majority who did hit their heads on the boards.

Please post the stats. What percentage of concussions are caused by the boards.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Is that your expert medical opinion? What qualifies you to make that statement?

Please post the stats. What percentage of concussions are caused by the boards.

not my expertise, repeating others opinions whom I have respect for, don't have any expert medical
opinion at all, but this is an opinion forum, so there it is, disagree if you want, doesn't matter.

It seems to me Football players take much more head collision/contact. The head gear they wear is far more substantial.

yes, it is far more substantial, and they have debated on the radio from time to time about' should hockey
helmets' be the same as the football helmet, seems there is always pros and cons.

since they changed the football helmets, (and also the helmet to helmet rule), have the number of
concussions decreased, and if so, wouldn't it make sense that it is the rule change that has made the
difference, if there is any.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
not my expertise, repeating others opinions whom I have respect for, don't have any expert medical
opinion at all, but this is an opinion forum, so there it is, disagree if you want, doesn't matter.

Well of course it doesn't matter. I could say that putting toilet paper in ones ears stops concussions. Doesn't make it so...just like saying that the majority of concussions are caused by hits into the boards.

yes, it is far more substantial, and they have debated on the radio from time to time about' should hockey
helmets' be the same as the football helmet, seems there is always pros and cons.

I'm not suggesting that the helmets be the same. I'm suggesting the hockey players tighten theirs up and see if it makes a difference.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well of course it doesn't matter. I could say that putting toilet paper in ones ears stops concussions. Doesn't make it so...just like saying that the majority of concussions are caused by hits into the boards.

I'm not suggesting that the helmets be the same. I'm suggesting the hockey players tighten theirs up and see if it makes a difference.

I think they hate the discomfort of the strap around their chin, so the authorities look the other way, and
also they would take longer to pull a helmet off of the fighting partner, without choking him before you
have the pleasure of punching him. lol

No, I don't think it would make a difference, sorry no written proof anywhere to back up my opinion, just
my long experience around hockey, take that for what you think its worth.