Charges recommended for cops in Dzeiekanski case

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Finally after several years charges of perjury are being recommended against the four cops in the Robert Dziekanski case at YVR. About bloody time!

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Minor league perjury charges equate to SFA in the legal system.

Note how this info was released Friday afternoon-do you know why?

So no news sources would pick it up until after the weekend that's why.

The Fix Is In-has always been in and they will literally get away scot free after murdering that man.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I thought these dudes got immunity from prosecution in exchange for their
testimony at the inquiry? It's a mess regardless of what does (or doesn't)
happen.

Mounties in Dziekanski case face perjury charges - The Globe and Mail

Perjury simplifies the whole matter - the fact they were lying on the witness stand is a lot more cut and dried than trying to figure out what each of them was individually guilty of as far as the assault and eventual death is concerned and the nice thing about perjury is they are liable to get 14 years in the crowbar hotel. They are all guilty, no mess to sort out of exactly who did what. :smile:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
They were given immunity for telling the truth and the truth is not what the court system got.
I think there will be one hell of a noise if they did get off. People will not stand for this one.
Even if they were innocent the system has to find them guilty of something. The one cop
should be booted from the force in my opinion. He is allegedly the same cop who ran into
the guy on a motorcycle killing him and he took his kids home.
Yup maybe there will be justice after all but don't hold your breathe, the cops have special
privileges you know.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
the nice thing about perjury is they are liable to get 14 years in the crowbar hotel.
The case will be delayed as long as possible and in the end they'll be convicted of a much less serious charge and not even miss work-cops can have criminal records you know.

They were given immunity for telling the truth and the truth is not what the court system got.
I think there will be one hell of a noise if they did get off. People will not stand for this one.
Even if they were innocent the system has to find them guilty of something. The one cop
should be booted from the force in my opinion. He is allegedly the same cop who ran into
the guy on a motorcycle killing him and he took his kids home.
Yup maybe there will be justice after all but don't hold your breathe, the cops have special
privileges you know.

It's all smoke and mirrors-the fix was in from the very beginning-why do you think this report was released on a Friday afternoon anyway?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
They did what they were trained to do. It's long past time to re-evaluate hiring standards.
As you say...what they were trained to do...not the hiring practices but the training standards that need to be looked at.

Perjury simplifies the whole matter - the fact they were lying on the witness stand is a lot more cut and dried than trying to figure out what each of them was individually guilty of as far as the assault and eventual death is concerned and the nice thing about perjury is they are liable to get 14 years in the crowbar hotel. They are all guilty, no mess to sort out of exactly who did what. :smile:
I highly doubt they will get any time in jail unless some judge decides to make an example of them. My guess would be probation at best, possibly lose their jobs, and suspended with pay while it all goes on.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
As you say...what they were trained to do...not the hiring practices but the training standards that need to be looked at.

I highly doubt they will get any time in jail unless some judge decides to make an example of them. My guess would be probation at best, possibly lose their jobs, and suspended with pay while it all goes on.

For once I agree with you completely.

And the solution is simple: the taser should be considered as lethal force, not to be used unless the officer or someone else is in danger of death or grievous bodily harm.

Unfortunately, it is hard to charge the officers with misuse of the taser when it is only considered an intermediate weapon, like pepper spray.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Maybe not- but with the number of "rotten apples" that have surfaced lately in the ranks of the R.C.M.P. there is a strong public demand that something severe be done with these thugs plus I believe there is pressure from the decent members of the force.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If you want to make an impact on how the police treat the public, make it a personal goal to eliminate steroid (and other drug) use within the policing industry.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Nope. The hiring practices are what leads to the required training. Since it is against the law to discriminate against people and train them differently, they have to bring all the standards to the lowest common denominator (that and the growth of SOG's which deter individuals from acting on their own instincts).

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Nope. The hiring practices are what leads to the required training. Since it is against the law to discriminate against people and train them differently, they have to bring all the standards to the lowest common denominator (that and the growth of SOG's which deter individuals from acting on their own instincts).

I have to disagree, a good friend of mine is a trainer for the RCMP and Customs agents, he teaches small arms and unarmed combat. He has told me that he can take an over aggressive person and train them down and take a very calm person and train them up. Believe it or not the trining is very psychological and almost a brainwashing (conditioned response). To him it doesn't matter what the traits and demeanor of the candidates are when they enter, his job is to make them all respond the same way to situations, and the methods used are very effective.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have to disagree, a good friend of mine is a trainer for the RCMP and Customs agents, he teaches small arms and unarmed combat. He has told me that he can take an over aggressive person and train them down and take a very calm person and train them up. Believe it or not the trining is very psychological and almost a brainwashing (conditioned response). To him it doesn't matter what the traits and demeanor of the candidates are when they enter, his job is to make them all respond the same way to situations, and the methods used are very effective.
Drilling. The worst part of training at Depot. More cadets bail during drilling than through the physical requirements.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
In British Columbia, the mood for something to be done about these four officers is strong.
Without jail time for these guys, there will be hell to pay, in fact it could become a huge and
I mean huge provincial election issue. People are totally fed up with the status quo and we
as citizens are demanding a civilian oversight that includes the RCMP even if that means
going to another form of policing. Yes it would add cost but in the long term it may be a lot
better than the current situation.
This business about doing what they were trained to do cuts no ice with a lot of people. I
for one have said over and over the training is lacking and the leadership is all but absent.
Others on these threads have said the same thing and I think people in BC especially have
had enough. The facts surrounding the case never add up and cops lied through their teeth
about what happened. If you get immunity it is because you gave a detailed description,
that is Truthful about what happened and that clearly is not the case here. These individuals
need some jail time and to be stripped of their uniform and all that goes with it. The time has
come to clean the RCMP up from top to bottom, and make it responsible to the people it
serves. Are police officers to be held to a higher standard? Yes that is what they are being
paid for, they are the people who ensure the law is being complied with, therefore they themselves
have to be straight up people.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In British Columbia, the mood for something to be done about these four officers is strong.
Without jail time for these guys, there will be hell to pay, in fact it could become a huge and
I mean huge provincial election issue. People are totally fed up with the status quo and we
as citizens are demanding a civilian oversight that includes the RCMP even if that means
going to another form of policing. Yes it would add cost but in the long term it may be a lot
This business about doing what they were trained to do cuts no ice with a lot of people. I
for one have said over and over the training is lacking and the leadership is all but absent.
Others on these threads have said the same thing and I think people in BC especially have
had enough. The facts surrounding the case never add up and cops lied through their teeth
about what happened. If you get immunity it is because you gave a detailed description,
that is Truthful about what happened and that clearly is not the case here. These individuals
need some jail time and to be stripped of their uniform and all that goes with it. The time has
come to clean the RCMP up from top to bottom, and make it responsible to the people it
serves. Are police officers to be held to a higher standard? Yes that is what they are being
paid for, they are the people who ensure the law is being complied with, therefore they themselves

You said it perfectly.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I am in no way being an apologist for these morons by telling what I know about their training. I am in fact pointing out that they are trainded to respond in this manner and it is wrong. I hope these 4 are hung from the yardarm and maybe the RCMP will get the message it is time to get back to serve and protect as peace officers instead of control by force as law enforcement officers.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

I have to disagree. A good friend of mine is an RCMP Sergeant and thinks your friend is a big part of the problem. He, like I, believe that those that can, "do" and those that can't, "teach". I'm not surprised your "friend" would defend his training techniques. The proof is, as they say, in the pudding and the RCMP's horrible track record of late would be a horrible indictment of your "friends" abilities if, in fact, the training was the issue.

I'm sure your friend believes that the average 5'4" 115 lb man can perform the same as the average 6'3" 240lb man. Those of us with our heads on the outside of our rectum know differently.