Meet the loudest cat in the world

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Meet Smokey the cat, who has just entered the Guiness Book of Records as the loudest moggy in the world.

Smokey, who lives with her owner Ruth Adams in Northampton, Northamptonshire, has a purr of 67.7 decibels, which is as loud as a lawnmower or hairdryer. Domestic cats usually purr at around 25 decibels.

Ruth said: "She has always been very vocal and purrs at some level nearly all the time.

"She even manages to purr while she eats. The only time she is quiet is when she is asleep.

"When I'm on the phone friends often ask what the loud noise is and they can't believe it is coming from a cat."

Loudest cat in the world

The Sun
5th May 2011

Smokey ... the loudest cat in the world

A MOGGY with a purr as loud as a lawnmower has been officially named as the loudest cat in the world today.

Smokey, 12, has gained a place in the Guinness World Record Book for her purr of 67.7 decibels.

Most domestic cats purr at around 25 decibels.

But pet Smokey has been known to purr as loudly as 90 decibels at home — which is as loud as a lawnmower or a hairdryer.

Owner Ruth Adams, from Northampton, said: "It all originally started as a purring competition in our home town of Northampton to support the cats protection charity.

"I can't believe Smokey now has a Guinness World Records title."

Ruth has previously said Smokey's deafening purrs make it impossible for her family to hear the television or radio and they struggle to have telephone conversations.

She said: "She has always been very vocal and purrs at some level nearly all the time.

"She even manages to purr while she eats. The only time she is quiet is when she is asleep.

"When I'm on the phone friends often ask what the loud noise is and they can't believe it is coming from a cat."

Ruth, who runs an office park, adopted Smokey from rescue centre NANNA in Northants three years ago for her ten-year-old daughter Amy.

The family has two dogs and two other cats but say 12-year-old Smokey is by far the loudest cat they have ever heard.

Ruth said: "It's either adorable or annoying, depending on what mood you're in and it's very loud.

"You don't even have to stroke her to start a purring session, often she'll do it for no reason.

"It can be annoying if her loud purring starts as you are watching television and it has reached a romantic bit in a film, because it's impossible to hear and spoils the moment.

"I don't know why she does it. It doesn't seem to bother her in any way. She's very happy and content, just very loud."

Craig Glenday, Editor-in-Chief of Guinness World Records, said: "Guinness World Records is a veritable cat-alogue of fantastic felines, and Smokey is a welcome addition to the family.

"It's incredible to think that a cat's purr can be as loud as a vacuum cleaner."

thesun.co.uk