Dirty Tricks

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Patrick Muttart, a key Harper campaign strategist, has suddenly left the Conservative campaign after reports that he tried to improperly spin a negative story about Michael Ignatieff to Sun Media.

The Conservatives confirmed Wednesday morning that Mr. Muttart is no longer part of the Tory team. He had been in Ottawa part time working on the campaign, providing insight and strategy on ads and messaging, since the writ was dropped in late March.

But this week – with just days to go before the May 2nd vote – Mr. Muttart returned to Chicago, where he works at a public affairs and political strategy firm , according to a source. He has been replaced – somewhat – by Dan Robertson, who has been working also on ads and messaging but has been based in Toronto for the election campaign.

"Mr. Muttart has no further role in our campaign," party spokesman Alykhan Velshi told The Globe.

Mr. Muttart has been credited as the whiz kid on the Harper team that brought the Conservatives their election victories in 2006 and 2008. He had also served as Mr. Harper’s deputy chief of staff but left a few years ago for Chicago.

Before that he had worked as a consultant in Toronto. And he once travelled – on his own – to Australia to study the John Howard campaign. As Globe writer Michael Valpy noted in a 2008 article, “He is known for his brilliance at creating disciplined, well-researched and powerful visual representations of complex political ideas.”

But he ran afoul of Quebecor’s Pierre Karl Peladeau, who owns the Sun newspapers and TV network. The media titan exposed him Wednesday as the source on a story about the Liberal Leader.

In his Sun newspapers, Mr. Peladeau wrote that a package of information, including a photograph purportedly of Mr. Ignatieff in Iraq in 2003, was given to Sun Media honcho Kory Teneycke, a former Harper spokesman, by Mr. Muttart.

“He claimed to be in possession of a report prepared by a ‘U.S. source’, outlining the activities and whereabouts of Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff in the weeks and months leading to the American invasion of Iraq in 2003,” Mr. Peladeau wrote.

According to Mr. Velshi, the Tory campaign "provided Sun Media with information that had been acquired during Internet research, namely a photograph described as that of Mr. Ignatieff. The campaign made clear to Sun Media that the identity in the photograph could not be verified and that our own efforts to verify the photograph had been exhausted."

Exposed

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I don't see why the conservatives bother to go to these lengths to destroy Ignatieff, he's doing a great of that him self.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Well this greatly boosts my confidence in conservatives and sun media.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
As James Carville once said, if you see your political opponent drowning, throw the
SOB an anvil. The thing we should note here is the Conservatives have hired a lot
of the American Guns on the political right to operate their message campaign. I
am not suggesting that this is a crime, it merely points out how thin they are in their
own strategy view in running a national campaign.
It turns Canadian issues into issues with an American twist. We need more Canadians
involved in their own process.
I know all parties have hired outside from time to time and I think we sell ourselves short
when we do so. I just think it is a sad commentary on the system and perhaps has led to
the kind of finish we are seeing in the polls at approaching the end of he election.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Patrick Muttart, a key Harper campaign strategist, has suddenly left the Conservative campaign after reports that he tried to improperly spin a negative story about Michael Ignatieff to Sun Media.

The Conservatives confirmed Wednesday morning that Mr. Muttart is no longer part of the Tory team. He had been in Ottawa part time working on the campaign, providing insight and strategy on ads and messaging, since the writ was dropped in late March.

But this week – with just days to go before the May 2nd vote – Mr. Muttart returned to Chicago, where he works at a public affairs and political strategy firm , according to a source. He has been replaced – somewhat – by Dan Robertson, who has been working also on ads and messaging but has been based in Toronto for the election campaign.

"Mr. Muttart has no further role in our campaign," party spokesman Alykhan Velshi told The Globe.

Mr. Muttart has been credited as the whiz kid on the Harper team that brought the Conservatives their election victories in 2006 and 2008. He had also served as Mr. Harper’s deputy chief of staff but left a few years ago for Chicago.

Before that he had worked as a consultant in Toronto. And he once travelled – on his own – to Australia to study the John Howard campaign. As Globe writer Michael Valpy noted in a 2008 article, “He is known for his brilliance at creating disciplined, well-researched and powerful visual representations of complex political ideas.”

But he ran afoul of Quebecor’s Pierre Karl Peladeau, who owns the Sun newspapers and TV network. The media titan exposed him Wednesday as the source on a story about the Liberal Leader.

In his Sun newspapers, Mr. Peladeau wrote that a package of information, including a photograph purportedly of Mr. Ignatieff in Iraq in 2003, was given to Sun Media honcho Kory Teneycke, a former Harper spokesman, by Mr. Muttart.

“He claimed to be in possession of a report prepared by a ‘U.S. source’, outlining the activities and whereabouts of Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff in the weeks and months leading to the American invasion of Iraq in 2003,” Mr. Peladeau wrote.

According to Mr. Velshi, the Tory campaign "provided Sun Media with information that had been acquired during Internet research, namely a photograph described as that of Mr. Ignatieff. The campaign made clear to Sun Media that the identity in the photograph could not be verified and that our own efforts to verify the photograph had been exhausted."

Exposed

Well, let's see......

Mr. Muttart's "crime" appears to be supplying a negative story on the Count to Sun TV and newspapers............not very nice, but hardly the stuff of scandal.......oh, and I'm sorry.....the pic he provided could not be verified...

ooooohhhhhh Hang 'em high!

And the Conservatives, as they have whenever faced with a hint of scandal, dumped him forthwith, immediately, without hesitation......no appointment to Denmark, etc etc etc....

and the kicker!

The entire affair was exposed by Sun News, you know, the Faux News North, the imagined propaganda arm of the Conservative Party.

Yep.

No story here, except some attempted mudraking.....

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
As James Carville once said, if you see your political opponent drowning, throw the
SOB an anvil. The thing we should note here is the Conservatives have hired a lot
of the American Guns on the political right to operate their message campaign. I
am not suggesting that this is a crime, it merely points out how thin they are in their
own strategy view in running a national campaign.
It turns Canadian issues into issues with an American twist. We need more Canadians
involved in their own process.
I know all parties have hired outside from time to time and I think we sell ourselves short
when we do so. I just think it is a sad commentary on the system and perhaps has led to
the kind of finish we are seeing in the polls at approaching the end of he election.
Yeah, well Mr Know It All, they could never hire you to do the job because you are too......, well you know !!!

Your second choice Mr KIA, is too run for office yourself and show everybody how's it's done.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The gag ball can fix that. :lol:

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
Well, let's see......

Mr. Muttart's "crime" appears to be supplying a negative story on the Count to Sun TV and newspapers............not very nice, but hardly the stuff of scandal.......oh, and I'm sorry.....the pic he provided could not be verified...

ooooohhhhhh Hang 'em high!

And the Conservatives, as they have whenever faced with a hint of scandal, dumped him forthwith, immediately, without hesitation......no appointment to Denmark, etc etc etc....

and the kicker!

The entire affair was exposed by Sun News, you know, the Faux News North, the imagined propaganda arm of the Conservative Party.

Yep.

No story here, except some attempted mudraking.....
Yeah just muckracking eh. I'd fully agree accept for the fact there is a page 3 editorial PK Peladeau saying all the right things & above the ed the disputed photograph is shown.
The Sun stands up for media fairness with the ed & at the same time sullies Mr Ignatieff with a false picture. Smooth.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Oh oh, this is getting some traction! Now Patrick Muttart is getting pissed at the Neocons who dumped his ass and there is some rumbling among the ranks about it. I guess getting dumped in the final stages of a campaign isn't something you want on your resume while you're trying to get a position in the upcoming south of the border.

A couple of questions come up from this.

Did the Conservatives actually try and undermine the credibility of the new news network Sun TV by sending in what they knew was a false document?

Can you trust a party that is going to lie to this extent to be honest with the public when the chips are down?

Is all that stuff about the Liberals lying in the past integrity or simply partisan hacking.