50th Anniversary of the Bay of Pigs

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada

Cuba kicked off a crucial Communist Party congress Saturday with a big military and civilian parade to mark 50 years since the defeat of CIA-backed exiles at the Bay of Pigs, still celebrated as a landmark triumph over the island's powerful neighbour to the north.

"Long live Fidel! Long live Raul! Long live the Communist Party of Cuba!" a female announcer shouted, and participants responded with shouts of approval.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/04/16/cuba-anniversary-bay-of-pigs.html

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yep.

And even Fidel now admits that communism is a failed political philosophy.

The Americans, back in 1961, were so stupid.

First of all, the assumed the people, who had just thrown out the monster Batista 2 years earlier, would rise up in support of the invasion.

THAT didn't happen! Surprise, surprise.

Secondly, the Americans only supported the invasion half-heartedly, and did not provide the air support promised....

If you are going to fight, fight to win....or stay home.

Cuba is a mess, due to the mishandling of the situation by both the Cuban communists and the United States.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Communism and Capitalism are failed ventures and that is because the intent of the programs
get interrupted by individual greed and subversion of the intent of the program being conducted.
The other problem is no one polices the levers of justice and guidance which allows wide open
no holes barred activity. Funny how ethics, empathy and justice go out the window when some
are granted a little bit of power to change without anyone questioning their course or cause.
Unbridled Capitalism isolates the little guy or those aspiring to reach the top and the powers that
be create the very bureaucracy they detest in order to control the market and their market share.
Free enterprise quickly turns into monopoly and the masses suffer.
Communism quashes the individual spirit of everyone so people focus on survival instead of the
concept of progress and innovation. We need to understand that good ideas need to be nurtured
and brought forward, but all the leavers of control cannot be centralized into the hands of a few
multinationals. We also have to understand we cannot have a system that controls everything that
moves because people will not bring new innovation forward.
Neither system works without rules and policing. The Cuban situation has survived because the
people supported their government against a regime that tried to starve them out. It is a reverse
isolation as Cuba was able to influence others in the third world to broaden their base and they stand
to gain by making and nurturing friends who now have money and resources, they will in fact turn to
a more open system but America will be left out of the equation as Cuba saddles up to ride with
the resource rich countries of South America.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I'm no fan of Castro but the economy there would be a lot better if there was no embargo. Therefore, while that government has its shortcomings, Washington DC has been no help.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I'm no fan of Castro but the economy there would be a lot better if there was no embargo. Therefore, while that government has its shortcomings, Washington DC has been no help.

Absolutely.

The embargo has long since ceased to be anything beyond shameless pandering to voters in Florida.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sanctions - they didn't work in Iraq, they aren't working in Iran, they aren't working in Burma, they aren't working in North Korea and they haven't worked in Cuba for 50 years.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I agree some reforms would have changed the economic situation for Cuba, but I still
think the revolution would have seen Fidel in power until he retired. The complex and
focused vision for Cuba came from the former regime that should never have had the
support of the United States. Batista was even worse than Castro and the situation in
Cuba was a lot worse before Castro came to power.
The Mob ran the place, and elite land owners had the country basically existing in a
feudal state where the rural citizens were little more than surfs, children as young as 13
were being used as prostitutes. and over 90% of the population was illiterate.
Castro made many improvement but he also brought the yoke of dictatorship born out
of revolution. When revolution takes place, a lot of people die on both sides do get killed.
and that is exactly what happened in this case. It is only too bad that the country has
not progressed with others in the region and that is to the shame of us all. Cuba today
celebrated their independence from the the Mob and the elitists who ran the country and
in that regard they are better off.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Absolutely.

The embargo has long since ceased to be anything beyond shameless pandering to voters in Florida.

Not even that anymore. Recent polls have shown many Cuban-Americans want the US to renew ties to Cuba. I have always believed that if the US had not played right into Castro's hands with its strong anti-Cuban policies that Cuba would have booted out Castro long ago.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I can't wait for US tourists to flood the island by the THOUSANDS! The Cubans will finally know what a tip is. We're going to be big, fat, loud, wearing NY Yankee hats and Hawaiian shirts. Mobbing hotels that used to have peace and quiet... i.e ... No Yanks.

"Heeeeyyyy! What does it take for a guy to get a drink around here?! Here baby... no... you keep the change Sugar, it's called a tip."

Spring Break 2015... Havanah Cuba!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I can't wait for US tourists to flood the island by the THOUSANDS! The Cubans will finally know what a tip is. We're going to be big, fat, loud, wearing NY Yankee hats and Hawaiian shirts. Mobbing hotels that used to have peace and quiet... i.e ... No Yanks.

"Heeeeyyyy! What does it take for a guy to get a drink around here?! Here baby... no... you keep the change Sugar, it's called a tip."

Spring Break 2015... Havanah Cuba!

Everybody at my work vacations in Cuba during the winter blahs........most used to go to Mexico, but they love Cuba.....the Cubans are extremely friendly, the resorts beautiful, the service extraordinary....it is all good.

I've never been.

When the damn Yanks get there.....prices will skyrocket!
Maybe this embargo is a good thing.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
When the damn Yanks get there.....prices will skyrocket!
Maybe this embargo is a good thing.

Eeeeeeexactly. That is exactly what I am saying. Not only that but I have heard that Cuba is also a warm winter place for the Canadians who can't stand Americans go.

When the embargo lifts... We're coming.

Hotels that Canadians used to go to every year will be booked.

Be careful what you wish fooooooor! :)