London G20 ‘kettling’ was illegal, British court rules

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Lesley Ciarula Taylor
Staff Reporter
The kettling of G20 protesters in London was illegal, a British High Court has ruled in a case with sweeping implications in Toronto.

The decision Thursday by the Queen’s Bench justices said police were working “in good faith” but still overreacted when they corralled 4,500 people inside a Climate Camp in London for three hours on April 1, 2009.

“The police may only take such preventive action as a last resort catering for situations about to descend into violence,” the Queen’s Bench justices.

“The test of necessity is met only in truly extreme and exceptional cases.”

“This is groundbreaking,” lawyer John Halford, representing the claimants, told the Star. “Never has there been a judicial review challenging a mass use of force by a lot of officers at once.”

This was “the blunt instrument being used when a scalpel is available,” he said.

“It is not necessary to make thousands of others suffer because police can’t be bothered to arrest the ones who are responsible.”

“This case is very important and will be used by us in the court,” said Murray Klippenstein, who has filed a $45 million class action lawsuit against the Toronto Police Services Board over the G20 in Toronto last June.

Office administrator Sherry Good is representing everyone wrongfully arrested, detained, imprisoned or held by police on June 26 or 27.

Good had been among about 200 protesters and bystanders boxed in by police for four hours on June 27 in a downpour at Queen St. and Spadina Ave.

The British ruling “is not legally binding but would be persuasive,” said Klippenstein. “The underlying principles that balance freedom to speak publicly in the street go back a long way in Canada and Britain.

“The words the court used are quite strong in defending freedoms that should not be encroached upon just for the convenience of the police,” he said. “There is a great deal of similarity between the two cases. We see precisely the principles of our Sherry Good class action.”

Toronto police spokesman Mark Pugash told the Star: “It’s not appropriate to comment” on a court decision in a “foreign jurisdiction.”

Toronto police said at the time they believed violent demonstrators with the Black Bloc were inside the Queen and Spadina crowd. The day before, black-clad demonstrators had smashed their way up Yonge St. during a demonstration against the G20 economic summit.

The British case was particularly unusual in that the justices insisted on questioning Metropolitan Police Services Chief Supt. Michael Johnson themselves even though he had already given a statement.

Johnson told the justices police feared violent demonstrators at London’s Royal Exchange 500 metres away would infiltrate and disrupt the peaceful Climate Camp.

At 7:07 p.m., police surrounded, or kettled, the camp. Nobody could leave.

Also at issue was the police “shield strikes,” jabbing riot shields at a crowd 15-deep to shove them back 30 metres. That, the justices declared, “was not necessary or proportionate.”

The justices, who included president of the Queen’s Bench division Sir Anthony May, stopped short of declaring kettling itself unlawful.

Still, London’s Metropolitan Police Service said Thursday it will appeal.

“At the heart of this case lies a vital public order policing tactic,” the MPS said in a statement.

The Climate Camp kettling “prevented further scenes of violence and criminal damage,” the London police force said.

A cordon keeping violent protesters out might have been necessary, the High Court ruled, but one keeping people in the Climate Camp wasn’t.

“There had been no disorder or violence at the climate Camp, not even when 200-300 so called hardcore protesters joined at around 4:40 p.m.,” The court declared.

“At 7:07 p.m., there was no breach of peace, imminent or otherwise.”

Halford said he’s confident “we can hold the victory” under appeal.

“The police didn’t use kettling until recently,” said Halford. “Police have managed to police without resorting to this as long as there have been large demonstrations in the capitals of cities. It isn’t necessary.

“It’s used increasingly in more and more peaceful demonstrations which are just inconvenient.

As in Toronto, the McClure-Moos case is a class action, said Halford.

“There were 4,500 people within the kettle. Each of them is equally a victim.”

The Toronto class action suit will likely reach the certification stage in Spring, 2012, Klippenstein said.

“It is clear that can only be a last resort when situations are about to descend into violence,” said Klippenstein.

“We continue to believe this was frankly illegal and does require the court to say so.”

Nearly 10 months later, he said, “Sherry Good is still nervous in walking in public down the street.”

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is good news, we must not have a society that feels the need to protect the politicians
from the people in this manner. Notice I said in this manner, there are of course precautions
that must be taken to protect from those intent on doing evil. But when it comes to voicing
opinions by way of demonstrations, strikes and peaceful civil disobedience they are part of
our civil society and a harmless outlet that allows for peaceful resolution of conflict.
When our society reaches the point where we have so much contempt for the politicians that
are supposed to serve our interests instead of their own, we should then become concerned
about the state of our democracy itself. This decision will bring those politicians attention to
the fact that they too must act in accordance with the laws that govern us all and failing that
we should remove those politicians from office, and we do that by a ballot not a bullet. It is
called democracy and our responsibility.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Officer bubbles is not happy.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
what it looks to me like is, that you are threatening lethal force.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
That is the measure of responsibility, we as citizens are to protect our democracy with a
ballot so a bullet or bullets are never required. We watch TV news daily and we see where
the citizens failed to defend their society allowing dictators, and fanatics take control because
the people were too lazy to act until it was too late. Using the bullet or bullets demonstrates
a massive failure on the part of citizens even more than on the part of politicians.
We are responsible to elect people who believe in the concept of democracy and civil rights.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
what it looks to me like is, that you are threatening lethal force.

That is the measure of responsibility, we as citizens are to protect our democracy with a
ballot so a bullet or bullets are never required. We watch TV news daily and we see where
the citizens failed to defend their society allowing dictators, and fanatics take control because
the people were too lazy to act until it was too late. Using the bullet or bullets demonstrates
a massive failure on the part of citizens even more than on the part of politicians.
We are responsible to elect people who believe in the concept of democracy and civil rights.

Like Grumpy says, it should never come to that. But if someone ever removes the democratic process from the citizens I will be ready to rebel and use any force necessary. Would you stand by and let our country become a dictatorship without election? Isn't that what the rebels in Lybia are doing, fighting against a dictatorship?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
it is possible to implement change without the use of violence. This has been proven.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
it is possible to implement change without the use of violence. This has been proven.

Sure it is, tell that to all the Lybians.

The Tibetans have tried peacful resistance for how many generations now...still under Chinese control.

If you're OK with a dictatorial govt that's your decision, if you want to try to change such a govt by peacefully asking them to stop, have at it. I would choose different as would many others and has been done many times throughout history. There are times that call for violent rebellion in order to leave our children democracy rather than having our grandchildren still waiting for it.

But we should really get back to the topic of the thread and end this discussion here with an agreement to disagree.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
politicalnick I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think there is a time for action when there
is no other option. China remember ended up with a revolution and the Communists coming
to power because the folks who ran the place before them were worse that the Communists.
That is why bullets don't always solve the problems either, education is the key here for the
masses to be able to make the difference in their decisions.
You cited the Middle East, there again the people are poorly educated and therefore easily led
and it leads to a worse situation than they were in before Iran comes to mind as another example.
I do believe there is a time when such action is required but in most countries where education
is accessible such action is rarely required, but it is never out of the question anywhere.
Like I said though a ballot is a lot more preferable than bullets, and educated ballots are at the
forefront of ensuring democracy is maintained

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
politicalnick I don't necessarily disagree with you, I think there is a time for action when there
is no other option. China remember ended up with a revolution and the Communists coming
to power because the folks who ran the place before them were worse that the Communists.
That is why bullets don't always solve the problems either, education is the key here for the
masses to be able to make the difference in their decisions.
You cited the Middle East, there again the people are poorly educated and therefore easily led
and it leads to a worse situation than they were in before Iran comes to mind as another example.
I do believe there is a time when such action is required but in most countries where education
is accessible such action is rarely required, but it is never out of the question anywhere.
Like I said though a ballot is a lot more preferable than bullets, and educated ballots are at the
forefront of ensuring democracy is maintained

Hey I totally agree with you, I was simply stating before that I would be willing to fight to maintain a democracy. Or maybe a dictatorship if I get to be emperor..LOL

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I guess Mahatma Gandhi was just a fairy tale..... how stupid of me.

No Gerry, Gandhi was real. From a different time and place, but real none the less. I admire what he did but I, personally would rather behead the snake than try to get it to slither away in shame. Personal choice, that is all.

I guess you missed the bit about being of topic and just agreeing to disagrree huh?