Deer, goose make unlikely pair in US cemetery

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Can anyone tell I love animals!

BUFFALO, N.Y. - An unusual springtime friendship between a deer and a nesting goose appears to have blossomed inside a cemetery in Buffalo, New York.

For the past week or so, the deer has been standing near an urn where the goose has taken up residence, positioning itself between the urn and any passing car or foot traffic.
Craig Cygan noticed the unlikely pair during his regular patrols with his goose-chasing border collies. He says there is no mate around the goose and he believes the deer has taken over the job of protecting the nest.
Cornell University wildlife expert Paul Curtis says deer and geese usually don't pay any attention to each other.
Forest Lawn Cemetery officials are trying to arrange for a webcam so the curious can check in on the nest.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
This isn't really that rare. I live on a farm and I have seen cats adopt young rabbits, an Owl had a nest in the barn and her mate was killed when he ran into a power line and broke its neck. A lone Dove suddenly showed up (they mate for life) and was apparently morning the loss of the mate and helped the Owl. Usually an Owl will kill a Mourning Dove. Not in this case. I appreciate stories of this type. Isn't it funny how humans often can't get along and the animals find a way to coexist? I hope a web cam does get installed to monitor. In Redding, CA they have a web cam monitoring an Eagle's nest near a bridge crossing the Sacramento River.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Can anyone tell I love animals!

BUFFALO, N.Y. - An unusual springtime friendship between a deer and a nesting goose appears to have blossomed inside a cemetery in Buffalo, New York.

For the past week or so, the deer has been standing near an urn where the goose has taken up residence, positioning itself between the urn and any passing car or foot traffic.
Craig Cygan noticed the unlikely pair during his regular patrols with his goose-chasing border collies. He says there is no mate around the goose and he believes the deer has taken over the job of protecting the nest.
Cornell University wildlife expert Paul Curtis says deer and geese usually don't pay any attention to each other.
Forest Lawn Cemetery officials are trying to arrange for a webcam so the curious can check in on the nest.

Are there any pictures of this, Sparrow?:)