Canadian Soldier killed in Afghanistan

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Last Updated: Mar 27, 2011 11:45 PM ET

Cpl. Yannick Scherrer, 24, was killed by an improvised explosive device while on foot patrol in the Panjwaii district of Kandahar in Afghanistan on Sunday.
(National Defence)

A Canadian soldier has been killed by an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan.

Cpl. Yannick Scherrer, 24, was killed Sunday at about noon local time while on foot patrol with the Afghan National Army near Nakhonay, southwest of Kandahar city, when the IED exploded.

The Montreal native, who was on his first tour of duty in Afghanistan, was a member of the 1st Battalion, Royal 22nd Regiment and based in CFB Valcartier in Quebec.

"Our thoughts and deepest condolences go out to Cpl. Scherrer's family, and to the soldiers and friends who served alongside him," Brig.-Gen. Dean Milner, Canada's top soldier in Afghanistan, said in a statement Monday at Kandahar airfield.

"Canadians can be proud of the progress our soldiers have accomplished for the people of Kandahar province in Afghanistan. More work remains to be done."

Prime Minister Stephen Harper expressed his condolences to the soldier's friends and family.

"The relentless commitment of Cpl. Scherrer and other brave Canadians in Afghanistan is a source of pride to all Canadians," Harper said in a statement. "We will forever be grateful for the sacrifice made by Cpl. Scherrer."

Nakhonay, a battle-scarred village of about 1,000 people, has been the focus of intense counterinsurgency efforts by Canadian troops in the Panjwaii district of Kandahar province over the last year.

Condolences to the family of this fine young lad.

je me souviens

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
My sister will take another moment on the Liberty Street overpass.

Rest in Peace....

Her Facebook status today:

I was thinking just a couple of days ago that I hope there's never a need to stand on the Highway of Heroes overpasses again, but sadly I've just stood on the Bennett Rd. bridge to watch another motorcade go by. God bless our soldiers and their families! ♥

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Out of respect for your dead comrade, I`ll stop here, soldier.
It would only be good manners, regardless of what your opinion is on the War, to not post in these type of threads. That request is not unreasonable in my opinion.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The guy/gal says 'war is hell. What a waste'.

And for that you call him a scumbag?

Lighten up.

I saw nothing disrespectful in the comment.

and you haven't been around long enough to understand the context, so it's you that needs to lighten up and butt out.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Its my opinion, the whole 155(?) that have given thier lives for our gov`s decision to kiss US ass, has been a waste, Goober.

May they all rest in peace.

It would only be good manners, regardless of what your opinion is on the War, to not post in these type of threads. That request is not unreasonable in my opinion.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
I feel for all the families that have lost loved ones in the us of g wars, we lost a local lad a couple of months back. I say bring em home and let the states fight their own battles!!!, afterall, they started them!!!!!!

McRocket

Nominee Member
Mar 24, 2011
I hope the wars are over before my sons get involved. One of them just put a uniform on. He's government meat now. I hope they spend him wisely.

relax, you expressed yourself tactfully enough, in my opinion

Thank you and I sincerely hope you get your wish.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

It is very unreasonable in my opinion. In fact throttling opinions about the true losses of war contribute to war in general and more specifically in the Canadian experience to current and near future combat requirements censors objections where necessary. Demand for boot fillers is on the rise. It would be better manners not to invade and occupy the target nations.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
you want to raise objections to war, create a thread specific to that. Memorial threads are not the place, unless you're a troll and your only real purpose is to disrupt.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It is very unreasonable in my opinion. In fact throttling opinions about the true losses of war contribute to war in general and more specifically in the Canadian experience to current and near future combat requirements censors objections where necessary. Demand for boot fillers is on the rise. It would be better manners not to invade and occupy the target nations.
As Gerry h states - this is a memorial Thread - Is it possible to leave all the other aside. Lots of threads that are available to voice you opinion.
We should not behave like those wacko's in the States that harass grieving Families of Soldiers killed, now would we.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Rest in peace, Mr. Scherrer.:-(

I am going to remove any of the disrespectful posts in this thread. This is a young man that lost his life in service to his country, and he deserves to be shown respect for that.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
"This is a young man that lost his life in service to his country".....

its this line I have trouble with.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
jesus christ....why not dedicate a thread to those coming home in flag-draped coffins, `Highway Of Heros` if its a certainty we should expect more, before its all over?

QUOTE=shadowshiv;1402875]That is fine. Just create a different thread if you want to talk about it.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: