How to help Japan

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
I know this will probably be obvious common sense to most, but there's something about the political process which hammers that out of the heads of so many victorious candidates...

Therefore yer honorables... just in case caucus is sitting in a state of mental vapor lock from Harpo having told you to shut up so many times you've forgotten you can still think for yourselves while ducking reports, here's what to do:

Japan has the skills, the talent, the human vitality, the organization, the ability, the effort, the energy *and* the money to do *anything*, including recover from a seriously wicked earthquake.

Keep in mind, this is the only country in the world to have been nuked - twice - and had been so bombed by conventional forces that they say even if she hadn't surrendered after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, that ordinary bombing missions would have run out of targets by the end of September (she surrendered on the 2nd September, so she was just a month away from being bombed into rubble even before it was decided to use the nukes).

The only thing the Japanese archipelago lacks is basic raw materials.

Send her iron ore (you don't have to refine it into iron or steel), coal, raw asphalt, logs (might as well do something with all those trees doomed to die from pine beetles) bauxite, copper ore, tin ore, lead ore, zinc ore, unrefined potash, cotton... *anything*... and of course, some raw crude oil.

Keep it simple. Just scoop as much of any rock that looks like it has a colour indicative of the presence of a metal and dump it in front of them.

She'll take it from there, and will have everything rebuilt in less than a year thank you very much.

It's the cheapest way to help them, and frankly, her economy's been in the doldrums lately.

Most of them - the survivors anyway - will be happy to have something to do.

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think I would wait a while before sending raw materials. Especially crude oil, since the issue is the refineries have shut down, not that they have a shortage of crude oil.

There's no point in sending raw materials to a country that is shut down dealing with a disaster like this - once they get the power plant under control, and start cleaning up, they'll be just fine. Japan won't need much help, once they have their nuke plant sorted out.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think I would wait a while before sending raw materials. Especially crude oil, since the issue is the refineries have shut down, not that they have a shortage of crude oil.

There's no point in sending raw materials to a country that is shut down dealing with a disaster like this - once they get the power plant under control, and start cleaning up, they'll be just fine. Japan won't need much help, once they have their nuke plant sorted out.

I suppose. She has enough money saved up to buy all the resources she'll need to rebuild...

It just bugs me. Other nations get kicked and they roll over with a whimper, begging for support.

Have you ever seen a people take it in the teeth like that and so rebound.

Is it just me who feels like those are the kind of people *worth* helping out when in crisis?

Besides, it just feels like natural good neighbor behavior to want to help each other out when someone's in trouble.

Have they asked for *anything*?!?

Last edited: