Woman left on Whistler gondola overnight*snicker*

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
The woman boarded the Excalibur Gondola between 5:30 and 6 p.m. last Tuesday at the Mid-Station, intending to ride down to the village. Instead, she got into a car heading up the mountain.

While the lower section of the lift is open until 8 p.m., the upper line on which she was riding is shut down earlier.

She remained in the cabin for more than 13 hours. Environment Canada data shows the temperature at Whistler descended to nearly -8C around midnight. The woman had no mobile phone with which to call for help.

She was not rescued until the lift began running again the following morning, and she alighted at the top. The resort said she was in good health, and was checked out by lift operators and the ski patrol.

Full article

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
They're lucky that she didn't die. As it is, I imagine that some sort of litigation will be forthcoming.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
At the same time we have to remember we are no longer living in 1998. Purposely burning the roof of your mouth with McDonald's coffee and winning a million dollar lawsuit doesn't happen anymore.

Also, people no longer want to screw around with lawyers as; despite a generous payout, most of the payout is consumed in legal fees.

I can forsee a compensation in the thousands but otherwise don't expect an instant millionaire.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Being left in potentially life-threatening temperatures wouldn't be valid? People have successfully sued for less.

I would have to know how she got on there first. I worked at Whistler from 89-91 and there are procedures to prevent just this type of thing from happening.

I guess she either walked past some closed signs and barriers or a lift operator was not paying attention. If the latter she may have a suit for negligence but with no injuries or anything it would not get a huge award.

At the same time we have to remember we are no longer living in 1998. Purposely burning the roof of your mouth with McDonald's coffee and winning a million dollar lawsuit doesn't happen anymore.
QUOTE]

I love seeing this reference. If your talking about the 75 year old lady that claimed she 'didn't know the coffee would be hot' and was awarded 7 million.

She got millions and it was headline news...when her award was reduced on appeal to $3000 + medical costs it was in the back pages of 3 newspapers.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I would have to know how she got on there first. I worked at Whistler from 89-91 and there are procedures to prevent just this type of thing from happening.

I guess she either walked past some closed signs and barriers or a lift operator was not paying attention. If the latter she may have a suit for negligence but with no injuries or anything it would not get a huge award.

The operator was fired as they did not follow proper procedure. This was not her fault, so she could get money if she was so inclined.

Tenpenny: I never said that she would sue for millions. She could sue for a lot less than that. Even if she ended up getting a few thousand dollars!

I love seeing this reference. If your talking about the 75 year old lady that claimed she 'didn't know the coffee would be hot' and was awarded 7 million.

She got millions and it was headline news...when her award was reduced on appeal to $3000 + medical costs it was in the back pages of 3 newspapers.

This is the first time I've heard about her getting that reduced settlement. Thanks for letting me know. Glad to see that she didn't get all of that money.:)

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
There you go then...the operator is at fault.

My guess would be they will offer her a couple of grand and a seasons pass.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
There you go then...the operator is at fault.

My guess would be they will offer her a couple of grand and a seasons pass.

I imagine that would be fine for her, as it doesn't sound like she has any permanent injuries. If she had died or suffered dire injuries(frostbite-induced amputations, etc.) I imagine that the lawsuit would have more of a chance happening(by this, I mean a full-blown lawsuit for large amounts of money).

Of course, I wonder if she would even want a season's pass after this.;)

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
It is amazing to me that the author of this thread finds this amusing. And that others support this viewpoint.

Oh well, I can only surmise that some of you have no real brain at all. You are all muscle and hormones, controlled by nothing much.

Personally, I do NOT find it funny that the operators of this system would leave the cars in a position somewhere in between, and go off for the night. Just imagine for a moment that this woman had a couple of young children with her. Would you find it as funny if a child died of hypothermia?

That would be a real yuckfest, wouldn't it?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
It is amazing to me that the author of this thread finds this amusing. And that others support this viewpoint.

Oh well, I can only surmise that some of you have no real brain at all. You are all muscle and hormones, controlled by nothing much.

Personally, I do NOT find it funny that the operators of this system would leave the cars in a position somewhere in between, and go off for the night. Just imagine for a moment that this woman had a couple of young children with her. Would you find it as funny if a child died of hypothermia?

That would be a real yuckfest, wouldn't it?

I only see one comment on here with anything like humor in it referencing a mobile phone.

FYI - they have no choice but to leave cars hanging on the cable....do you expect them to be detached and put away every night. You have over a hundred cars on a few miles of cable but they should be stored for safety reasons...right!!!

Your generalized attack on anyone that posted on here is completely offensive. Maybe you should read your own post and exert some control over your muscle and hormone before using blanket statements.

No-one would laugh if a child died...no-one would be laughing if the woman died....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I only see one comment on here with anything like humor in it referencing a mobile phone.

FYI - they have no choice but to leave cars hanging on the cable....do you expect them to be detached and put away every night. You have over a hundred cars on a few miles of cable but they should be stored for safety reasons...right!!!

Your generalized attack on anyone that posted on here is completely offensive. Maybe you should read your own post and exert some control over your muscle and hormone before using blanket statements.

No-one would laugh if a child died...no-one would be laughing if the woman died....

I do believe the fact that the thread title contains *snicker* is the basis of his ire. alley clearly found it amusing.