high winds expected today

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm a little concerned about our big trees. We are expecting winds gusting to 110 kph this
morning. We have several large Douglas Fir trees that will be at risk and I'm pretty
sure our roof wouldn:roll::smile:'t support an extra ten tons of tree falling on it. Maybe we'll go out
for the day.....

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
The peak is around noon. I will wait to see what it's like. The power could also go out (which would not be good for me)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The wind storm in 2006 that knocked down a thousand trees in Stanley Park was a hundred
kph. Right now the winds are 40 to 50 kph.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
pretty scary, all of those trees, sure hope no one gets hurt.

we'll have to drive out to the ocean and have a look, will be wild.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
pretty scary, all of those trees, sure hope no one gets hurt.

we'll have to drive out to the ocean and have a look, will be wild.
I didn't hear about anyone being injured in the Vancouver Windstorm in 2006. I
haven't seen Stanley Park for a long time. My son tells me that Stanley Park
is hard to recognize without all the big trees.

With that kind of wind the wave action should be impressive.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
I was in Vancouver during the 2006 storm and we were lucky but the neighbourhood looks a bit different with trees down everywhere and some blocks had no power for 16 hours.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
I'm in Kits and I'm <censored> because my car is parked on the street with trees everywhere..

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I was in Vancouver during the 2006 storm and we were lucky but the neighbourhood looks a bit different with trees down everywhere and some blocks had no power for 16 hours.
The wind is starting to pick up. Today is garbage day and one of my neighbor's garbage
cans just rolled down the street.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I must be in the "calm before the storm" because its almost noon, and its very quiet here in North Van...
I checked and the wind warning is still up. We have almost no wind at the moment.
Maybe we are in the eye of the storm.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
I'm in Kits and I'm <censored> because my car is parked on the street with trees everywhere..

Not egging you but I remember a few cars hit by trees... none of them smashed to a cinderblock or anything but minor damage from small and midsized trees.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here is a satilite photo showing western B.C.: It looks like the storm might be a couple hours away

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In Surrey we had some stormy weather earlier and it rained hard, but now it's sunny and just a bit windy. Kinda warm too, which is nice. Sudden dark heavy rain followed by warm sun and birds chirping. It felt like early spring. :)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Once again the weather forecast is inaccurate for my area. No wind. None whatsoever and I've been waiting all day!!!

It looks like that wind storm kind of fizzled. We got nothing. I'm a bit relieved.
On the island the root systems are very shallow and it doesn't take a lot to
push over Douglas Firs.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The wind is starting to pick up. Today is garbage day and one of my neighbor's garbage
cans just rolled down the street.

You'd think they would not put the garbage out when a high-wind advisory has been issued.

Once again the weather forecast is inaccurate for my area. No wind. None whatsoever and I've been waiting all day!!!

You should be thankful for that. Who knows what damage the wind may have caused.;)