Keep the Monarchy!

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Why would we want to keep the Monarchy? Well, although the Queen doesn't actually reign over the Government of Canada the Monarchy is a strong connection to our heritage as Canadian's. While there are revisionists who will want to erase Canada's connection to its British roots it is best that we maintain an interest in where we came from. Let us not forget the soldiers who fouight and died at the Somme, Ypres, Vimy Ridge. Canada's heritage is not completely spotless, but it seems there are those who would suppress our achievements while dwelling on the past.

The hard line separtists' in Quebec seem all too willing to have us abandon our English heritage while crying that theirs should be defended with Language Laws and censorship. Those who think that it will save money for us to DUMP THE MONARCHY are living in a bubble. The cost of doing so will result in a complete overhaul of our military and police forces uniforms, rank structures, isignia's, code of arms. Forget the renaming of The Queen Elizabeth Way, but the removal of the Garter crests bearing ER will be huge cost. Then of course our currency which is stamped with the Queens picture on everything from coin, to bill, to stamp.

Oh and let us not forget our parliamentary system which would have to be revamped, because it's based on the British System and the Governor General of course will have to go.

Will we adopt the US system with a Senate and a Congress? Did I just hear a vein pop in Gerryh's head?

From where I stand we should just keep them. Getting rid of them in a costly endeavor and the way I see it Harry is going to be an awesome King's Brother.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Chris has got you brainwashed

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Taxslave who wants even more taxes. You go girl!

Thats MR. Taxslave to you sonny. And I want lower taxes and less bureaucracy which is one of many reasons to dump the inbred royals. Besides which it is highly embarrassing to have to ask a foreigner to approve any laws we make. Most third world countries don't even have to stoop that low.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What happens when the Queen dies? She's reigned for almost 60 years. Her face is on all kinds of ****. Her heir is male. We'd have to change all that "Her Majesty" to "His Majesty". We should just keep the Queen forever, like North Korea does with Kim Il-Sung. Maybe have her embalmed and stuffed and propped up for throne speeches. God save the Zombie Queen!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I can't help it.

My family were Loyalists....both sides.

My father-in-law, born in Massachusetts but brought up in Lunenburg, NS........was a combat veteran of World War Two, having served in the Canadian Army. (although he was a US citizen) Before he died he insisted his coffin be draped with the Union Jack, because he "fought for King and country, Dammit"

My Mom is the greatest monarchist on the east coast. And that is saying something... :)

Keep the Monarchy....it is no trouble, it is our heritage, and many of us actually LIKE it......

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
you really are a moron, aren't you. I don't get mad at idiots. I feel sorry for the mentally deficient ones, like you.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I'm against monarchy. It's just ridiculous to me to have the sex lives of British royals have any form of impact on our politics.

To me it's just an old relic of an old worldview that has come to pass. And it seems to me that Canada should be mature enough to move on to something more representative of our times. But that's just my point of view.

And no Gerry, I'm not moving anywhere.

If you folks like monarchy then good for you. It's your country as well as mine and we're all entitled to our opinions.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Retired_Can_Soldier;Oh and let us not forget our parliamentary system which would have to be revamped said:
___________________________________________________________________________________
I agree with you wholeheartedly, I am proud of my heritage, and proud of having a canada, and will not
forget why we have a canada, it was fought for, and protected and developed for all of us to enjoy,
a beautiful land, and the monarchy was our beginning, and I will not throw them away now.

Maybe for all of those who do not have british heritage, (i am english and irish), I imagine they
just don't have the emotional connection, and the ancestry to remind them where we came from, my
grandfather had the freedom of the city of london.
He moved his family to canada in l910, and fought in world war one as well. He was a devoted
british subject, loved the monarchy, and we all knew where we came from, and where this country
came from as well.

I see no reason whatsoever to toss them aside, just because some don't want to be bothered with
them.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Will we adopt the US system with a Senate and a Congress? Did I just hear a vein pop in Gerryh's head?

Oh man! I had to laugh at that one. Lucky I don't have drinks with me at the computer!

Nothing like a useless bitch spewing her uneducated crap all over the place. You don't like it here? Don't like our form of government? Don't like our history? Don't like our traditions? Then fu ck off and go live some where else.

Do you take medicine for that Tourettes?

That aside, I won't deny that I'm more of a monarchist than a republican.

Yeah yeah, I know, and I'm French-Canadian too! Remember though that the French had a monarch too once, eh! And quite frankly, there probably is some of that French blood flowing through the veins of the head of the Commonwealth.

To be honest though, I think I'd rather turn to an elective monarchy, but only if all other Commonwealth Realms agree to it too, since sharing such a common monarch also strengthens the bonds of friendship and family between the Commonwealth Realms too.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Maybe for all of those who do not have british heritage, (i am english and irish), I imagine they
just don't have the emotional connection, and the ancestry to remind them where we came from,

Hmmmm, since my "heritage" is French and First Nations, how do you explain my complete support for the Monarchy in Canada?

and just so you know, none of my family is so recent to Canada as 1910. Try [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]September 22, 1653.[/FONT]

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hmmmm, since my "heritage" is French and First Nations, how do you explain my complete support for the Monarchy in Canada?

and just so you know, none of my family is so recent to Canada as 1910. Try [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]September 22, 1653.[/FONT]

that's great, and french is canadian too, and first nations is more canadian than any of us, so I was just making an assumption not giving facts, and I still
assume many do not have the connection because they have no emotional memories, or family connected to the british, but that doesn't mean 'all', of course.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Scary.Gerryh and I have similar 'heritages' and have been hanging around North America for about as long. And we both support monarchy, at least in principle.

Scary!

that's great, and french is canadian too, and first nations is more canadian than any of us, so I was just making an assumption not giving facts, and I still
assume many do not have the connection because they have no emotional memories, or family connected to the british, but that doesn't mean 'all', of course.

You should consider though that some might support monarchy for very different reasons other than 'tradition'. Even if Canada were a republic, I'd actually support switching over to some form of constitutional monarchy, preferably an elective monarchy, owing to certain practical (in terms of stability) and symbolic (in terms of identity) that it can contribute to the strengthening of national bonds over a republic. In such a constitutional monarchy, the monarch is non-partisan and so can represent all the people, unlike in a republic where the president is at higher risk of being partisan and so not as likely to be able to rally the people when necessary.

Also, for those who think all monarchists support monarchy strictly on traditional grounds, consider that a monarchist movement continues to exist in France today.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Canadianism makes as much sense as the "Soviet People" project in the former Soviet Union, a pseduo-nationalism with no basis in history and culture is not sustainable in the long run and we reminders of this with Harper's "Quebec is a nation within [the Empire of] Canada" statement and the cultural differences between Western Canada and Eastern Canada are immense and will assert themselves in the long run.

Waiting for the Ottawa monster to die so all people in Canada; even the First Nations, are allowed to express a cultural independence free from centralized bureaucracy.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Canadianism makes as much sense as the "Soviet People" project in the former Soviet Union, a pseduo-nationalism with no basis in history and culture is not sustainable in the long run and we reminders of this with Harper's "Quebec is a nation within [the Empire of] Canada" statement and the cultural differences between Western Canada and Eastern Canada are immense and will assert themselves in the long run.

Waiting for the Ottawa monster to die so all people in Canada; even the First Nations, are allowed to express a cultural independence free from centralized bureaucracy.

I'm definitely pro-decentralization if that's what you're getting at. Without a doubt Canada comprises many people and has done so throughout its history. I see decentralization as the only way to maintain the unity of this country in the long term precisely in recognition of so many varying traditions.

As for nationalism, let's not confuse that with patriotism. I'm a patriot, not a nationalist.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
A patriot loves the war in Afghanistan and loves how Ontario steals money from the Western Provinces and forces us to learn French and force us to print French on everything.

Damn straight I am not a Patriot. Boot Toronto and the French out of Canada, return the Red Ensign and drop the Fleur de lis from the Red Ensign flag.
The armpit and Quebec loves their Marxist Politicians; why not build an eternal paradise on your own?