Too many deaths in the back country.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
For the past several years we've heard of many deaths caused by avalanches, many of which happened in the Rocky and Selkirk Mountains. Hardly a week passes that we don't hear of dire warnings on the radio and other media. Why is it that people won't heed these warnings of almost certain death? To me and many others it doesn't seem to be rocket science that you can't be causing vibrations when the snow is unstable, yet many will blunder right on out there. It's just so sad as most of the victims are young people. I've always maintained that smart people learn from other's mistakes.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Adrenaline is a highly addictive drug. Many people are addicted to it, the thrill of the ride. For some it is their downfall. I do not feel sorry for them. They die doing what they love. I feel sorry for the suffering they cause those who survive them, but that is what happens when we put our own please ahead of everybody else's.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Good analogy, that thought also crossed my mind.

they can go out to kill themselves if they want, but drinking and driving is
putting the innocent at risk too, other than themselves, not the same in my
opinion.

we have talked about 'why' do these people do this each and every year, only
one answer we can come up with, 'stupidity'.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
they can go out to kill themselves if they want, but drinking and driving is
putting the innocent at risk too, other than themselves, not the same in my
opinion.

we have talked about 'why' do these people do this each and every year, only
one answer we can come up with, 'stupidity'.

Not a lot of difference Talloola, the search and rescue people are put at risk every time they are called out.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Not a lot of difference Talloola, the search and rescue people are put at risk every time they are called out.

yes, they do have to take the risk, but they are trained in what they do, the public either walking
or driving on a public street, don't have an inkling that some drunk is driving his 'weapon' directly
toward them.

I agree with you half way lol lol

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Why is it that people won't heed these warnings of almost certain death?
Ever heard of something called Free Will?

Every time some meatheads kill themselves the interwebs are flooded with nanny threads as per OP.

As long as no other lives are put @ risk I can't see caring about fools-of course I'm not a nanny.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yes, they do have to take the risk, but they are trained in what they do, the public either walking
or driving on a public street, don't have an inkling that some drunk is driving his 'weapon' directly
toward them.

I agree with you half way lol lol

Your point is valid.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
And again we see nature is her majestic way weeding out the slow weaker prey from the pack in a morbid ritual repeated as opportunity present itself.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
To many people think they are Indians Jones. Most like a nice easy hike in the woods, but you have to know your limitations. Mountains are a whole other game. (then there are the cougars and bears)Most young people have no idea what they are doing, if they did the search and rescue teams would be out of jobs. They are fantastic the way they work.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
To many people think they are Indians Jones. Most like a nice easy hike in the woods, but you have to know your limitations. Mountains are a whole other game. (then there are the cougars and bears)Most young people have no idea what they are doing, if they did the search and rescue teams would be out of jobs. They are fantastic the way they work.

Shut up I am Indians Jones! Just check out my wib!

The cougars I am cool with but the Bears ain't scared o my wib so I don't wanna play wit dem! 8O

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun

you have no idea how many still think climbing up a tree is the best defense against bears :lol: :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Adrenaline is a highly addictive drug. Many people are addicted to it, the thrill of the ride. For some it is their downfall. I do not feel sorry for them. They die doing what they love. I feel sorry for the suffering they cause those who survive them, but that is what happens when we put our own please ahead of everybody else's.
It's not about adrenaline it's about low MAO levels. Be glad they are in the mountains getting thrills from sport and adventure rather than crime. Criminals have the same brain chemistry as those who seek thrills by tempting fate of nature.

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
For the past several years we've heard of many deaths caused by avalanches, many of which happened in the Rocky and Selkirk Mountains. Hardly a week passes that we don't hear of dire warnings on the radio and other media. Why is it that people won't heed these warnings of almost certain death? To me and many others it doesn't seem to be rocket science that you can't be causing vibrations when the snow is unstable, yet many will blunder right on out there. It's just so sad as most of the victims are young people. I've always maintained that smart people learn from other's mistakes.

Fathers and sons are dying on the slopes. They are not all young and full of rampant testosterone. Drugs and/or alcohol are often involved but the macho man syndrome prevails more than anything.

Such a lack of responsibility leaving wives and children on their own to cope and taking a son along for the death ride. It does not make sense because there is no sense involved.

We live on the lower mainland and hear about off duty ski patrol guys skiing out of bounds in dangerous areas, dying and leaving young wife and children without his continuing support. Signs are posted all over the mountains but are ignored.

People going beyond the WARNING signs posted all over Lynn Valley canyon die every year. They ignore the warnings to do what they please.

Our society is incredibly self-indulgent, irresponsible and arrogant. After they die their families try to cash in and make loads of money to assauge their grief but the onus is only upon the ones who choose not to obey the rules and they are dead.

This phenomena will not stop.

Some of the reasons why:
Extreme self-indulgence: I will do whatever I please whenever I please.
Also a unrealistic sense of entitlement: because I deserve to have whatever I want when I want it.
Final reasons: immaturity, sheer stupidity and carelessness.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Fathers and sons are dying on the slopes. They are not all young and full of rampant Our society is incredibly self-indulgent, irresponsible and arrogant. After they die their families try to cash in and make loads of money to assauge their grief but the onus is only upon the ones who choose not to obey the rules and they are dead.

This phenomena will not stop.

Some of the reasons why:
Also a unrealistic sense of entitlement: because I deserve to have whatever I want when I want it.
Final reasons: immaturity, sheer stupidity and carelessness.

I agree with all of your points, good post.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quote: Originally Posted by Elder Some of the reasons why:

Where did they ever get that idea?