40 crowned heads to attend William and Kate's big day, to be watched by 3 billion

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Prince William and Kate Middleton have sent around 1,900 gold-embossed wedding invitations around the world for the Friday 29th April ceremony (I checked in my mail box and, unfortunately, I haven't got one) and over a half of the wedding guests - about 1,000 - will be friends of the Royal couple. The ceremony is expected to be watched by the largest TV audience in history.

The Queen has personally invited 40 monarchs from the other monarchies around the world, including some from the troubled Middle East. Among the surprise invitees are King Abdullah II of Jordan, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan of Abu Dhabi, the Sultan of Oman, King Hamad ibn Isa Al Khalifa of Bahrain, the Sultan of Brunei and King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia.

Other monarchs invited are Emperor Akihito of Japan, King Yang Di of Malaysia, King Siaosi Tupou V of Tonga and King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX) of Thailand.

Although the crowned heads have yet to formally accept, and the King of Thailand is said to be too ill to attend, a senior source within the Foreign Office described it as a high proportion of crowned heads for a wedding that is not being treated as a state wedding.

The anti-British US President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle are understood not to have received a wedding invitation, although they have been invited to Buckingham Palace for a state visit in May in what is being seen as a ‘sweetener’.

Also invited are more than 200 members of the Government, Parliament and diplomatic corps. Prime Minister David Cameron, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Leader of the Opposition Ed Miliband will all attend, along with key members of the Cabinet, as well as 60 governors-general and Commonwealth prime ministers.

The guest list also comprises approximately 80 guests drawn from the charities and organisations of which William is a patron as part of the couple’s intention for it to be a wedding for the British people.

The invitation, issued in the name of the Queen – reads: ‘The Lord Chamberlain is commanded by The Queen to invite. . . to the marriage of His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales, K.G., with Miss Catherine Middleton at Westminster Abbey on Friday, 29th April, 2011 at 11.00am.

‘A reply is requested to State Invitations Secretary, Lord Chamberlain’s Office, Buckingham Palace.’

Gentlemen are required to wear uniform, morning coat or lounge suit. There is no dress code for female guests, although ladies will be required to wear a hat for the wedding service.

It is expected that around 3 BILLION people - 45% of the world's population - will watch the ceremony on TV. That will be the largest TV audience in the history of mankind, just beating the current record - the 2.5 billion who watched the funeral of Princess Diana in September 1997.

Up to 12 plasma screens are to be erected inside London's Westminster Abbey, where the wedding is being held.

The layout of the 900-year-old building means only people sitting near the front will witness them exchanging vows.

Guests further back will watch screens at the front and sides of the abbey on April 29 – getting the same view as people at home.

28.4 million viewers in Britain watched the 1981 wedding of Charles and Di on TV, but this year's TV audience will probably easily exceed that. The biggest ever TV audience in Britain is 32 million, who watched the 1966 World Cup Final between England and West Germany.

It's a VERY Royal Wedding: 40 crowned heads to attend William and Kate's big day

By Katie Nicholl
20th February 2011
Daily Mail

• 1,000 of Will and Kate’s friends to attend (but there’s no room for the Obamas)
  • David Beckham refuses to confirm or deny attendance

Westminster Abbey: Where the wedding is taking place

The gold-embossed invitations to the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton finally landed on doormats around the world this weekend after the couple spent weeks agonising over the guest list.

Close to 1,900 guests have been invited to Westminster Abbey on Friday, April 29 – and more than half will be friends of the couple, The Mail on Sunday has been told.

William and his bride-to-be have been allowed to invite more than 1,000 of their friends, by far the largest proportion of guests who will attend the service and the post-wedding breakfast at Buckingham Palace. Invitations were sent out via Royal Mail last Wednesday and Thursday.

Elegant: The Royal wedding invitation

David and Victoria Beckham are widely tipped to have been invited but a spokesman for the couple refused to confirm this today saying it was private matter.

The Mail on Sunday has been told that the Queen has personally invited 40 crowned heads from around the world – including the Middle East, despite the tumult sweeping the region – as well as the expected crowned heads of Europe.

Among the surprise invitees are the King of Jordan, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, the Sultan of Oman, the King of Bahrain, the Sultan of Brunei and the King of Saudi Arabia as well as the Emperor of Japan, the King of Malaysia, the King of Tonga and the King of Thailand.

On the guestlist: King Siaosi Tupou V of Tonga and Malaysian King Yang Di

Although the crowned heads have yet to formally accept, and the King of Thailand is said to be too ill to attend, a senior source within the Foreign Office described it as a high proportion of crowned heads for a wedding that is not being treated as a state wedding.

US President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle are understood not to have received a wedding invitation, although they have been invited to Buckingham Palace for a state visit in May in what is being seen as a ‘sweetener’.

The invitations are on thick white card measuring 8in by 6in, bevelled, gilded and stamped with EIIR in gold which has then been burnished.

No invite: The Obamas have been invited for a state visit as a 'sweetener'

Classic and elegant, the black text on the invitation – which has been issued in the name of the Queen – reads: ‘The Lord Chamberlain is commanded by The Queen to invite. . . to the marriage of His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales, K.G., with Miss Catherine Middleton at Westminster Abbey on Friday, 29th April, 2011 at 11.00am.

‘A reply is requested to State Invitations Secretary, Lord Chamberlain’s Office, Buckingham Palace.’

Gentlemen are required to wear uniform, morning coat or lounge suit. There is no dress code for female guests, although ladies will be required to wear a hat for the wedding service.

Clarence House confirmed that more than 50 members of the Royal Family have been invited along with 40 members of foreign royalty.

Getting ready for the big day: Prince William and Kate Middleton

More than 200 members of the Government, Parliament and diplomatic corps have been invited. The Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition will all attend, along with key members of the Cabinet. Also invited are 60 governors-general and Commonwealth prime ministers.

The guest list, which Clarence House has said it will not release ahead of the wedding, also comprises approximately 80 guests drawn from the charities and organisations of which William is a patron as part of the couple’s intention for it to be a wedding for the British people.

The largest British TV audience ever is the 32 million who watched England beat West Germany in the 1966 World Cup Final. This year's Royal Wedding may easily outstrip that.

Just 600 guests have been invited to the wedding breakfast hosted by the Queen at Buckingham Palace after the service. Crowned heads will attend along with the British Royal Family, Miss Middleton’s family and the couple’s friends.

A source said: ‘The wedding day has always been about William and Kate celebrating with their friends. It is what they have wanted from the start. There has been some surprise at the number of crowned heads who have been invited.’

Busy lady: A member of the Lord Chamberlain's Office inserts Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding invitations into envelopes at Buckingham Palace

The Queen, who made a state visit to Oman and Abu Dhabi last year, believes the wedding invitations will be good for diplomatic relations between Britain and the Middle East and will be a vital meet-and-greet opportunity for the couple, who are to undertake their first overseas tour to Canada in June.

As The Mail on Sunday has reported, the couple have invited 300 family and friends to an evening reception at Buckingham Palace.

There has been at least one high-profile omission from the Abbey guest list. The Duchess of York, who was last night hosting a 51st birthday party for her ex-husband Prince Andrew at Royal Lodge, Windsor, has been snubbed by the Royal Household.

A Palace spokesman said: ‘We are not commenting on individuals.’

The King's Speech and our obsession with the royal fairytale

19/02/2011
The Daily Mirror
Tony Parsons

British films like The King's Speech and the Royal Wedding mania gripping the country show that 21st century Britain is further away than ever from abolishing the monarchy.

By the time my dad met King George VI in 1945, the monarch’s stutter was under control.

So much so that, as the King pinned the Distinguished Service Medal to my old man’s naval uniform, the two sailors indulged in a bit of banter.

KING GEORGE VI: You’ve done very well, Parsons.

MY DAD: You haven’t done so bad yourself.

How they laughed!

And how richly deserved were the seven Baftas picked up by The King’s Speech last Sunday.

Colin Firth gives a career defining performance, but everything about the film touches the heart. There are films I have liked just as much – The Town, The Kids Are All Right, True Grit – but no film moved me more deeply.

Rather than a film about posh people in palaces, The King’s Speech is a story of friendship, bravery and humanity.

There is cruelty – the stuttering Bertie is mocked just once in the movie, but that is by his beloved older brother – and it makes the bullying all the more ­devastating.

And The King’s Speech helped me to better understand the relationship between the British people and the monarchy.

Much of the terrible tension of the film comes when the British people are staring at Colin Firth’s Bertie, waiting to see if he will manage to get the words out. They want to know what happens next.

And that is surely the key to our fascination with our kings, queens, princes and princesses.

My eight-year-old daughter sings a song about the six wives of Henry VIII. “Divorced, beheaded and died,” she croons in her sweet voice. “Divorced, beheaded, survived.”

Five hundred years on and we are still gripped by the never-ending story of our monarchy.

As Colin prepares for the Oscars, and as Willie prepares to marry his Kate, we still want to know how the story turns out.

And 21st century Britain is further away than ever from abolishing the monarchy.

dailymail.co.uk
mirror.co.uk

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Crowned heads, will they sit on rented arses? Three billion to watch! That's a royal exageration if I've ever seen one.

So, I gather you will be exercising your right not to watch. Maybe you could do some of us the favour of exercising your right not to comment on this event period.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

And 21st century Britain is further away than ever from abolishing the monarchy.

And with this wedding, Canada too I'm sure. Let's hope Charles lives a very long time and embarrasses himself repeatedly, giving William and Kate ample time to get old and fat, their children amble time to make asses of themselves and Canada amble time to grow up and toss them all out.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
So, I gather you will be exercising your right not to watch. Maybe you could do some of us the favour of exercising your right not to comment on this even period.
I will be exercising every day without regard to you or your feelings on this or any other matter.

[/LEFT]
[/COLOR]
And with this wedding, Canada too I'm sure. Let's hope Charles lives a very long time and embarrasses himself repeatedly, giving William and Kate ample time to get old and fat, their children amble time to make asses of themselves and Canada amble time to grow up and toss them all out.

There is hope for a free Canadian future, one which does not include adulation of the remnants of imperial excess and their matrimonial buffoonery. They are royal robbers living on the accumulated misery of generations of murder and slavery. The world owes them nothing but justice.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I am looking forward to this wonderful wedding. William did not choose where and what he was
going to be before he was born, he is what he is, and seems to be a very good person under all
of the pomp and attention he 'has' to live with.

I wish both of them well, and a long and happy married life, with lots of little royals running
around the house to complete their lives.

I will follow the wedding plans all the way thru, it is quite exciting and much more sincere than
any hollywood wedding that seems to last about 2 weeks, i'm sure these two will be together for
a long time and show the world what a true marriage really is, even under the spy glasses of
the rest of the world.

Williams mother would be proud of him right now, and she would love Kate.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
[/LEFT]
[/COLOR]

and there are those of us that are hoping that Charles steps aside for William to become OUR next King and hope that he reigns as well, at least, as his Grandmother did and for as many years.

The Monarchy is the rock that our Countries were built on. The foundation that keeps you and I free.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
I won't be watching, don't care to..

makes me wonder, why couldn't they have just said "I'd like a private wedding, no tv no cameras"

why does everyone feel the need to have a huge audience?

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Cousin Elizabeth didn't send ME an invitation. I am 23rd cousin to Elizabeth, and 16th cousin to William (through his mother). Of course, there ARE about a million of us at that level of family relationship!