Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness was due to take flight that crashed in Cork killing six

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister Martin McGuiness should have been on the plane that crashed in Cork, the Irish Republic's second largest city, this morning, killing six people.

McGuinness, a member of the anti-UK republican party Sinn Fein, which was once the political wing of terrorist organisation the IRA, had hoped to fly from George Best Belfast Airport in the UK to Cork Airport in the south of the Irish Republic - a journey he had made many times before - to campaign around the city for the Irish Republic's upcoming General Election but made different arrangements. The General Election comes after the Irish Republic's Prime Minister (Taoiseach) Brian Cowen announced he is to step down.

The light aircraft, a part of the Isle of Man's national airline, was making its third attempt at landing in heavy fog just before 10am when it struck the run way and catapulted into the air.

Moment later the plane flipped over in mid-air before crashing onto its roof 1,000ft down the runway as flames engulfed the front of the plane.

McGuinness said: 'This is a route I have travelled on a number of occasions. In fact, I am going to be in Munster tomorrow and I had contemplated travelling on this flight, but that changed due to other circumstances.

'So I am very conscious of the fact that this is a flight that is frequented by people from the business community, people who have family reasons to travel to Cork and indeed people who are involved in tourism.

'Our hearts are broken for those people who have lost loved ones in this incident and we want to send our condolences and very deep sympathy on what is a very tragic and traumatic time for themselves.'

Twelve ambulances were on standby at the runway to take any survivors to hospital as they are freed from the wreckage.

Hundreds of stunned passengers were inside the airport when the crash happened.

Northern Ireland's First Minister Peter Robinson, a member of the pro-UK unionist Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) said: 'This is a terrible tragedy and my thoughts are with the families of the bereaved.

'My thoughts are also with the injured and I hope that they will make a full and speedy recovery.'

The Irish Republic's President, Mary McAleese, expressed her deep shock and sadness. A spokeswoman said: 'The President said her thoughts and prayers, and those of all the people of Ireland, are with the families of the deceased and the survivors at this very difficult time.'

The role of First Minister in UK politics is almost identical to that of the state governors in the US. Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales each have their own First Ministers and Parliaments as well as the UK Parliament and UK Prime Minister.

Unfairly, England, the largest part of the UK by far, does not have its own parliament or First Minister and is ruled entirely by the UK parliament and UK Prime Minister, but there are campaigns to change that.

McGuinness has been Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland since May 2007.

Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness was due to take flight that crashed in Cork killing six... but changed his plans at the last minute

By Mail Foreign Service
10th February 2011
Daily Mail

• Six injured, two critical after being trapped inside wreckage
  • Poor visibility scuppered two attempts at landing
  • Plane was catapulted into the air and turned over

Flight: The light aircraft carrying 12 people had made the 250-mile journey from George Best Belfast Airport to Cork before it crashed

Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness was due to take the tragic flight that crashed in Cork killing six people but changed his plans at the last minute, he revealed this afternoon.

The Sinn Fein politician had hoped to fly from Belfast Airport to Cork - a journey he had made many times before - to campaign for the forthcoming elections but made different arrangements.

The light aircraft was making its third attempt at landing in heavy fog just before 10am when it struck the run way and catapulted into the air.

Moment later the plane flipped over in mid-air before crashing onto its roof 1,000ft down the runway as flames engulfed the front of the plane.

Wreckage: Four walking wounded emerged from the burning wreckage of the Manx2 plane which crashed in Cork this morning. At least six people are believed to have died

Rescue: Two firefighteres emerge from the upturned plane after freeing two of the passengers who were trapped inside

Emergency services battled to free passengers who were trapped inside the mangled aircraft

Changes: Martin McGuinness considered taking the ill-fated flight but altered his plans

McGuinness has now revealed that he is a regular traveller of the route and had considered taking the flight.

He was due to campaign in the wider Cork area in support of his party, Sinn Fein, which is contesting the Republic's General Election.

But McGuinness changed his plans at the last minute and never took the flight.

He said: 'This is a route I have travelled on a number of occasions. In fact, I am going to be in Munster tomorrow and I had contemplated travelling on this flight, but that changed due to other circumstances.

'So I am very conscious of the fact that this is a flight that is frequented by people from the business community, people who have family reasons to travel to Cork and indeed people who are involved in tourism.

'Our hearts are broken for those people who have lost loved ones in this incident and we want to send our condolences and very deep sympathy on what is a very tragic and traumatic time for themselves.'

Six people were killed and six people were injured when the plane crashed. Two passengers who were trapped inside the 18-seat aircraft remain in a critical condition.

It is understood that the plane came down and burst into flames after it crashed scattering debris across the runway.

Authorities have not said if the pilot and crew, who were Spanish, survived. The casualties were rushed to Cork University Hospital for emergency treatment. The airport has since been closed.

Eyewitnesses are reported to have seen the plane held in a queue for 20 minutes before it made its third attempt to land.

The 19-year-old plane, a Metroliner SW4 commuter aircraft, had set off from the George Best Belfast Airport at 8.12 am before it tried to land twice.

Fog covered the airport as the plane tried to land one way on the runway then tried the other direction. It finally tried the original direction when it crashed.

Witnesses said the plane struck the runway which catapulted it into the air. The plane then spun over in the air before landing on its roof.

Operation: Concerned onlookers watch as emergency services sift through the damaged plane which crashed this morning

Emergency: Six passengers died in the crash and another two were critically injured. Survivors were taken to Cork University Hospital

Treatment: Fire-fighters treat a crash victim on grass next to the runway. An emergency treatment tent was also put up after the crash

Tom O'Sullivan from Cork County Council said: 'It was a light aircraft with 12 people on board. There were two serious injuries and two walking wounded. Emergency services are currently on the scene.'

A Cork County Council spokesman said that six people had been killed in the crash and six were injured.

Emergency services were still battling for up to two hours after the crash to free two of the survivors who were trapped inside the mangled plane.

Witnesses said the plane struck the runway which catapulted it into the air. The plane then spun over in the air before landing on its roof.

Tom O'Sullivan from Cork County Council said: 'It was a light aircraft with 12 people on board. There were two serious injuries and two walking wounded. Emergency services are currently on the scene.'

A Cork County Council spokesman said that six people had been killed in the crash and six were injured.

Twelve ambulances were on standby at the runway to take any survivors to hospital as they are freed from the wreckage.

Hundreds of stunned passengers were inside the airport when the crash happened.

'Terrible tragedy': Northern Ireland's First Minister and Democratic Unionist Party leader Peter Robinson

Northern Ireland First Minister Peter Robinson and deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness spoke of their shock over the crash.

Mr Robinson said: 'This is a terrible tragedy and my thoughts are with the families of the bereaved.

'My thoughts are also with the injured and I hope that they will make a full and speedy recovery.'

The deputy First Minister said: 'I am shocked at this news and want to convey my condolences to the families, friends and loved ones of those who have lost their lives in the plane crash. My thoughts are also with those who have been injured.

Disaster: Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said that he had almost gone on the flight that crashed killing six people but changed his plans

'This is I think testimony to the unquestionable uncertainty of life. Families that start out either to do a day's business or to enjoy some pleasure have been thrust into circumstances that they could not have imagined.

'This is a route I have travelled on a number of occasions. In fact, I am going to be in Munster tomorrow and I had contemplated travelling on this flight, but that changed due to other circumstances.

'So I am very conscious of the fact that this is a flight that is frequented by people from the business
community, people who have family reasons to travel to Cork and indeed people who are involved in tourism.

Enlarge Turbo propellers: A Manx2 Metroliner SW4 light aircraft similar to the one that crashed in poor visibility on the runway

Enlarge Scene: Ten passengers and two crew were on board the turbo propeller aircraft that left George Best Belfast Airport at 8.12am for Cork Airport (above) in the Irish Republic

Bishop of Cork and Ross John Buckley arrived at the airport to offer support to relatives of the dead and injured.

'I came up here immediately. I understand that there are some relatives here so I'm hoping to meet them later on after this very sad event,' the cleric said. 'All we can offer is our support, our help and our prayers at this time.'

Police and local authorities have appealed to people who believe they may have known people on the flight to stay away from the airport to avoid clogging nearby roads.

A statement released by the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) confirmed the Manx2 Avia Flight No NM7100 with 10 passengers and two crew had crashed on its third attempt at landing.

The airport has been closed following the crash, which happened at around 10am, but the IAA statement said it could not confirm details of injuries or fatalities.

It said: 'The aircraft made an approach to Runway 17 in low vis conditions and went around and did not land and attempted a second landing on Runway 35.

'The aircraft then went around a second time and came back for an approach to Runway 17.

'There is a fire and debris has been scattered onto the runway and over a wide area.'

It added a investigation would be launched.

A spokesman said Cork Airport has been shut. 'There has been a crash, a Manx 2 airline, commuter plane. The emergency services are on the scene,' he said.

The plane was operating a service from George Best Belfast City Airport to Cork.

A spokesman for George Best Belfast City Airport said: 'We can confirm that the Manx 2 aircraft was scheduled to leave Belfast City Airport en route to Cork, flight number NM 7100.

'It left here at 0812 this morning with 10 passengers and two crew on board. We understand there has been an incident at Cork airport involving this aircraft.'

Fire crews and police from across the city and county were drafted in to support the rescue efforts.

The main road leading to the airport was closed to give emergency services quick access.

Jurgen Whyte, senior inspector with the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU), said a team of investigators had been dispatched by helicopter to Cork and a second team was on its way.

The AAIU will examine air traffic control tapes, radar information, weather reports and the condition and operation of the aircraft to establish the cause of the crash.

The Irish Republic's President, Mary McAleese, expressed her deep shock and sadness.

President Mary McAleese expressed her deep shock and sadness. A spokeswoman said: 'The President said her thoughts and prayers, and those of all the people of Ireland, are with the families of the deceased and the survivors at this very difficult time.'

Micheal Martin, Fianna Fail leader, extended his sympathies to the families of the dead and injured.

'I am greatly saddened to learn of the tragic accident in Cork airport,' Mr Martin said.

'My thoughts and prayers are with those who have sadly lost their lives or have incurred injury. I want also to commend the emergency services for their work and commitment.'

Manx2, a 'virtual airline' that operates as a booking service for flights, has been operating the Belfast City to Cork route since October 2010.

The airline was founded in the Isle of Man and carries 100,000 passengers a year.

It announced last September that it is expanding its presence in Northern Ireland, choosing George Best Belfast City Airport as its first permanent base outside the Isle of Man and launching the twice-daily service from Belfast to Cork.

The flight takes an hour and 10 minutes on a Metroliner regional commuter aircraft which, according to Belfast City Airport, provides a quality of service akin to the private charter experience.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited: