Should this A$$hole be off the hook?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
You mean by "off the hook" that his career is over and he has been completely disgraced? What would the charges be? Gross incompetence is not a crime. His victims can sue him and the Ontario government for damages in a civil suit.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You mean by "off the hook" that his career is over and he has been completely disgraced? What would the charges be? Gross incompetence is not a crime. His victims can sue him and the Ontario government for damages in a civil suit.

Give us a break. You don't get to be a doctor by being grossly incompetent. What about his victims who were completely disgraced? Even Relic can come up with a better post than that. :smile:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Give us a break. You don't get to be a doctor by being grossly incompetent. What about his victims who were completely disgraced? Even Relic can come up with a better post than that. :smile:

I wasn't aware incompetence was relegated to specific occupations or professions...

The major problem with laying criminal charges is there is still a burden to prove he knew he was in error when making his conclusions known to investigators or testifying. Aside from some type of confession, how can this be proven? We can't just put everyone who is shown to be an idiot in jail without them having committed a proven criminal act: that is unjust as well as unconstitutional.

Civil liability is an entirely different situation, but (as discussed in the article linked) it would make the most sense coming from the victims of his blunders. I hope he is sued into bankruptcy and beyond, to be quite honest...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wasn't aware incompetence was relegated to specific occupations or professions...

The major problem with laying criminal charges is there is still a burden to prove he knew he was in error when making his conclusions known to investigators or testifying. Aside from some type of confession, how can this be proven? We can't just put everyone who is shown to be an idiot in jail without them having committed a proven criminal act: that is unjust as well as unconstitutional.

Civil liability is an entirely different situation, but (as discussed in the article linked) it would make the most sense coming from the victims of his blunders. I hope he is sued into bankruptcy and beyond, to be quite honest...

How about lying in court? Good for 14 years!

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

Who knows maybe he used to be competent at one time.

I don't believe this guy purposely ruined people's lives or told lies. He testified according to what he believed. Some of his erroneous testimony was based on theories which were commonly accepted at the time and later disproved. The rest were a result of not knowing his ass from a hole in the ground.

I blame the system. How is it possible that someone in his position could screw up for as long as he did, without someone else picking up on it??? Where was the peer review?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
If having your head implanted in your rectum was a crime, the RCMP would be monitoring this forum quite closely. You have the right to remain silent JLM.